2 vs 4

dtd45123
dtd45123 Posts: 2
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have just installed 2 additional speakers on my marine stereo making a total of 4 speakers. The volume of the 4 speakers is less than the volume of 2. Is this normal? What can be done to correct this?
Post edited by dtd45123 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2007
    One or several speakers may be out of phase. Check to make sure you hooked them up properly. If it's not obvious which one may be the problem, reverse polarity one by one and see if it helps.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    Welcome to Club Polk
    If you are driving them with just a head unit there just isn't enough currant to drive 4 speakers to full volume. An amp should be added to the system.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Aimen RG
    Aimen RG Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    double number of speakrs gives u 3db increase

if u have connected them in series, effectively doubling thr impedance, the amp will be producing half the power, that is 3db less, so no gain here

if u have connected them in parellel, halfing thr impedance, the amp will produce double the power IF IT HAS THE POWER, giving u 6db increase overall

as stated earlier
    either some speaker is out of phase
    or u have wired them wrongly.
    wiring details will help.
    Pioneer DEH-1600
    polkaudio db 650
    polkaudio db 675
    polkaudio momo 10"
    KICKER zx650.4
  • dtd45123
    dtd45123 Posts: 2
    edited December 2007
    I am just using the head unit for power 200W. I am sure they are hooked up correctly. I am using 4 50W speakers wired as instructed from the unit.