What do you think/What would you do?

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is from Northern Illinois University's website:
Police investigate anonymous threat in residence hall
12/9/07 6:45 p.m.

NIU officials are investigating a threat posted late Saturday evening in a campus residence hall which included a racial slur and references to the Virginia Tech shootings.

Written in black ink on a restroom wall in the Grant Towers D complex were two separate entries claiming that “things will change most hastily” in the final days of the current semester.

“Tell those n---ers to go home,” the first entry reads. “ME / OUT … Die Sem Burr 10th … Hmz Sdn Cr.” Officials believe the text message-style shorthand refers to “December 10” and “Holmes Student Center.” Underlined letters within the first entry spell out the word “WATCH.”

Following the initial entry is a second set of comments reading “What time? The VA tech shooters messed up w/ having only one shooter …”

University leaders notified all students, faculty and staff about the threats through postings on the NIU website, all-campus email, voicemail, fliers and area news media. Security in and around the residence halls, student center and other campus buildings has also been increased, and the campus remains under a security alert through the end of the semester.

Additional communications and offers of assistance for students, faculty, staff and visitors will continue throughout the week. Updated information will be provided as it becomes available on the university website at www.niu.edu.

“My primary concern is for the safety of all members of our campus community, and to that end, we will err on the side of caution in all our actions,” said NIU President John Peters. “We will not tolerate threats against individuals or groups,” Peters said, “nor will we tolerate ‘hate speech’ of any type on this campus.”

Final exams will proceed as scheduled, and university officials said students and staff should remain “calm but vigilant.” Anyone with information about the threats are urged to contact the NIU Tipline at (815) 753-TIPS, or their local Crimestoppers or law enforcement agency.

Do you risk going to your one class tomorrow morning? Do you go and just pay very close attention to your surroundings? Do you quit school all together and lock yourself in your basement because it seems as though everywhere is being shot up these days.

Opinions needed.

Thanks,
Adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    Go back to school and for tonight....get back to studying. Have faith that the powers that be will take care of the "threat".

I'm sure the FBI and other agencies are working close at hand by now, along with local agencies to insure that there will not be an "issue".

For all you know, it's just some kid wanting to dis the exams.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • swerve
    edited December 2007
    yeah i have a feeling it's someone trying to get out of exams... but that's just too hard to pass up these days. i don't have to go to class tomorrow...but my girlfriend does.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    Situational awareness. Know what's going on around you, and know where your exits are. If something does happen, don't bunch up in the corners or in groups. It's sad that we even have to think this way, but with the amount of things happening, and the copycats, it's just a fact of life. Be aware and be smart, and when the **** hits the fan, don't cower and loose your wits.

The above is bascially what a day and a half of real expensive security training for exec's travelling internationally taught me.

Go to class and keep your head and eyes open. Good luck and be safe.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    well put !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited December 2007
    Scary stuff. Still know people that go to NIU. If this sort of thing would have happened at ISU (where I went) 12 years ago I'm not sure as a student how I would have handled it.

It really pays to be overly cautious in these situations. I'm sure it isn't credible and someone is just trying to disrupt finals.......etc. But in today's world one can never be sure. Scary times we live in right now and precaution is the word of the day.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I would suggest we have a group hug, go see the Golden Compass and have an orgy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • swerve
    edited December 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I would suggest we have a group hug, go see the Golden Compass and have an orgy.

i vote for this
    cats.vans.bag...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Put on a bullet proof vest and go to class.
  • cruzer
    cruzer Posts: 84
    edited December 2007
    Go to class. We had a similar threat at my school at this same time last year. With the increased security and people being aware, it is not likely that something will happen. Of course I could just be saying that because I also went to that famous high school. I still think you'll be fine.