How to hook up older polk audio speakers with the red and black plugs in the back

Rossinator28
Rossinator28 Posts: 3
I am such a loser. I cant find anywhere that shows how to and what you do to hook up older polk audio speakers. They have wood around the outside and a black screen on the front. In the back there is 2 plugs with red and black unscrewable caps on them. PLZ Help.:confused:
Post edited by Rossinator28 on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    The posts might have holes through them. If so, run the wires through the holes and tighten the caps down to secure the wire. If no holes, wrap the wire around the outside of the post and hold it in place while you tighten the cap down to secure it.

There are 2 strands of wire for each speaker. On your receiver, there will be a red plug and a black plug where the speaker wires plug in. Make sure the strand that goes with the red plug on the receiver goes onto the post with the red cap on the speaker. Red with red, black with black.

Hope this helps.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Rossinator28
    edited December 2007
    well 1 i don't have a reciever, and 2 what kind of wire do you use. (its funny i found them after not being used for prob 6 years or more)
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    OK, I see where you're coming from now. I'm going to start over assuming you have no experience with stereos.

Unlike computer speakers, the speakers you have are not "self powered". Computer speakers plug into the wall and contain their own amplifier to amplify the signal your computer sends them. Stereo speakers do not plug into the wall and require an external amplifier, which is what the receiver is. The receiver amplifies the signal before sending it to the speakers, so the signal also becomes the power.

To use these speakers, you need a receiver/amplifier. You can probably find a cheap used one off of Craigslist.

Any type of wire 18 gauge or larger (smaller gauge number - the number goes down as the wire thickness increases) will work.

I hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    My system

• Rossinator28
    edited December 2007
    ty so much and thanks for welcoming me
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Nice posts nms. Bravo.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    Nice posts nms. Bravo.

Thanks. Just givin' back a little of what you guys gave me these past weeks!
    My system

• PLNix1960
    PLNix1960 Posts: 1

My receiver has a place for Speakers A and Speakers B. Does it matter which side I use?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,419
    Not really as long as you select the corresponding A or B position on the controls.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CatCrow
    CatCrow Posts: 1
    Old speakers are the best. Enjoy the sweet sound of nostalgia!