popping noise

vikashp
vikashp Posts: 11
edited September 2001 in Technical/Setup
Hi all,

I have been using Polk SDA series for 13 years. One issue I have is that at low bass when the volume is turned fairly loud I receive a popping/fluttering noise from the 6.5" woofers. It's almost like the cone moves too far and hits the chassis. The problem occured with my SDA-1C and SRS 2.3. I am using a Denon AVR3600 receiver which produces 110x2 stereo mode. Is the problem related to not enough power? I have just purchased a 200x3 Acurus Amp and wondering if that will help this problem. My tweeters also cutout (thermal protection) when listening to loud music for a while.

Thanks,

Vik
Post edited by vikashp on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2001
    we have a winner!!! that is the unrighten law in the polk forum
    when in doubt get more power.

scott:cool:
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2001
    The popping sound would be that of your 6.5 driver(s) bottoming out.
    They are being overdriven. You should check their spyders for damage.

The SDAs you mention will take a heck of a lot of power into them. It simply has to be really clean, quality power. Amps that have gobs of high current power to start with and have plenty of headroom work best. I am a fan of Acurus amps and familiar with the one you bought (200x3). This amp will give you 200 watts RMS per chan. into 8ohms and 250 watts RMS per chan. into 4ohms. (It's a bit surprising that 250 @ 4ohms is all it will manage.) However, you will still not be able to go as nuts as perhaps you'd like to with it. It's ahead of what you're replacing believe me, but be careful with it.

Sometines the tweeter protection that comes stock gets trigger happy once they've beeen tripped a few times. This will probably only get worse no matter what amp you use. Check with Polk for some higher value ones and a schematic. Use a lower powered (say 30-40 watt) soldering iron to make the swap, not a higher wattage soldering gun. (Usually 75 to 250 watts.) It takes a steady hand and a bit of patients but not much else. (I fixed this problem myself years ago with my 2Bs, but I've never had a single problem with my 2.3s.)