What to do...

shadowofnight
shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Its 10:30pm and you roll up into a gas station to fill up...swipe your card...fill up...grab receipt and it only says $7.26 ( Well for me anyways...22 gallons x 33 cents ) :eek:

Really only have 3 choices...

A. Leave with a big smile on your face and tell no one

B. Pick up your cell phone and call everyone you know for almost free gas

C. Walk over to the door and call the stations number and report it

As much as I would want to do B....I would have to do C...even though the oil companies have been raping me for as many years as I can remember...its the poor station owner who is going to take it in the shorts for this one...not big oil. This scenario basically just happened in Wis.....here is the story

" Drivers line up in rural Wis. after worker accidentally drops gas to 33 cents
MINOCQUA, Wis. - Dozens of drivers made a mad rush for cheap gas after a station employee accidentally changed the price to 33 cents a gallon.

An employee closing Trig's Minocqua Shell for the night meant to drop the price of gas by one cent, but mistakenly dropped a nine from the $3.299 a gallon in the computer, making the price of gas 32.9 cents Monday night.

He left about 10 p.m., but drivers could still use their credit cards to buy gas.

Word of the bargain spread fast in the rural northern Wisconsin community, with 42 people buying 586 gallons of gas in an hour and 45 minutes. One person had pumped 27 gallons and two purchased 18 gallons.

Local police saw the horde at the station and called store manager Andrea Reuland, who went to the station and pushed the emergency stop.

"There were cars two deep at each of my pumps," said Reuland, who knew many of the drivers and told them they were being dishonest - the main store sign had the correct price.

"I was very upset that there's that many dishonest people," she said. "They knew there was a problem, and they took advantage of an employee's mistake and I think that's terrible."

The employee, who has been there for about six months, had changed the gas prices 25 times in the past six months.

"It was an honest mistake," Reuland said. "I could have done it."

Area residents were still talking about it Friday morning.

"Was it you guys?" a woman in the station asked Reuland. "Why do I always miss the good stuff?"
The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
Post edited by shadowofnight on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,442
    edited December 2007
    You know, the painful thing for me is that I remember when gas was that cheap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    Me too, now shut up you old ****.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    Ok dad. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »

Earliest I remember for my first fillup with a new license in hand was 83 cents....guess that makes me a semi-old **** :D
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »

hehe....old ****....yeah....hehe:D

You could get Sunoco 260 for that price. Remember the blend your own octane pumps?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    Sure do.

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2007
    Carl might remember the old Tokheim hand pumps. The ones with the big glass chambers at the top.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    Hehe....

Do you remember Gulf? They had a slogan like, Gulf kicks or some such? They gave away these plastic horseshoes that had magnets, so you could put them on your car.

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    edited December 2007
    Yeah! They would give you an "Extra Kick Horseshoe" with a premium fill up. Gulf also marketed their fuel as the Gas with Guts.

There were the Sunoco antenna balls, and how about the Standard Oil Tiger in the Tank tails...LOL Oh man, tripping down memory lane.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    Hehe......yeah, I remember all of those. The tails were really cool.

President of Club Polk

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    You wouldn't even be helping the station owner- you'd be saving the poor schlep behind the counter-because the owner would simply say "It happened on your shift- your paying ME the difference".
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, tell the store asap. It's always right to do right.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    You wouldn't even be helping the station owner- you'd be saving the poor schlep behind the counter-because the owner would simply say "It happened on your shift- your paying ME the difference".

The owner seemed to be a fair guy...owning up that it was not a careless mistake. I dont think he would have asked the employee for reimbursment.

The employee, who has been there for about six months, had changed the gas prices 25 times in the past six months.

"It was an honest mistake," Reuland said. "I could have done it."
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Please diregard my previous response. I did not read the whole post, just the 1st half, which I interpreted to be hypothetical.
    And my response was based on several stories like that where the employee gets fired.
    The world is making me a hardcore pessimist.
    Sorry:-(
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited December 2007
    Buy about 50 gallosn worth in a container from Home Depot ---

Then report it... :)

I kid, I kid -- well kind of.. when you buy roughly 60 gallons a month...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited December 2007
    Im not even in the habit of grabbing the receipt anymore. It says, "print receipt", I choose no and hop into truck. I don't balance the check book so I figure that's just some piece of paper in my wallet for the next month. I'm a Boy Scout at heart and would have made some sort of attempt to tell the owners.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    I'd fill up my tank and then report it. It's basically a finder's fee in my mind.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Reporting it is always the right thing.

I remember when gas was $0.249 at the Hess station. This station was in a borough called Fernwood which was about two blocks square. $5.00 in gas got you 20 gallons and back then the gas tanks were a lot bigger.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    I'd report it for sure. Karma can be a biznach
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2007
    and the silence was deafening

RT1
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited December 2007
    I remember 91 cents
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Ha, I think $1.97 is about as far back as I can remember. Sure wish it was that again, though. :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2007
    I miss the guy pumping the gas, washing the windshield, checking the oil, trans fluid and tire pressure then giving the kids a piece of candy. All for .36 a gallon. Those days are gone for sure.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Ha, I think $1.97 is about as far back as I can remember. Sure wish it was that again, though. :(

I don't even remember (in my lifetime) if gas was ever under $2.00! That was like in the early to mid-90s.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Same time period for me, just a different area of the country.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    The earliest I remember is 32 cents per gallon and you could mail a letter for five cents.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited December 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    The earliest I remember is 32 cents per gallon and you could mail a letter for five cents.

Yup. That's as far back as I can remember. I think Cokes were about a quarter out of a machine?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    I miss the guy pumping the gas, washing the windshield, checking the oil, trans fluid and tire pressure then giving the kids a piece of candy. All for .36 a gallon. Those days are gone for sure.

ha ha ha, NJ still has full service pumping gas. So one day I asked the fellow doing the pumping if he could check my oil, first he looked at me like I had two heads then he said, "we are not allowed to do that."

True story!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I don't even remember (in my lifetime) if gas was ever under $2.00! That was like in the early to mid-90s.

C'mon man 1998 New Jersey, $0.75 per gallon. Hyatts gas station in Voorhees, NJ.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    C'mon man 1998 New Jersey, $0.75 per gallon. Hyatts gas station in Voorhees, NJ.

Dude that was in the mid 80's:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben