MINI gets a new transmission

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
My car went in 3 weeks ago yesterday for her 60k service. They found a cracked shift linkage bracket. It took a week to get that part. After it was replaced the gearbox started grinding and she had shifting trouble. From CarMax to MINI of Irvine she went. After several days they determined it was the throwout bearing, my cost I was told, $1,300 for a new clutch (Irvine MINI wanted $2,200).

After getting her back to CarMax a couple of days ago they gutted her only to find the clutch at 50% and no issues with the throwout bearing. So, they just told me this morning that replacing the bracket caused the gears to start failing.

Either way, she's getting a new tranny next week. Along with that I'll be getting a new clutch assembly installed. No need to put it all back together with the old parts.

The total bill for this will be well over $5,000. My cost due to the extended warranty $50, plus the parts for the clutch.

While I love this car and really can think of anything else I'd want, no way will I ever own one without warranty coverage.

Oh, and my loaner cars, first a 2007 Toyota 4 Runner (what a piece of junk that was) and now a 2004 Honda Civic, not much better then the Toyota, it's also all covered under the warranty.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Jeeze, Ron....how long have you had that car? It seems like it's only a year or two old, no?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    It's a 2003 and I've had it for about 18 months. She had 50k miles when I bought it. The tranny in the early model years were crap, I'm quite surprised it lasted this long actually. I've read stories on the MINI forums about them crapping out driving it off the lot, brand new.

These cars have lots of problems, especially the early ones. After all it was a 100% redesign in 2002 (first year build) and during the building is when BMW bought them from Rover and hastily finished them up to get them to the streets.

Of course I pretty much new this buying in, that's why I paid for the warranty. Once this is done that warranty will have paid for itself 4x's over.
    If...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Rgr that.....it's a SWEET looking ride though...and people are paying stupid cash for them.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    Wow...I had no idea their maint record was so bad ....I have a friend that has the supercharged model and he hasnt had any major issues..its also his daily driver. They are really great cars to drive though...and I actually fit very well in it to my amazement.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited December 2007
    My wife has a '06 supercharged model purchased last year from the good folks at Mini of Charleston and has had no problems. She's not a car person but really loves her Mini.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    The later year MINIs are not as problem prone as the early ones. You guys with the later build years will most likely not have too many issues, although, I have read on the MINI forums that the CVT tranny's are crapping out, alot. That seems to be the biggest issue with the later year builds.
    If...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,444
    edited December 2007
    The total bill for this will be well over $5,000. My cost due to the extended warranty $50, plus the parts for the clutch.

Damn, that extended warranty was money well spent.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    Oh hell ya it was. I know now, I'll never own a MINI without a warranty.
    If...
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    Well, the warranty company will not pay, why, rust killed the transmission. Luckily when all is said and done I'll only be out of pocket about $1,500 for the new transmission. I was able to negotiate.

The trans shop said that this is not the original trans from the car and this one most likely had contact with salt water.

MINITrans1.jpg?t=1199390101

MINITrans2.jpg?t=1199390101
    If...
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited January 2008
    holy crap, Ron! sorry to hear bout your mini. So, it is possible that the previous owner took a ride along the sandy beach on the mini?

again, that is a bummer.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    Dang, that's hard on the eyes! Sorry to hear you're having to pay for it yourself.

Good luck on pontiac finding a solstice new car gxp.

:D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    I hope you at least had a nice smoke after the guy who sold you the car was through....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    polkatese wrote: »
    holy crap, Ron! sorry to hear bout your mini. So, it is possible that the previous owner took a ride along the sandy beach on the mini?

again, that is a bummer.

The rest of the MINI is fine, no damage at all, it's quite obvious that the trans was replaced in this car at some point before I got it.

Hey Mr. Bliss you hinting at something? I'm having difficulty reading your post. :)
    If...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    I'm truly surprised that you found the 4Runner to be a piece of junk. I've had a 2004 model for almost 4 years now without a single problem - it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned, by far.

That's the first time I've ever heard one referred to as 'a piece of junk'...
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    I had a 2007 for a week as a rental. Fit and finish were poor and it road like a ship on high seas, it was all over the road, very poor handling. Not something I'd ever buy.
    If...
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited January 2008
    Man, that tranny is ugly. What's weird is the case looks pretty damn clean on the outside. Sorry to hear you had to put out that kind of money, but you must be a skilled negotiator. $1500 from $5k is great work!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    it road like a ship on high seas, it was all over the road, very poor handling. Not something I'd ever buy.

That doesn't surprise me, talk about different animals. I can't stand driving my wife's car or van since I'm so used to the way my truck handles.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited January 2008
    I'd rip carmax all up and down on the cost of repairs. If you spent the money on the extended warranty and they want to hose you for rust that happened before you took delivery of the thing, then they should be repairing it totally on them for whatever the warranty company doesn't owe.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited January 2008
    thats effing insane. you should SERIOUSLY consider going after the guy that sold you the car. I'm usually the last person to say that following the caveat emptor principal, but a rusted out tranny certainly changes my mind in this case. if this isnt a clear disclosure issue, I dont know what is. call me kooky, but trannies like this dont rust in 18 months. I got a feeling this was a flood car!

might be alot more problems with this bad boy ron, better punch out of this car fast
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    CARMAX??? - No wonder you are having problems. I have yet to see a decent deal from those guys. Whenever I talk to someone about financing a car from there, I know I won't be able to do it unless they are putting a sizeable down payment because they are paying way more than retail. If you get it at anywhere near what it should be selling for, there is something wrong. If they sold you the car and the warranty...they should fix it under the warranty. If not they should be hearing from an attorney!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • strider
    edited January 2008
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I got a feeling this was a flood car!

:eek:Hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it....When was Katrina??? Ever do a Carfax report on your vin?
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2008
    strider wrote: »
    :eek:Hadn't thought of that, but now that you mention it....When was Katrina??? Ever do a Carfax report on your vin?

That was the first thing I thought when I saw the tranny. I would do a car fax and if it was titled in the Katrina stricken area I would think you have a case against the seller.

Good luck Sorry for your troubles.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    CARMAX??? - No wonder you are having problems. I have yet to see a decent deal from those guys.
    I have bought several excellent deals...latest a 2002 BMW 745i for $23k, still under BMW warranty. KBB shows $30k value. Well, my ex-roommate works there so my last 3 cars have been employee purchases. :D

Extended warranties are rarely worth the paper they are printed on, unless they are from manufacturer. Sorry to hear about the troubles, nothing new in the car world.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2008
    Where was the tranny fluid??? No tranny that hasn't been sitting on a bench unprotected should have rust like that.....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    strider wrote: »
    Man, that tranny is ugly. What's weird is the case looks pretty damn clean on the outside. Sorry to hear you had to put out that kind of money, but you must be a skilled negotiator. $1500 from $5k is great work!

You have to add to that $1500 the $1200 or so for the work I requested them to do, brakes, 60k service and clutch parts. Plus the fact that almost another $2000 is tied up in my extended warranty that I have to send off a letter of cancelation to get back.

Sorry my post wasn't clearer on that.

The car came up clean with the CarFax report but so much can happen to a car that doesn't get reported I don't take those reports too seriously.
    If...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited January 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    The car came up clean with the CarFax report but so much can happen to a car that doesn't get reported I don't take those reports too seriously.
    But you do take CS seriously?!?!

My word....

;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    Can someone (briefly) explain why Consumer Reports is abbreviated CS?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited January 2008
    CF

ANYWAY, those pics make me wanna murder someone. and it ain't even my tranny!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    Sorry, my bad, I have no idea where CS came from, my a$$ maybe.
    If...
  • mrmusicman
    mrmusicman Posts: 303
    edited January 2008
    It looks like someone used saltwater for tranny fluid.Something seems fishey,(no pun intended)I don't understand how that much rust could exist inside a lubed and functioning trans.Are you sure thats even the tranny that came out of your car...I'd call b.s.:mad:
    Outlaw 990 Processor
    Outlaw 755 Amp
    Denon 2900 dvd-sacd
    Dishnetwork HD-Dvr
    55" Sony LCD RPTV
    Lsi 9-fronts
    Lsic-center
    Rt55i- surrounds
    Velodyne cht-10 sub

2007 Dodge Quad cab
    Kenwood Excelon KDC-X891
    JL Audio 300/V2