Devry or Itt

bigaudiofanatic
bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Looking into tech schools came down to Devry or Itt. Anyone going to go or attending these.
HT setup
Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
Denon DBP-1610
Monster HTS 1650
Carver A400X :cool:
MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
Kef 104/2
URC MX-780 Remote
Sonos Play 1

Living Room
63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
Polk Surroundbar 3000
Samsung BD-C7900
Post edited by bigaudiofanatic on

Comments

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2007
    I attented devry in woodbridge a few years ago. I checked out Itt before deciding on devry. Today, I'd recommend college.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    I hired a guy I knew as a network admin who went to 2 years at ITT. He knows his stuff that’s for sure but he very quickly realized that he needs to go for his bachelors.. at a traditional university. He'll be headed that way soon. He makes a good money from me but knows that if he ever got laid off or fired he wouldn’t make nearly as much without that traditional bachelors (which is why hes gonna go get it). Most IT jobs around here (I am in a tech industry area of the world) require a traditional Bachelors just to get in the door with an interview
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    Depends on what you are going to a technical school for. I don't recommend the technical schools to many people because they have loftier goals in their careers that only a B.S. or B.A. will get them.

If you live in NJ, I would forgo the tech school and utilize the community college system we have here. Many CC's in NJ are accredited and credits transfer. They are a cheaper alternative to a 4-5 year school and even a tech school 'cause your tax dollars pay for them. You do 2 years at a CC and get your associates and go get a job in your field. Lotsa places will pay for your education if want to further it. Then go and finish your degree at a University. There are plenty of very good schools in the area and New Jersey actually has a tech school that, last I checked, was a complete unknown but rater higher than MIT in academics. NJIT is an excellent tech school up north. If you live closer to the Philly area, you have Drexel, University of Pennsylvania and Penn State. There is also Rutgers which is all over the state. Those are tech programs. The laundry list of schools of higher education in the area is much, much longer.

That is all assuming that you are out of high school for a while and looking to increase your earning potential. If you are still in high school and looking for your next step, don't even waste your time with a technical school unless you are going for like auto mechanics or some other industry like that. Either go straight to a university somewhere or do the community college thing and then a university.

A degree will get much, much farther than a piece of paper full of certifications from any tech school.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    My nephew went the opposite way....degree from San Jose State first...then went to DeVry for specialized training in the field he wanted. DeVry really helped him bigtime and he enjoyed the time spent there.

Right after graduating from DeVry he got in at Cisco for a one year temp to perm position....now he just needs to move out of his moms house :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • ESavinon
    edited December 2007
    NJIT better than MIT? Hogwash.
    NJIT is an excellent university but its not better than MIT.
    I did a semester at NJIT after completing my certification at DEVRY.
    I liked NJIT but finished my degree at CCNY.
    If you want a highly rated engineering university in the ny tri state area,
    POLYTECHNIC University in Brooklyn is rated number 5 in the us.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    NJIT better than MIT? Hogwash.
    NJIT is an excellent university but its not better than MIT.
    I did a semester at NJIT after completing my certification at DEVRY.
    I liked NJIT but finished my degree at CCNY.
    If you want a highly rated engineering university in the ny tri state area,
    POLYTECHNIC University in Brooklyn is rated number 5 in the us.

OK, tough guy, whatever you say.

I don't rank colleges personally. All I know is that when I applied to NJIT, they were number 2 in the country and since 1996, they haven't dipped below number 4 and they are ALWAYS ranked higher than Polytechnic. That's not my rankings either. The various rags that rank colleges consistently put NJIT at the top of the list. I would have gone but I didn't have ACT scores and didn't want to wait 2 years to take them again. So I got in to Drexel University and got my duhgree there.

Man, you guys will turn ANYTHING into a pissing contest!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    MIT is consistently ranked in the TOP 5 universities in the WORLD by many sources along with Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, UC Berkley, Oxford...(actual rank depends on the list and year) I don't recall seing NJIT on the list. Wait there they are...in the 2004 report of the top 500 Universities Worldwide as reported in the NY Times they are lumped with the group of 404-502. Not quite up there with MIT...but I can't say too much...my Alma Mater it right there with NJIT.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    NJIT??? Maybe top 5 at schools with no post-graduate programs.

It's the Masters, PhD, and other research activities that make schools like MIT and Georgia Tech what they are. (And yes, Georgia Tech can more than hold its own against a place like MIT, or better it in more than a handful of areas.)

Anyway, if your state will pay for community college, then that's a no-brainer compared to DeVry or ITT. You can get many similar types of course work in community colleges that have high-tech companies within their respective communities.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    I think Devry offers a bachelors , I don't know if ITT does?
    good luck.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2007
    If you go with DeVry be sure to take as many classes as you can at a community college or small college that will transfer. Get your class list for the major you want and get in touch with a DeVry and community college advisor to see what will transfer (they should know). My two brothers and I all went to DeVry and their core liberal arts classes are no better than ones you can get for 1/5 the price. I transferred a lot from Kent State which saved me mucho dinero.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    (And yes, Georgia Tech can more than hold its own against a place like MIT, or better it in more than a handful of areas.)

I give Georgia Tech credit, they have one of the more clever academic tee shirts I've seen :
    MIT, The Georgia Tech of the North
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited December 2007
    NJIT is better than MIT - lmao...

Wanna buy a bridge?

Jstas wrote: »
    Depends on what you are going to a technical school for. I don't recommend the technical schools to many people because they have loftier goals in their careers that only a B.S. or B.A. will get them.

If you live in NJ, I would forgo the tech school and utilize the community college system we have here. Many CC's in NJ are accredited and credits transfer. They are a cheaper alternative to a 4-5 year school and even a tech school 'cause your tax dollars pay for them. You do 2 years at a CC and get your associates and go get a job in your field. Lotsa places will pay for your education if want to further it. Then go and finish your degree at a University. There are plenty of very good schools in the area and New Jersey actually has a tech school that, last I checked, was a complete unknown but rater higher than MIT in academics. NJIT is an excellent tech school up north. If you live closer to the Philly area, you have Drexel, University of Pennsylvania and Penn State. There is also Rutgers which is all over the state. Those are tech programs. The laundry list of schools of higher education in the area is much, much longer.

That is all assuming that you are out of high school for a while and looking to increase your earning potential. If you are still in high school and looking for your next step, don't even waste your time with a technical school unless you are going for like auto mechanics or some other industry like that. Either go straight to a university somewhere or do the community college thing and then a university.

A degree will get much, much farther than a piece of paper full of certifications from any tech school.
  • ESavinon
    edited December 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    NJIT??? Maybe top 5 at schools with no post-graduate programs.

It's the Masters, PhD, and other research activities that make schools like MIT and Georgia Tech what they are. (And yes, Georgia Tech can more than hold its own against a place like MIT, or better it in more than a handful of areas.)

Anyway, if your state will pay for community college, then that's a no-brainer compared to DeVry or ITT. You can get many similar types of course work in community colleges that have high-tech companies within their respective communities.

Wes

Georgia Tech is a better contender than NJIT in terms of ratings.
    while i agree that going to ITT or Devry is better than no education, Your money will be better spent on a community college or better yet a state University.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited December 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    OK, tough guy, whatever you say.

I don't rank colleges personally. All I know is that when I applied to NJIT, they were number 2 in the country and since 1996, they haven't dipped below number 4 and they are ALWAYS ranked higher than Polytechnic. That's not my rankings either. The various rags that rank colleges consistently put NJIT at the top of the list. I would have gone but I didn't have ACT scores and didn't want to wait 2 years to take them again. So I got in to Drexel University and got my duhgree there.

Man, you guys will turn ANYTHING into a pissing contest!

No pissing contest here just expressing my oppinion based on information read.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Composite Table of Engineering School Rankings

U.S. News & World Report

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    2. Stanford University
    3. University of California- Berkeley
    4. Georgia Institute of Technology
    5. University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign
    6. Purdue University - West Lafayette
    6. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
    7. Carnegie Mellon University
    8. University of Southern California (Viterbi)
    9. California Institute of Technology

I'm a Purdue Engineer!!!
  • ESavinon
    edited December 2007
    Whatever happened to caltech? they used to be in the top 5.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I give Georgia Tech credit, they have one of the more clever academic tee shirts I've seen :
    MIT, The Georgia Tech of the North

That's always been one of my favorites too. :) I also like:
    We don't fit the mold. We make it.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d