Rural area internet options?

MattN03
MattN03 Posts: 558
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Besides dial-up, what are my options in a rural area? I was hoping that wireless DSL (based off direct line of sight of cell towers) would work, but there isn't a direct line of sight at our house to a tower. Satellite and a Sprint/Verizion card are the only other options I know of. Is there anything else? What is better-satellite or Sprint/Verizion card? We only want internet for surfing, paying bills, watching an occasional TV show we missed, & online shopping. We don't do any gaming at all.
Post edited by MattN03 on

Comments

• skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited December 2007
    Satellite is better than dial-up for downloads, but uploads are about as slow as dial-up. The equipment costs around $800 too. Haven't tried the cell cards, but I've heard they are pretty good. getting a good ISP is one of the main drawbacks of country living, but the benefits make it well worthwhile to me. At least I have DSL at work.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited December 2007
    whats your zip code?
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    bruss wrote: »

I haven't seen the first one, but I've been trying to get WiMax out for the last 2.5 weeks to see if we have signal at the house or not. Zip is 40330.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    2 cans and a string.

A real long string.
    Sal Palooza
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited December 2007
    I live in a very rural area, and just started receiving Verizon Rev A EVDO. I then pipe that in to a EVDO/ wireless router to spread around the house. Works pretty well, but bandwidth is dictated by your cell reception. Even at 1-2 bars, I still get around 600K down. You might check if you or a friend has a newer phone capable of EVDO, and see how your reception is before trying.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Direcway/HughesNET works well for satellite broadband.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    isn't there a new internet service that goes through the power lines?
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    The electric cooperative I work for is partnering with Wi-Power for rural broadband solutions. Might check and see if they have something too.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited December 2007
    Smoke signals?
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    2 cans and a string.

A real long string.

Funny I been telling people that 2 cans and a string may sound better then the too compressed cell phone call.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    MattN03 wrote: »
    Besides dial-up, what are my options in a rural area? I was hoping that wireless DSL (based off direct line of sight of cell towers) would work, but there isn't a direct line of sight at our house to a tower. Satellite and a Sprint/Verizion card are the only other options I know of. Is there anything else? What is better-satellite or Sprint/Verizion card? We only want internet for surfing, paying bills, watching an occasional TV show we missed, & online shopping. We don't do any gaming at all.

I would go with the cell based internet any day over satellite if you can get it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I would go with the cell based internet any day over satellite if you can get it.
    I had a Verizon wireless card for my laptop that worked well in most areas that had good cell service. You can get a pcmcia to pci slot adapter for about $35 for a regular pc.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2007
    I have the DirectTV/Wildblue satellite internet service at my farm in IA. It's slower than my cable internet at my place in IL, but it's way better than any dial-up I was able to get. There is a little bit of a lag time, but I can be on my company email via a VPN connection with no problems at all. I did have a little issue the other weekend when the dish had a 1/2" of ice covering it :(
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    I have a friend with WildBlue, and she is satisfied with it.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited December 2007
    Datastorm wrote: »
    Thats not true, I had Wildblue for about a year and had a 1.5mb download and 256 kbps upload on it. The equipment was $300. I had it through my local telephone coop so you might see if they are offering it, otherwise you just go through Wildblue direct.

Theres just one thing you have to get use to, though, when you click on a link theres a couple second delay before the page starts loading. Once it starts loading its very fast. My downloads were blazing on it. Secure sights are a little on the slow side also.

Never heard of Wildblue, the cost I was quoting was for Hughes/Directway. A friend had the service and downloads were comparable to DSL, but uploads were IDSL speed at best.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Direcway/HughesNET works well for satellite broadband.

I would agree...I dont use the service myself...but have set it up for friends and clients out in the boonies
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2007
    I've got an AT&T aircard through work that I use when a wi-fi network isn't available. It's fairly quick and uses USB.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • MattN03
    edited December 2007
    Just an update for everyone. My Sprint wireless broadband card arrived today. It has worked quite well tonight and I think is comparable to my old cable connection speed. I was able to get 894k down & 179k up at this site using the Chicago server. In general, websites seem to load about the same, and I can stream YouTube with no problems. The card I have is a Novatel Ovation U727 and plugs into any USB port and has built in GPS capabilities which could be nice if we get a laptop sometime. This seems to be a nice option when cable or DSL isn't available-at least if you have decent cellular service!
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    Sounds way cool, and just think you can now surf anywhere. :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23