Transferring Film to DVD

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hi,

Most of my dad's home movies were shot in Super 8, 16mm, or 8mm film back in the 60's and 70s. I would like to transfer them to DVD, but I have no clue as to how.

I know how to transfer VHS, Video8, and Hi8 tapes to DVD, but it seems that the process is very different with film.

BTW, the film reels were stored in a cool, dry place.

Any ideas?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    My dad took our really old stuff (I'd never seen it) to a small place by his house who did it for a fee. He has VHX and 8mm film (40+ years old). He made copies for the DVD's and gave them to us. Was good stuff. People who do that stuff are all over the place.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    My dad took our really old stuff (I'd never seen it) to a small place by his house who did it for a fee. He has VHX and 8mm film (40+ years old). He made copies for the DVD's and gave them to us. Was good stuff. People who do that stuff are all over the place.

Thanks.

If I were to do it myself, I would assume that I need at least an 8mm film projector....that way I can project it on a wall and record with a DV camcorder?

Or does this NOT work well?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Systems
    edited December 2007
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Datastorm wrote: »

Thanks. The thing is, I'm not even sure if 40+ year old film can still be played without breaking. My dad told me a common problem was film getting chewed up in a projector and that happened easily.

Silverti - how was the quality of the transfer?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Systems
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Thanks. The thing is, I'm not even sure if 40+ year old film can still be played without breaking. My dad told me a common problem was film getting chewed up in a projector and that happened easily.

Silverti - how was the quality of the transfer?

It looked like I would expect it to, no problems at all. The VHS video was on the unit he bought (probably the first FHS camcorders) back in like 1983. Those looked like I expected them to.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    It looked like I would expect it to, no problems at all. The VHS video was on the unit he bought (probably the first FHS camcorders) back in like 1983. Those looked like I expected them to.

I would assume then the quality was good. Basically I just want to see what's on the film(s) as my grandmother is VERY old and it would bring back lots of past memories...

I guess buying a film projector is a no-no.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Systems
    edited December 2007
    Ya, I rip my old 8mm Sony tapes using my old camcorder (15ish years old). Last time I fired up my process I put in an old tape that was kind of a crappy one that my wife had recorded on. It ripped the tape in 2. Since then, I don’t try to rip my own old school 8mm any more. I'm going to have to do what we’ve been talking about, having an expert do it who has much better equipment to do it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Ya, I rip my old 8mm Sony tapes using my old camcorder (15ish years old). Last time I fired up my process I put in an old tape that was kind of a crappy one that my wife had recorded on. It ripped the tape in 2. Since then, I don’t try to rip my own old school 8mm any more. I'm going to have to do what we’ve been talking about, having an expert do it who has much better equipment to do it.

8mm tape? I've never had any problems transferring 8mm Tape.

I'm just wondering about Telecine (Super 8) film and 16mm film?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1