Question on MIT cables

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I got a used pair of Terminator 2 speaker cables; one of the "boxes" has something lose inside; sounds like a maraca. I have no idea what's inside, and wanted to ask the experts here...is this a sign that something is wrong? Want to know how to approach the seller.

Thanks!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited December 2007
    Well, it shouldn't rattle, that much I can tell you. Exactly what is in there, I'm not 100% sure. Give MIT a call, they are usually very helpful.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    edited December 2007
    Thanks Jesse; I will call them tomorrow. Other than that issue, I am very impressed with the terminations....

You can bill me for the advice as usual :p

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    It's probably a loose diamond and you should cut it open with a Dremel immediately.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    There are caps and resistors laid out on a small pcb. Pop it open and see - could be just a hard drop of excess glue or solder that finally came loose.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2007
    Pop it open = break it......unless you have a way to do this different than the dremel.

SOPA
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    They are glued and you would be best served calling and sending it back. I've had some issues on a couple cables and have yet to be charged anything.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    I was able to pop open my old Terminator series, if it won't go easy, send it in.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    Well, there you go....pop the top.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2007
    Hell, if Russ can, I can:mad::mad:

I was able to pop it with no damage, and yes, hot glue is what's rattling. Easy fix.

002-6.jpg

And since I downloaded the photos....here's one from one of the "dusty" tweeters I removed. And I thought there was nothing left to lick.....

007-1.jpg

SOPA
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    That's the first version of the T2, the later versions are gray colored.

Just what is all that white stuff around the tweeter???

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited December 2007
    The old school version of Dynamat.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2007
    Yeah Jesse, mine were Grey - that white is old.

The white stuff on the tweeter I would cut with some baking soda and smoke in a glass pipe.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's the first version of the T2, the later versions are gray colored.

So how good are they? Always wanted to try some MIT's but don't want to spend $10,000. (Not even $500...)
    Just what is all that white stuff around the tweeter???

Pick your choice of these:

"The white oxidation is actually psylocybin, a hallucinogen, due to a chemical reaction occuring in the manufacturing process. Polk employees were often found "licking tweeters" in the early days of assembly in Dickeyville"

or

"....that is oxidation of a substance that we put on the tweeter to reinforce the leads." - Hedy Klopfer, Polk Audio

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53089&highlight=peerless

SOPA
  • F1nut
    edited December 2007
    I couldn't actually say as I've never heard that version. I will say that the gray T2 compared to the latest version of the Shotgun S1 is like night and day.

If you want to hear more about MIT cables than you ever wanted to know, call and ask to speak with Pete. I'll give you 30 seconds before you're thinking to yourself, I have no clue what he just said, this shite is way over my head......I did.

BTW, if you feel like doing a little late night reading, check out the white papers published on their website.

Hmmm.....years ago, #1. Today, I'll take Hedy's word for it. :)

President of Club Polk