The semester from he11 is now over....

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Some of you know, but I've been going through a brutal 2nd to last semester of school. Fortunately/Unfortunately none of my classes had midterms or finals, however the grades were based mainly on insanely large group projects and presentations/papers.

Anyone would college experience can relate that group projects SUCK. More often than not 1-2 members of the group will do absolutely nothing and know they can get away with it because the other group members don't want to fail. This happened in 2 out of my 4 classes this semester so I've basically been doing incredible amounts of work when it should have been split evenly. This past week was the worst, everything is due and people did nothing so it's been a battle to make up their parts that they chose not to do since the only grade we get is a group grade and not individual grade(total BS).

Today was the last day, I had 3 presentations and a large paper due for each. The biggest presentation we were trying to finish 10 minutes before class because one of the members decided not to do his share of slides for some reason(probably cause he wasn't the one that was presenting) and we had to present it no matter what......this project should have definately been an A as the rest of us had hours and hours into the data and analysis for the project but we were missing his significant chunk which he promised he would have ready for us. Because of it, we had to kind **** our way through the presentation, ended up with an email from the professor saying that our project was "Fun and engaging" but "disappointed we did not show more recommendations" and "unhappy we didn't have more analysis to present".

Totally just fed up at this point with group projects and splitting up work, since people just don't want to put their fair share into the mix. I'm glad this is the second to last semester and at this point I want to just put all my books in my fireplace and play xbox 360.

Not looking foward to final grades and very very very aggrivated.....
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Bagged:

I'm in college too, so I know what you mean. If you really feel strongly about it, email the professor and tell them who did the work and who did not. More than likely, if most of the group members say the same thing, the prof. will adjust their grades to reflect their work output (ie very low).

Good luck, it's almost over.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    nms wrote: »
    Bagged:

I'm in college too, so I know what you mean. If you really feel strongly about it, email the professor and tell them who did the work and who did not. More than likely, if most of the group members say the same thing, the prof. will adjust their grades to reflect their work output (ie very low).

Good luck, it's almost over.

Nope. The grade for 1 is the grade for all in our business department. Kinda the way it works here. If you can't work as a team then the professor doesn't view it as their problem, it's your problem. And No, you didn't get to choose the teams.
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    Ah, a business major. So a slightly different mindset than the engineering dept I am in. OK, I can see that. If you could choose the groups it would be too enjoyable! And plus, all the slackers might get stuck together and fail, and that would look bad.
    My system

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    I know exactly how you feel.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Sorry Bl. nms?
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Once or twice I've been in the same situation. The best thing was that we ended up working everything out. Some of the slackers didn't want to write a paper or work on the presentation, so we made them act in a film and showed it on presentation day. The professor loved it!

This was for a business class. Although I'm an Electrical Engineering major.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    It's a shame you at least couldn't of had a bit of warning.
    Like the lady at work that takes off a couple days every time one of
    her projects come due. Somethings never change.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    NC State?

Yep. Good guess.
    My system

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited December 2007
    Delbert would advise to blame the unpopular ones regardless of work output.
  • glemay
    glemay Posts: 574
    edited December 2007
    BaggedLancer,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm a business major and have been going through the same thing. Just finished the project last week, thank god. But yeah, you always get someone that doesn't want to do their share, and like your prof, says that it is our problem if we can't manage our own groups... I guess there is some truth to it, but still, lol. Oh well, that project's over, you live and learn.

Gerry
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    Good luck BL!! Many of us went through it and lived. Yes it sucks, we all hated it. The point is we survived, got jobs and earned some pretty decent careers. Try to keep your chin up and take what the karma wheel lays on your lap, get up off your feet, step into the batter's box and take three more swings for the fences.

Good luck!
    Carl

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    F you student.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007
    Engineers should stick to driving trains!!! WOOO-WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Kidding:p! Keep up the good work young # crunchers. It pays off in the long run.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I'm no # cruncher, believe me, nor will I ever be.

And yes, Gerry and Carl, and but it is still aggrivating none the less to have my decided by someone other than myself. Atleast with tests and quizes my grades on those are a direct reflection of the amount of effort I put in to prepare for them and what I actually know.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2007
    Just stay focused on how close it is to finally coming to an end. You'll get there Mark!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Just stay focused on how close it is to finally coming to an end. You'll get there Mark!

Yea i need to get back to Goodwins and just sit there for a few DAYS
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    :D LOL! There ya go, anything to reduce the stress!:D
    Yea i need to get back to Goodwins and just sit there for a few DAYS
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    :D LOL! There ya go, anything to reduce the stress!:D

My tubes have been seeing the quite the workout these past few days. Once grades are back I'll be able to sleep again.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2007
    Hey Mark, the world needs dead asses too….

It will all be over soon, eh? Relax, listen to tunes, eat high cholesterol foods with large amounts of alcohol.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    If you get a low grade because of the slacker.....punch him in the grill

repeatedly

Hope it all works out for ya...

if not see above.......untill you feel better
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited December 2007
    Put a boot up the slacker(s) ****(es).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    I've got two kids in college right now...going through the exact same thing. I'll tell you exactly what I tell them:

I HAVE NO SYMPATHY. GET OVER IT!

This stuff in college is a cakewalk compared to what you will experience in real life. Think group dynamics are tough? Wait until everyone's income is at stake and not just a "grade". Think you are carrying too much of the load? Wait until all 4 things HAVE to be done today (when there is barely time to do one) and there are hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake. Wait until you get it ALL done...and are then told..."nevermind - we are going in a different direction".

College "sort of" gets you ready for what lies ahead. Trust me...enjoy it now...cause it gets tougher.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2007
    *amn Shack, you're COLD! LOL!
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Hope it works out well for ya.

This semester luckily all my group projects have been going okay. There still are a few slackers, but we still manage to get the work done. And get good grades too.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I've got two kids in college right now...going through the exact same thing. I'll tell you exactly what I tell them:

I HAVE NO SYMPATHY. GET OVER IT!

This stuff in college is a cakewalk compared to what you will experience in real life. Think group dynamics are tough? Wait until everyone's income is at stake and not just a "grade". Think you are carrying too much of the load? Wait until all 4 things HAVE to be done today (when there is barely time to do one) and there are hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake. Wait until you get it ALL done...and are then told..."nevermind - we are going in a different direction".

College "sort of" gets you ready for what lies ahead. Trust me...enjoy it now...cause it gets tougher.

I understand the real world is different as I have a considerable mount of real world experience for someone my age.

My problem is that in order to MAKE IT to the real world, i still need to get the grades now so I can get that silly piece of paper saying im educated.

I don't mind working under pressure, actually I enjoy it, but it's ridiculous when you're under pressure as well as another teammate and the teammate just says F it and does nothing, even after they called you saying they were going to email their part.
  • glemay
    glemay Posts: 574
    edited December 2007
    Yup, Shack, you're right. Couldn't agree more with ya, my dad says the exact same thing.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Just got my first grade back for one of my classes........A- without the curve, should be an when it shows up.

3 to go and i can sleep again.
  • lightman1
    edited December 2007