Any body fold here?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Any folders at Clubpolk? Who do you fold for? We could start up a Clubpolk folding team

I fold on Club Lexus forums. Im up to about 1100 units (400 from my PS3). I just hit 500000 points, ranked in the 3000's in the world.

I would be willing to rotate a few of the quad core folding units to a new team.
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    I get what they are trying to do, is there any benefit to doing it (for me), other than contributing to the greater good? I don't mind letting it run while I'm not home, just curious.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I fold unless I have the blind or a high pair.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    No thank you. None of my computer(s) will have that.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    I've seen it mentioned for years over at [H]ardocp, but have never tried it. If we get a polk team together I'll be happy to let my PS3 contribute while I'm working during the day.

I don't think there's a personal benefit, but I'm not sure. Someone may award the best teams with something, but I think its more just bragging rights.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2007
    No folding... I do Mersenne Prime number searches on 5 CPU cores (6 when I get the Linux box going), currently ranked 388 in the world. :D
    Rank    Account ID      LL P90*  Exponents  Fact.P90  Exponents   P90 CPU
                            CPU yrs  LL Tested  CPU yrs*  w/ Factor   hrs/day
    ------  --------------  -------  ---------  --------  ---------  --------
    388.    petrym          775.195      275       3.402        8     1952.06

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    No, I've never done it, but I just got Mom's old desktop that's currently just sitting, so I was seriously thinking of fixing that a little bit and dedicating it to folding.

If we get a CP team going, I'm definitely in!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I get what they are trying to do, is there any benefit to doing it (for me), other than contributing to the greater good? I don't mind letting it run while I'm not home, just curious.

No direct benefit for you, unless the research leads to a cure for a disease you or a family member may have.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers

I currently fold for http://www.dslreports.com/ .

If you Start a ClubPolk team I will put one of my computers on it.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    WTF? Looks like I need to google / wikipedia this folding phenomenon.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    WTF? Looks like I need to google / wikipedia this folding phenomenon.

Same here. What is this?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2007
    jflail2 -
    That's my sig on another forum. Creepy. I'll start sending you royalties first thing in the morn. You take haypennies and schillings?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    I'll explain a bit in broader terms from an IT perspective. Folding just uses this idea.

The future of computers is called "grid networking". 99.99% of most computers spend its processing time completely idle. As the "internet" access grows and its speeds enhance this science is starting to mature. The theroy is that any one computer can tap others for their proc power. Let’s take an example:

In 10 years you may have 10 PC's in your house (I have 7 now).

You jump on one of the machines and start processing something huge. Let’s say you are ripping a home video. For me, even on my best PC, I leave the thing sitting over night to do so. In 10 years your PC's and all of their CPU's will be setup on a grid so that in effect, that PC you are utilizing will reach out to all of the other computers and use their CPU's to boost yours when you start tapping it. Same concept as "multiple cores". So in effect you gain exponential processing power. The plan is to eventually build this network across the globe and could increase the power of your home computer by a million fold. Imagine ripping that 10 hour long video on one computer to seconds using the unutilized processors and computers around your neighborhood..

Folding is using this technology now.

Scientists are "folding" genes to figure out what causes cancer and such.

This traditionally takes super computers that cost millions of dollars that can hit teraflop speeds.

With folding, Stanford breaks the computation into thousands of parts and distributes them to your computers.

A quad core machine can take 20+ hours to do one unit and when done, it uploads the file back to stanford.

By doing this, they have already reached processing speeds far beyond the fastest supercomputer speeds.

These guys are doing some serious research to fight things like cancer and Parkinson’s and such. They publish on the Stanford site their projects and results and many of them have been published now.

Very worthwhile endeavor and its a start to a much great future change in computers.

But the skinny of it is this. You really do need at least a dual core proc or better to process these Folding units in any mannor that would be worthwhile.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    jflail2 -
    That's my sig on another forum. Creepy. I'll start sending you royalties first thing in the morn. You take haypennies and schillings?

Hah, that is weird. I've been using this for years. Sure, send em on. Those haypennys are worth a whole $US penny. They add up...

Somewhere in my closet I still have my "coins of the world" book with all sorts of old English coins, shillings and haypennies included.

Great explanation Silver btw.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    No folding... I do Mersenne Prime number searches on 5 CPU cores (6 when I get the Linux box going), currently ranked 388 in the world. :D

What are you pulling in daily for points right now? Im averaging about 12000 right now.

I got folding on a few of my new server here at work that have that new dual quad core 2.6 ghz zeon procs. Got 2 of them that get me abut 2600 points per day each.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    Here is some statistics from Stanford about the kind of processing power they have achieved. Note the PS3 numbers. Have no doubt, what you heard about the power of the PS3 chip and graphics is no joke at all. My PS3 can complete work units faster than my dual quad core Zeon 2.66ghz (8 cores) server chips that I mentioned before:

OS Type | Current TFLOPS* | Active CPUs | Total CPUs
    Windows 173 182352 1864307
    Mac OS X/PowerPC 7 9255 108811
    Mac OS X/Intel 16 5308 30680
    Linux 44 25735 260370
    GPU 42 714 4773
    PLAYSTATION®3 1094 44101 357855
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    petrym wrote: »

Heres mine:

Date of last work unit 2007-12-04 16:25:11
    Total score 508500
    Overall rank (if points are combined) 3680 of 862611
    Active processors (within 50 days) 35
    Active processors (within 7 days) 13
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AndyGwis
    edited December 2007
    So what are you actually contributing by getting in "the fold?" Just the cost of energy, use of your processor, and the potential risk of these "folders" getting access to your computer and possibly creating some kind of Die Hard 4 scenario where they take down the government with our nationwide, united processing capabilities?

Sounds cool to me. . .
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited December 2007
    So what are you actually contributing by getting in "the fold." Just the cost of energy, use of your processor, and the potential risk of these "folders" getting access to your computer and possibly creating some kind of Die Hard 4 scenario where they take down the government with our nationwide, united processing capabilities?

Sounds cool to me. . .

Skynet (T3).
  • AndyGwis
    edited December 2007
    Agreed. Someone at Stanford probably created a cute little AI program for his/her grad class. The AI then began to tap into all the computers in the Stanford University Network (let's call it SUN for short). SUN then begins to systematically gain access to computers across the United States through spam emails and annonymous forum posts making it out to seem like a humanitarian effort. SUN needs more power and goes solar. People flight back and block out the sun (not SUN). SUN then begins to harvest us for our electric energy, keeping us alive in a pseudo reality program called "Sim City."

We should make something like that into a movie! Add some tight leather/latex, some guns, kung-fo, at Lawrence Fishburne, and we've got a hit on our hands.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Agreed. Someone at Stanford probably created a cute little AI program for his/her grad class. The AI then began to tap into all the computers in the Stanford University Network (let's call it SUN for short). SUN then begins to systematically gain access to computers across the United States through spam emails and annonymous forum posts making it out to seem like a humanitarian effort. SUN needs more power and goes solar. People flight back and block out the sun (not SUN). SUN then begins to harvest us for our electric energy, keeping us alive in a pseudo reality program called "Sim City."

We should make something like that into a movie! Add some tight leather/latex, some guns, kung-fo, at Lawrence Fishburne, and we've got a hit on our hands.

You know, the scary thing is that could actually be a good movie... :eek:
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • petrym
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Date of last work unit 2007-12-04 16:25:11
    Total score 508500
    Overall rank (if points are combined) 3680 of 862611
    Active processors (within 50 days) 35
    Active processors (within 7 days) 13
    I don't get points; it's purely a search for massive prime numbers and to get famous in the narrow geeky world of mathematics. Each uniquely assigned number takes anywhere from 25 to 45 days (running 24/7 at 100% CPU use) to calculate factors. Mersenne primes are two raised to the power of a prime number minus one 2^P -1 / such as 2 cubed minus one: 8-1=7.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited December 2007
    I fold the laundry sometimes....
  • petrym
    edited December 2007
    I fold too much laundry...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,442
    edited December 2007
    I fold my money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2007
    Here is some statistics from Stanford about the kind of processing power they have achieved. Note the PS3 numbers. Have no doubt, what you heard about the power of the PS3 chip and graphics is no joke at all. My PS3 can complete work units faster than my dual quad core Zeon 2.66ghz (8 cores) server chips that I mentioned before:

OS Type | Current TFLOPS* | Active CPUs | Total CPUs
    Windows 173 182352 1864307
    Mac OS X/PowerPC 7 9255 108811
    Mac OS X/Intel 16 5308 30680
    Linux 44 25735 260370
    GPU 42 714 4773
    PLAYSTATION®3 1094 44101 357855

It's not so much that PS3 is faster than the xeon processors, just that they're much more strongly geared to the math that's required for this type of science than a general purpose cpu
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    My wife folds my jockeys! When I stand up my butt cheeks unfold.
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    The future of computers is called "grid networking". 99.99% of most computers spend its processing time completely idle. As the "internet" access grows and its speeds enhance this science is starting to mature. The theroy is that any one computer can tap others for their proc power. Let’s take an example:

I think you overstate it SLIGHTLY here. This is a method that willb e used more in the future, but it's not the future of computing. I work in distributed processing, and there are very few applications for which it's useful. Gene mapping and calculating prime numbers, or in my company's case, interpreting radar data and the like are some examples, and there are a bunch, but for the average home user, the processor is RARELY if ever the bottleneck for their operations. For distributed processing to be worthwhile the time spent processing has to far outweigh the time spent transferring the data between the processes, AND any overhead associated with the distribution. Aside from multi-core PCs, I don't think you're going to see that much of a proliferation of this kind of thing for the average user, it's just not worth it.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I think you overstate it SLIGHTLY here. This is a method that willb e used more in the future, but it's not the future of computing. I work in distributed processing, and there are very few applications for which it's useful. Gene mapping and calculating prime numbers, or in my company's case, interpreting radar data and the like are some examples, and there are a bunch, but for the average home user, the processor is RARELY if ever the bottleneck for their operations. For distributed processing to be worthwhile the time spent processing has to far outweigh the time spent transferring the data between the processes, AND any overhead associated with the distribution. Aside from multi-core PCs, I don't think you're going to see that much of a proliferation of this kind of thing for the average user, it's just not worth it.

There are also different degrees of distributed processing.

For example, over the internet, network bandwidth, latency, etc become major issues because the nodes are separated by physically long spans of network of varying capability.

On the other hand, a Beowulf cluster is a bunch of computers right next to each other over a very high bandwidth network that covers a physically small space. Here, latency and transfer times are not such a huge issue. Beowulf clusters have been extremely cost-effective supercomputers for years. You spend less time dividing the jobs up and sending them off compared to an internet-based cluster. For all practical purposes, it functions as a single computer.

Am I making any sense??
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    Sure, like I said I work in the field, my company produces products that are essentially high-end compact Beowulf clusters. I understand their applications. But they do not act as a "single computer" the way we think of them. Most day-to-day operations do NOT require the kind of processing power, and even when you minimize interprocessor latency, there is still an overhead associated with splitting a process between multiple processors and then recombining the results at the end. That overhead can be significant unless you're talking about VERY computation-intensive applications.

I don't mean to refute that they are powerful and useful systems in the business, military, and research worlds; they just are not viable or necessary in the home computing world aside from very niche applications.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited December 2007
    I used to do the SETI thing, I guess that's folding.

Anyone have an idea for how to strip down a machine so that it runs flat out running just this single application ?
    I don't recall the specs, but the SETI forums used to discuss how the "faster" machines of the time (500 mhz, etc) actually computed much slower than a stripped down machine (an old 486DX100 running DOS) that didn't have all the overhead of drivers, etc. I'm sure I have the actual numbers wrong, but you get the idea.

I have enough crap underneath the stairs to build half a dozen boxes (Dam you, bensbargains.net and Newegg !); it'd be interesting to throw some together and let 'em run !
    Sal Palooza
  • Systems
    edited December 2007

HAHAHAH! Thats pretty good! lol! Sim City!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing