nothing but quality here

sucks2beme
sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/496759116.html

There was something like this up in OKC on EBAY too, but uglier.
And a bin of $600. At least this guy isn't looking for an arm and leg.
Anyone top this CL find?:rolleyes:
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by sucks2beme on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I like the fancy port on the side.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I like the fancy port on the side.

Actually , the port size is correct for the woofer ( Most common 12" woofers of that timeframe...1993..maybe 94/95 by the time the video was out for home use ...didnt have the HUGE xmax/power handling capabilities of todays woofers. So he could have modeled for a single 2" to 4" port just fine without huffing issues ) .
    The internal volume is in range for that type of woofer ( It actually is much smaller then it appears measurement wise because of the thickness of the panels ( He used one layer of 3/4" MDF....one layer of 3/4" Baltic Birch...and layered with 1/4" vennered plywood as well....thats 1 3/4" panel thickness !!!!!

He used great software to model the box correctly to the woofer....great nonresonant materials and thicknesses...driver and amp are great for the 94/95 timeframe. So what exactly is not quality about his subwoofer ?

I bet the way it sits it would smoke 50% of our larger polks in the bass dept....and if it were to be updated with a modern 2007 amp and driver
    and remodeled/ported of course with a 6" port or high excursion passive radiator ( NOT a whole lot of work mind you ) that it would smoke all of them ( Along with a whole lot of so called subs today as well ) .

He did a damn good job making that box....it may not be up to snuff in the looks dept to what we are used to seeing built at home now....but his build quality was top notch.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    Now THIS takes ALL prizes for a craigslist advertised subwoofer.....
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    Now THIS takes ALL prizes for a craigslist advertised subwoofer.....

Is that T-unit's?:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    That thing is sweet(the cardboard box one).

I even like the what looks like 24awg wire getting crushed into the box cause he was too lazy to poke a hole with a pen.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Looks cool, something to play with / tweak.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    Granted, not the worst example. The one on ebay was much worse for a lot more money.
    I knew there would be a few better examples given!
    We get to see many here do a great job building their own. I just don't
    get putting that much effort into something that the Mrs. puts out on the curbside on you.
    If it doesn't pass the living room test, what good is it?
    The cardboard one was very special.
    $100 might not be expensive, but I only paid $225 for my SVS. And that not only passed
    the WAF test but she decided we needed a big screen to go with it.
    Best damn money I ever spent!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    shadowofnight, I was making fun of the port because it appears to only be a hole drilled in the side.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    That thing is sweet(the cardboard box one).

I even like the what looks like 24awg wire getting crushed into the box cause he was too lazy to poke a hole with a pen.

THATS what really bothered me about the sub...hell it DID look like fun to play with ( Put it on its back ...throw a 5Hz-10Hz tone to it and see if it would jump around ;) ) ...but when I saw the crushed wire I shook my head......THAT was the description of lazy ( Kinda like not wiping your **** today because you know your going to have to do it tomorrow anyways )
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    shadowofnight, I was making fun of the port because it appears to only be a hole drilled in the side.

Haha...yeah I figured that or because it was white :) ( Its actually white pvc...kinda an illusion )
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    THATS what really bothered me about the sub...hell it DID look like fun to play with ( Put it on its back ...throw a 5Hz-10Hz tone to it and see if it would jump around ;) ) ...but when I saw the crushed wire I shook my head......THAT was the description of lazy ( Kinda like not wiping your **** today because you know your going to have to do it tomorrow anyways )

I agree......and FYI I've been trying to be "greener" lately, so I wipe my **** every other time now to try and conserve poo paper.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited December 2007
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • shadowofnight
    edited December 2007
    He is 6'10" .....just like Danny Devito :D

Those are 2 subs stacked just for the pic...
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited December 2007
    now to try and converse poo paper.

You talk to your poo paper??!!:D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    capecodder wrote: »
    You talk to your poo paper??!!:D

Right letters wrong order! Fixed and yes sometimes I talk to it nicely when I know it's gonna hurt. :o