Inwall LCR speaker grills...what color would you go with?

Options
avguytx
avguytx Posts: 1,628
edited December 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm hoping that I posted this in the right section. Since I am working on my living room "renovation" for a collision of home theater and 2-channel, I thought I'd ask you guys and gals' opinion on something. I am doing (3) LCR inwall speakers and am trying to decide between 2 paint colors so this is easy. The plasma TV is solid black and my walls are one of those great color names called "Roycroft Adobe" so it's about like it sounds. If you all were doing this, would you rather the speaker frames/grills match the wall and be more invisible or pait them black (semi-gloss) to match the TV? I've seen homes where they went either way and both serve their purpose. Some like them to be move "invisible" whereas others like them a little more seen.

Notice that I didn't include leaving them white as that just would not look right along with a black TV. As far as decor as the time goes, there will be black frame pictures on that wall (off to the side) and other walls will have natural wood frames.

Also, I've attached a few before, during and after shots so you get an idea of the demolition project. I'm just looking for opinions since I'm going to be cutting the holes out here in the next little while. Thanks for your input!
Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
Post edited by avguytx on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I vote BLACK...!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Inwalls are about space, invisibility, and compromise for me.....I would paint them the same as the wall. The contrasting spaces in your builtin looked good with a dark TV, but I wouldn't mess up the flow of a wall with contrasting paint, I would let the decor/wall hangings do their job.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • beardog03
    edited December 2007
    Options
    okay, I change my vote !

Same as the wall color !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• avguytx
    edited December 2007
    Options
    That's kind of the direction I was leaning too. It's a different approach than the built-in was, anyway. The TV you're seeing in the picture was not the unit that was typically in there...it used to be a 56" Panasonic RPTV that fit in the opening. But, it kind of had the same look in a way.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I vote painting them the same as as the wall.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • beardog03
    edited December 2007
    Options
    are those dedicated 20 amp circuits ?
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• avguytx
    edited December 2007
    Options
    beardog03 wrote: »
    are those dedicated 20 amp circuits ?

Unfortunately, no. But, I am going to have my electrician neighbor drop me a couple of dedicated lines to go where the equipment is soon. Plus, I want to drop one for wherever the Sunfire sub ends up.
  • avguytx
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Well, I'm painting the grills and frames to match the wall. What a tedious process having to do about 5 light coats. It ends up taking the better part of the day. I guess I could be crawling in the attic and dropping the 14/2 speaker wire down but I'll think I'll wait till tomorrow night and I can have my neighbor help. It's only 2 lines that have to drop for the left and right speaker since the center can drop straight down to where the wall plate will be. I have to go pick up a double gang box tomorrow since the plate will be in then, too. It'll be nice to have it all done and looking good. Man, I can't wait to get the SRS II's in the living room to see what they sound like in a bigger area. I'm more looking forward to that than having the plasma on the wall and the inwall speakers done.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Hot Pink.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.