Holy S**t! No. 2 WVA take it on the chin in the backyard brawl

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
The University of Pittsburgh (my Alma Mater) just won the biggest game in 20 years. They knocked off the high powered No. 2 ranked West Virginia team who would have gone to the BCS Bowl Championship with a win. The number 2 curse have WVU struggling. Their high power offense struggled to get any points. They had a touchdown and a safety to show for their effort. I'm sure they are burning down their town as the chance for their first national championship went down the Monongahela river like a dead carp.

Before the game, Dave Wannstadt signed a three year extension. Nest year he finally has a team made up of his own recruits.

Go Panthers!

C. Schwartz (ENG., 1976) I am an old fan left over from the Tony Dorsett years and their only National Championship if 20 or 30 years.

Go Pitt!

Did you pick this on Jason????
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2007
    This year of college football has me laughing my **** off.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited December 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    This year of college football has me laughing my **** off.

I second that.
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    This is sad because now Ohio St basically does nothing to goto the BCS championship game. OS has done nothing all year, played nobody, and sat out the last two week. The last meaningful game they played was against Illinois and they lost. What a scam, 11-1 record by beating teams like Youngstown, Akron, Kent State, and Minnesota. OS is a scam. Look who they played this year.

Youngstown St. Penguins (3rd Gateway Conference)
    Akron (4-8 Mid-American Conference)
    Washington(4-8 Pac-10)
    Northwestern(6-6 Big Ten)
    Minnesota (1-11 Big Ten)
    Purdue (7-5 Big Ten)
    Kent St (3-9 Mid-American)
    Michigan State (7-5 Big Ten)
    Penn St (8-4 Big Ten)
    Wisconsin (9-3 Big Ten)
    Illinois (9-3 Big Ten)
    Michigan (8-4 Big Ten)
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • Onac
    Onac Posts: 36
    edited December 2007
    Iave to agree about Ohio St. What is funny is that they will play a two loss team in the championship and they will get waxed again.

The Big10 was really bad this year. You could say Ohio St. beat Michigan and Penn St. but those teams lost 4 games this year!

Can't wait until tomorrow, I am beating on who ever play Ohio St. with the points!
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited December 2007
    The Big Ten may have been weak this year, but except for their Illinois loss, they OSU beat everyone they SHOULD beat.
    LSU, USC, etc, all of them lost more than once to teams who they should have beaten.

Ohio State's defense is way better than last year; heck, they held Michigan to less than 100 yards total offense.

Ohio State will win the championship by 10+ points this year.

That said, if there ever was a year that made the case for a playoff system, this is it. But I doubt it will ever happen.
  • Onac
    Onac Posts: 36
    edited December 2007
    shepx2 wrote: »
    The Big Ten may have been weak this year, but except for their Illinois loss, they OSU beat everyone they SHOULD beat.
    LSU, USC, etc, all of them lost more than once to teams who they should have beaten.

Ohio State's defense is way better than last year; heck, they held Michigan to less than 100 yards total offense.

That said, if there ever was a year that made the case for a playoff system, this is it. But I doubt it will ever happen.

Sorry but LSU is going to walk all over Ohio St. Going to be a repeat of the Florida game last year. Unlucky though for OSU to have to play on the road for what is a LSU home game.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2007
    Carl....
    I swear. The Kraken has been released upon this whole year of college football. I'm thinking Hawaii vs. UGA. Seriously.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited December 2007
    A lot of different teams could make a case for being in the championship game. The BCS screwed some teams and gave some teams a gift. With the way this college football season has gone, and the way the BCS is set up, some teams were bound to get screwed.

All I know is that KU got into the Orange Bowl, and the whiny-**** MU Tigers got stuck with the non-BCS Cotton Bowl. I absolutely LOVE the way things turned out for my Jayhawks!!!
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • cruzer
    cruzer Posts: 84
    edited December 2007
    shepx2 wrote: »

The drugs and booze must really be working. :confused::p

tOSU gets stomped again.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2007
    Man... I don't think OSU is worthy either but I'm so sick of hearing SEC boasting that I'd love to see OSU beat up on LSU.
  • cruzer
    edited December 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Man... I don't think OSU is worthy either but I'm so sick of hearing SEC boasting that I'd love to see OSU beat up on LSU.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Big 12 guy, but I've never seen so many slow players during the Michigan vs OSU game.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited December 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »

The SEC is the strongest , fastest, and toughest.

Any team from the SEC, (Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc etc etc) would walk all over OSU. And LSU is the best of them.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited December 2007
    cruzer wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Big 12 guy, but I've never seen so many slow players during the Michigan vs OSU game.
    Alright, we get it, you don't think the Big Ten or OSU is any good. But, did you even pay attention to that game??? It was like 35 degrees and rained for a few days leading up to the game. The field was a mess. Carl Lewis in his prime would have been slow on that field.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited December 2007
    This year was nuts. Hardly anyone played consistent the whole year. All I can say in the end is that Missouri got shafted. They Beat Kansas and Kansas got the BCS at large bid? What the crap? Can it be any more blatant that the BCS is totally about money and ticket sales rather than trying to "get it right"? I'm an SEC guy but you gotta hate it for Missouri.

On a side note I'd hate to be Hawaii playing red hot Georgia in New Orleans :)
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited December 2007
    Teh Ohio State U and Michigan are both ranked pretty low year after year in the Rival's football recuiting ranking. They don't have the top tier talents, they just beat up on the very worst opponents college football has to offer to look good.

Heck I bet USC can beat Acorn, Youngstown, and Kent State with their RESERVE players.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • tryrrthg
    edited December 2007
    Phasearray wrote: »
    Teh Ohio State U and Michigan are both ranked pretty low year after year in the Rival's football recuiting ranking. They don't have the top tier talents, they just beat up on the very worst opponents college football has to offer to look good.

Heck I bet USC can beat Acorn, Youngstown, and Kent State with their RESERVE players.
    OSU is in the top 10 year after year in recruiting (currently #9 for next year). Ohio is a huge talent pool, one of the better states for high school football. Our running back, Chris Wells, was the highest rated back in all of high school when we got him. OSU has more first round NFL draft picks than most any other school.

USC couldnt' beat Standford with their reserves. :rolleyes: and Stanford probably isn't much better than some of the MAC teams we play.

Ohio State played a two year series with Texas, the next two years they're playing USC, and the two years after that we're playing Miami (that was probably a bigger deal a few years ago before the program went down the ****). We just happened to have a down schedule this year.

I'm not saying OSU is the BEST team in football this year. Nor am I saying we deserve to be in the title game, but some of your perceptions of OSU are just ridiculous. if some of your teams had taken care of business like they're supposed to we wouldn't be in this hell hole. ;) :eek:
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • cruzer
    edited December 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    Alright, we get it, you don't think the Big Ten or OSU is any good. But, did you even pay attention to that game??? It was like 35 degrees and rained for a few days leading up to the game. The field was a mess. Carl Lewis in his prime would have been slow on that field.

Yes, I watched the game (and a few others of OSU and Michigan). We could argue this but its all up to the players. We shall see how it turns out in January. I will gladly say that I was wrong if tOSU wins.;)
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    No matter who wins, they need to get rid of this ridiculous gap between the conference championships and the major bowl games. Anyone who was on a roll.......well that's thrown out the window. I just don't agree with that much time off. I don't think the 1st game of the season is a completely accurate depiction of a team's skills and abilities, and I certainly don't think having a month or more off before the big game gives us an accurate representation of what these teams were throughout the season.

OSU has more first round NFL draft picks than most any other school.

Really? That's kind of surprising to be honest. I would have guessed "the U".
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited December 2007
    Well, at least it's only a few months before March Madness descends upon us ... then we won't have to spend our time bickering about such-and-such team got shafted with their bowl pick, such-and-such team is better than such-and-such other team. It is all laid out on the line in the Big Dance, and when it is over there is no mistaking who is the champion!
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • tryrrthg
    edited December 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    OSU has more first round NFL draft picks than most any other school.

Really? That's kind of surprising to be honest. I would have guessed "the U".

"Ohio State now has the most first round picks all-time, 66, in the history of the NFL draft. Southern California, who had no players picked in the first round, is second all-time at 65. " LINK

Man I wish OSU could recruit talent. ;)
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited December 2007
    It's just the rest of the Big 10 making those few pretty good guys at Ohio St and Michigan look spectacular :) Sorry I couldn't resist :p

I'm kidding really, cause the guys from the Big 10 actually end up doing pretty well in the pros.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]