What's the point...

2»

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    I believe FlowMaster is one of the muffler brands that state their mufflers help is this aspect. I've seen it several places. Actually it makes sense when you start thinking of resonances.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    It's obvious that a less restrictive muffler would increase performance (at least in some applications), so it seems legit that a muffler could help create vacuum, too. Seems a bit too far down the path to do much good, but then again, maybe it really helps to get all those exhaust gasses out of the pipe.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I believe Flowmaster is just a gimmick. They may flow better than stock and sound good on Fox body Mustangs:D, but usually give up a few horses compared to Dynomax or Magnaflow.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys not to hijack the thread or anything but can somebody give me some clues as to what a good car for about $4,000 - $5,000 would be? My Saturn I've got is just giving me too many problems and I'm wanting to get something just a little bit newer than a 96 model. Any ideas? I would give you some specifics in a car I want but I can't really be too picky with just a couple of thousand dollars can I?
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys not to hijack the thread or anything but can somebody give me some clues as to what a good car for about $4,000 - $5,000 would be? My Saturn I've got is just giving me too many problems and I'm wanting to get something just a little bit newer than a 96 model. Any ideas? I would give you some specifics in a car I want but I can't really be too picky with just a couple of thousand dollars can I?

Sure you can be specific with a $5,000 budget. Lets hear it.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007

We have a Nissan Maxima and it's been good so far. Also a neighbor has a Buick Lacrosse and another neighbor has a Toyota Camry, both seem to be VERY reliable - even more than the Nissan.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Nevermind, nothing to see here. :)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    Well it depends. Exhausts do add power to most cars. Replacing the stock exhaust with a much more efficient one helps. Back in the old days (90's) more so but not so much any more since cars are pretty efficient now (at least enthusiast cars).

Even them, most perf orientated exhausts don’t sound like **** cans. When you hear a **** can exhaust, the person is doing it on purpose and probably hurting the perf of their car. They probably paid $20 for it and add's 100 pond to the car. Perf exhausts are usually lighter then stock.

My old Sti had a stock exhaust that was already pretty hard core but that car is one car (boxer engine) that with an Exhaust and turbo tuning (intake and such) can pull massive HP from it and it sounds more like a Muscle car rumble then a high pitched **** can.

My Stock exhaust would rattle stuff in my house when I fired it up in the garage. But highly tuned 300+ HP cars do that.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    I'm sorry, no matter what you do to a 4 cylinder, with a high flow exhaust it will still sound like a **** can or a swarm of bees. Boxer config or inline. Except for Infinity, most 6 cylinders sound like garbage also. Depending on the firing order, V10's also sound terrible with a open exhaust. It's easy to confuse a worked Viper for a import.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited December 2007
    I don't like Vipers anyway. I've never heard a Dodge Viper I thought sounded good to me.
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited December 2007
    Some vipers had a cross-over pipe to mate both exaust pipes to give a better sound rather than sounding like a 4.1 litre 5cylinder, but newer models have done away with it because it made the cabin too hot. Im with the people who hate aftermarket exaust especially on 4cylinder cars. I used to own a 240sx & read my fair share of Sport compact car mag & in every month they would dyno test performance products on certain cars. Unless your car has an engine with a turbo or a fairly large 4cyl or above, the performance gain wasnt worth the money. Even if an exhaust manufacture claims its product will add 10hp to your civic, its mostly in the top end where most people never really drive & sometimes you lose low end torque by adding a exhaust with piping thats too large.
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I'm sorry, no matter what you do to a 4 cylinder, with a high flow exhaust it will still sound like a **** can or a swarm of bees. Boxer config or inline. Except for Infinity, most 6 cylinders sound like garbage also. Depending on the firing order, V10's also sound terrible with a open exhaust. It's easy to confuse a worked Viper for a import.

99% of 4 bangers.. absolutely... especially higher rev'ing ones like Honda DOHC VTEC's (although my old S2000's had a pretty deep exhaust note).

Not true with the Sti Boxer in the least, you need to hear a properly configured Suby Sti. It in no way sounds like Bee's or a **** can in the least. The force from the rumble (as in shaking) in that car sets car alarms off in the same way my buddies massively supped up (and bored) 67 Mustang does.

Engines are different now, my IS350 has a V6 that due to direct injection sounds like a sowing machine at idle.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2007
    You need Whistles Tips! "They got that wooo woooo!" -Bubb Rubb
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    You need Whistles Tips! "They got that wooo woooo!" -Bubb Rubb

In high school, my buddy had a AMC Jav with those glass pack exhausts. Swear to God that thing made me def.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »

So - for something like a Nissan/Infiniti V6, which aftermarket exhaust would sound best / be the quietest?

Not looking for a **** can by any means.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    So - for something like a Nissan/Infiniti V6, which aftermarket exhaust would sound best / be the quietest?

Not looking for a **** can by any means.

Stillen, by FAR.

EDIT: For the sedans anyway, when it comes to the coupes I have no idea, theres like 500 exhaust systems for th g35 coupe and maybe 4-5 for the sedan.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Stillen, by FAR.

EDIT: For the sedans anyway, when it comes to the coupes I have no idea, theres like 500 exhaust systems for th g35 coupe and maybe 4-5 for the sedan.

Thanks.

So you have a G35 and a Lancer? Cool!:cool:
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Thanks.

So you have a G35 and a Lancer? Cool!:cool:

No, the lancer is GONE along with all the bad mojo that went along with that car. Thank god.

The g35x is my only vehicle.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    No, the lancer is GONE along with all the bad mojo that went along with that car. Thank god.

The g35x is my only vehicle.

Still cool.

Let me guess - reliability problems with the Lancer? Great cars but have some reliability issues (or so I hear from a friend)...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    I think it was more of an issue with the reliability of his mods (lowering kit) and keeping his audio stuff in it instead of in the hands of thieves!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    No reliability issues really....not even so much with the suspension after I worked all the kinks out of it.

It was the repeated thefts, traffic violations, maintenance fees, car show fees, etc. etc. that was killing me. Car just needed to go, and go quickly.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/368429

Couple yummies on the front end before I sold it.
    368429_166_full.jpg
    368429_173_full.jpg
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    No reliability issues really....not even so much with the suspension after I worked all the kinks out of it.

It was the repeated thefts, traffic violations, maintenance fees, car show fees, etc. etc. that was killing me. Car just needed to go, and go quickly.

Sorry to hear that. Thefts suck.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Couple yummies on the front end before I sold it.

Nice! Both the girls and the ride!

One of them reminds me of the girl in my class that has a C4 Corvette :)

Is that you next to the car?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Is that you next to the car?

No, I'm outta picture thankfully.....wouldn't want to ruin a good shot.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Haha

If you dont mind - when you say maintenance fees, can you explain? As in parts or just general maintenance?

And the traffic violations - loud stereo/exhaust?

Just wondering
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Haha

If you dont mind - when you say maintenance fees, can you explain? As in parts or just general maintenance?

And the traffic violations - loud stereo/exhaust?

Just wondering

Fees that you get when you compete in shows and do tons of traveling.

For me it included:
    -Endless amounts of car cleaner, waxes, buffers, etc.
    -Air ride things such as spare parts, oil, rebuilding the valves yearly since the car wasn't garaged and the orings were toast after the winter
    -Car had a serious problemw ith the air ride and sway bars, i physicaly broke 2 sway bars and went through probably 50 bushings
    -getting the front end repainted a couple times because of rock chips and cracked fiberglass
    -rear end repainted because of cracked fiberglass

There was just endless stupid little things that came up with the car that I was getting tired of doing. I was failing inspections because of the aftermarket HIDs, window tint, air ride suspension, exhaust, headlight height and other silly things.

I was getting traffic violations such as noises ordinances, speeding violations(even for just a couple mph over), window tint, exhaust, among other ridiculous things.

Car shows were getting more and more expensive, and i swear people would eye your car just to see what they could steal if they followd you home(which I think happened twice).

It was one thing after another.....needless to say the bad mojo is gone.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    With a car that looks that sharp I'm not surprised you got pulled over a lot - I think it's a reflex for some cops to see a car like that and pull you over regardless >:-/
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3