So I was driving down the road.....

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,982
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I was driving down the road with a big screen TV tonight and when we hit around 70mph I noticed a strange sound coming from the bed of the truck. Looked in the rear view mirrors and noticed something flat flying around. So, I pull over to see what happened.

The outside layer from the actual screen of the TV had actually shattered and almost completely blown off the TV I guess due to the wind and temp. [42 deg.] combination, as I have never heard of this happening before.

My question(s). Where in the hell do you start to look for a replacement "screen" for the TV? What's it called? It's a Mitsubishi and it's gotta be close to a 52" TV.

Any hookups / upgrades that you all know of?

We basically need a new screen altogether [both layers] because when the first layer shattered, the second layer got scratched up pretty bad. Lamps and all other circuitry work fine and dandy.
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2007
    I think you need to re-name this post.
    Call mitsu.and see what they tell ya.My guess is,toss it,probably cost more than the set is worth.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    It's some kind of plastic on both layers. To replace that can't top a 4500.00 price tag, at least I would hope. :eek:

As for the thread title...It's in the clubhouse, so title is not critical and I'm just chatting. As for the percentage of folks that may have had to replace this particular part, my bet is slim to none. This has got to be a part that is a common component with all BS TV's and I was wondering if anybody actually knew a place that might have them at a better price than retail. It seems to me that this would be a universal part and may be a common replacement to anal customers that just scratched the outer layer, producing a less than perfect video image.

Anybody have an estimated guess as to the cost of the two lenses / screens, or whatever they are called?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Tom a friend of mine had one similar and one of his toddlers took a ring to it and scratched it up. He called the local authorized repair shop and they ordered a new screen "cover" (I believe that is what they called it).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2007
    The outer cover, it's just a glare screen and will actually alter the colors, it has a slight purple tint to it, at least mine did. I removed the glare screen from my Mits right when I got it, don't bother wasting money on it.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.