Home Security Systems?

SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Any suggestions.

2200 Sq ft house. Split level.

I won't need internet access to cameras or anything that sophisticated.

Do you have any experiences with ADT or the like?

Thanks for any input!
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2007
    I've been really happy with Brinks, and their ratings and customer service are a notch above the rest from all of my research and talks with neighbors.

Just don't get their radiocommunications system. Do the phone line thing.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    I had ADT for a while at an old apartment, we had to actually deal with them a few times, they were very responsive and helpful.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited November 2007
    phuz wrote: »
    I've been really happy with Brinks, and their ratings and customer service are a notch above the rest from all of my research and talks with neighbors.

Just don't get their radiocommunications system. Do the phone line thing.

I called brinks. They would not answer any questions. They wanted to send out a "Security Expert".
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I had ADT for a while at an old apartment, we had to actually deal with them a few times, they were very responsive and helpful.

ADT on the other hand was very helpful. Their rep answered all of my questions and was aware of Brinks desire to send out a sales rep.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I've been with ADT for 7 years and they have not only been responsive but when I needed a couple repairs, it was free.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    I'm in the same boat. How much does a basic ADT system cost and how much are monthly fees? We have a 1400 ft2 house, if that's pertinent.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited November 2007
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. How much does a basic ADT system cost and how much are monthly fees? We have a 1400 ft2 house, if that's pertinent.

99.00 install + extra equipment if needed. 32-39.00 monthly monitor, 36 month contract.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I pay $25.15 with my USAA discount.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2007
    My dad has ADT and is very happy. We have Alarm force we pay 30$mth and are happy with them. These days you don't have to worry about having them drill in your house it's all RF. Our place is 2100sqft. 2 motion sensors, 2 door contacts. It's the type that when something goes wrong, they speak to you through the speaker they install. OUr system can be activated via your home phone and deactivated as well. Which is nice when you get into your warm bed only to realize you didnt turn it on.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited November 2007
    If you want a monitored system,I would also rec. ADT...You can have a system installed that's not monitored,(no fees)that will have a LOAD siren go off when there is an intrusion.

We swithched to ADT because of the breakin and fire monitoring.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    Have you guys looked into any of the other home automation sites such as X10? I know there are higher end set-ups as well and was curious what you guys thought about that sort of stuff if you just wanted a basic home security system? I also like some of the other automation features like computer controlled lighting and outlets etc.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    I've used the lower-end X-10 stuff before - motion sensor switches, remote outlets, etc. It's a fun toy; using it for more than that I can't comment on. Actually, I know a friend of mine had a remote door lock at one point; he used it to let in a plumber while he was at work.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    I have (and recommend) ADT - very responsive and they do what they say they will do.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited November 2007
    We currently use U.S. Security, Inc. They are monitoring both break-ins and fire. Cost per month for similar size home as yours is $24.99.

Not sure how they compare to the others. All I know is if you open the door and the alarm goes out, the phone will ring asking if you are ok. That gives me confidence that they are at least responsive.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Used ADT back East and liked their response, service and helpfulness.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    We used to have a Polk member that was in the business, anyone remember who it was?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2