sr6500 tweeter fuse

bizza
bizza Posts: 21
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
So well, I finally installed these. They are great, I love them.
They are in fully deadened doors, getting 50 x 2 rms from an Aura 4200 4 ch amp.
Now, when I play them a bit loud (about 25 out of 35 on my Alpine HU, depending on the song), the crossovers light up like christmas trees. Not only am I concerned about the crossovers and the tweets, but it is annoying driving at night and having my underseats light up to the rythm of the music lol...

Any idea wtf is up here?? I didnt spend $600+ on a pair of components that can't handle 50 rms......
Post edited by bizza on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    Is there a chance your gains are set too high and you've run the amp into clipping (hence the tweeter protection engaging)? Or maybe your amp is underrated? Not familiar with the amp.

I'm running more than that to a pair of SR5250s, and the bulbs in the tweeter protection circuit don't light up at the volumes I listen at. I've yet to have tweeter output diminish (a sign the protection circuit is engaging) even at the highest volume levels I've played them at. :confused:
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    The bulb is there to protect the tweeters so if they're lighting up they're doing the job. I've got a Zapco amp in my car running 100 watts x 4, and two of those channels drive SR5250 crossovers and my bulbs don't light up unless I'm really beating the **** out of the system.

I asked our engineer about it and he said: "The bulb responds to RMS current. More current makes them heat up and glow, which raises their resistance and limits the current that can get to the tweeters. When they're cold, they're basically shorts so there's no limiting, but once they pass a certain level of current they heat up quickly and clamp the current flow. So, if he is clipping the amps they're spraying distortion into the circuit which raises the RMS level and could cause the bulbs to glow more readily than a clean amp at the same SPL."

An Alpine head unit that goes up to 35 max volume should have clean output up to 32 or so. So the loudest you ever listen should be at 32, and the gains could be backed down so that you're not clipping at that point. With only 50 watts a channel you might not reach a desired output before clipping, so if a slight gain adjustment doesn't work you'll need a bigger amp.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Agreed.

Im running the 5250's and Im bi-amping them so each tweeter is getting 50 watts and each mid is getting 50 watts and they can handle it no problem.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bizza
    edited November 2007
    Is there a chance your gains are set too high and you've run the amp into clipping (hence the tweeter protection engaging)? Or maybe your amp is underrated? Not familiar with the amp.

I'm running more than that to a pair of SR5250s, and the bulbs in the tweeter protection circuit don't light up at the volumes I listen at. I've yet to have tweeter output diminish (a sign the protection circuit is engaging) even at the highest volume levels I've played them at. :confused:

gains on the amp are set at around 2pm on the gain knob (maybe 75%).

Right now I'm not using the other 2 channels on my amp. Eventually, I could bridge this amp to provide 150 x 2 rms to the components, but if they can't even handle 50 rms, dont want to smoke them to pieces with 150 rms....
  • bizza
    edited November 2007
    Thom wrote: »
    The bulb is there to protect the tweeters so if they're lighting up they're doing the job. I've got a Zapco amp in my car running 100 watts x 4, and two of those channels drive SR5250 crossovers and my bulbs don't light up unless I'm really beating the **** out of the system.

I asked our engineer about it and he said: "The bulb responds to RMS current. More current makes them heat up and glow, which raises their resistance and limits the current that can get to the tweeters. When they're cold, they're basically shorts so there's no limiting, but once they pass a certain level of current they heat up quickly and clamp the current flow. So, if he is clipping the amps they're spraying distortion into the circuit which raises the RMS level and could cause the bulbs to glow more readily than a clean amp at the same SPL."

An Alpine head unit that goes up to 35 max volume should have clean output up to 32 or so. So the loudest you ever listen should be at 32, and the gains could be backed down so that you're not clipping at that point. With only 50 watts a channel you might not reach a desired output before clipping, so if a slight gain adjustment doesn't work you'll need a bigger amp.

Well I am fine with the protection doing its job, however it was my understanding that these could handle at least 100 RMS...

Now, that is interesting about the clipping. Could clipping in a 50 rms channel do this for the SR6500s?? Would you say that I could safely bridge the channels on my amp to give them 150 rms, and maybe this could let me listen at the same volume level without those lights flashing???
  • bizza
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Agreed.

Im running the 5250's and Im bi-amping them so each tweeter is getting 50 watts and each mid is getting 50 watts and they can handle it no problem.

ok I'm starting to think that maybe my amp isn't clean enough, and it is clipping.

Are you able to crank up your SR5250s without the lights flashing??

Another thing: at this volumes, where the bulbs light up, I get plenty of background noise. Is this a sign of clipping???
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    When a signal fed to your speakers is clipped, you'll get a harsh, distorted signal and some background noise along with it. The normally smooth sine waves found in the signal become chopped at the top and bottom, and the resulting signal is distorted- your amp will put out more than it's rated power when driven into clipping, so if that's the case your speakers are seeing much more than 50 watts RMS.

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

http://www.bcae1.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if you are trying to get more volume out of your amp than it's designed for. The SR5250s and SR6500s are definitely capable of handling their continuous rated power specifications, so you'll want to turn your gain down...if the resulting volume level with 50 watts isn't sufficient, you might want to consider upgrading the amp to something putting out the 125 watts RMS your SR6500s are rated at (the 5250s are rated lower, at 100 watts RMS) to get the volume level you desire without clipping.
  • bizza
    edited November 2007
    When a signal fed to your speakers is clipped, you'll get a harsh, distorted signal and some background noise along with it. The normally smooth sine waves found in the signal become chopped at the top and bottom, and the resulting signal is distorted- your amp will put out more than it's rated power when driven into clipping, so if that's the case your speakers are seeing much more than 50 watts RMS.

http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/gain.htm

http://www.bcae1.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if you are trying to get more volume out of your amp than it's designed for. The SR5250s and SR6500s are definitely capable of handling their continuous rated power specifications, so you'll want to turn your gain down...if the resulting volume level with 50 watts isn't sufficient, you might want to consider upgrading the amp to something putting out the 125 watts RMS your SR6500s are rated at (the 5250s are rated lower, at 100 watts RMS) to get the volume level you desire without clipping.

That's an excellent answer. I just spent the last hour reading up on setting up gains, I thought it was kindof a volume control or something... had no clue that it is used to match the HU with the amp...

This makes so much sense, I was obviously driving my amp into clipping, as I tried to get more volume.

Many thanks to everyone for the help. I'll go ahead and bridge the channels in my amp to feed the components with 150 x 2 rms, and hopefully that should resolve the issues. I'll report back when I'm done!

btw, I'll see if I can catch a video of those bulbs lighting up for the last time! You could easily believe that I installed custom leds under the seats that light up to the rythm of the music, pretty neat lol...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Beat me to it.

Setting the gains at 2:00 is way too high. Thom was right and you were clipping your amps and sending out not only a very distorted signal but also one at about 125 watts. Remember, when you clip an amp the signals output is limited only by its input voltage so itll send out a whopper of a powerful signal.

Youre on the right track now tho.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    I want new speakers. :(
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520