Do I need a Line Driver...???

Chwnn255
Chwnn255 Posts: 24
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Questions:

1. When is a Line Driver needed? My HU (Kenwood DNX 7100) has only 2v out.
2. What brand is the best?
3. Do these devices have any other features like EQ, etc. that would help justify the expense and install?
4. Would you put one in? Or are they a pain and hardly ever help?

...I travel 18 states for my job and listen mostly to AAIF, AAC ...basically all uncompressed audio from my Creative Zen 30GB wide view (sweet pc).

Speakers are sr6500's front AND rear! Still trying to figure out my sub issue.

HELP! :confused:
Post edited by Chwnn255 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    i have heard of a Equalizer with a built in line driver... ummm I would def use a line driver if i got the apline IDX 1000 i think it is (the one that only does ipods, no CDs) its got a 1.5v preout. so i mean if u have the money, yeah it will help, as far as brands i would imagine look for the better brands, not sure if apline,mtx,RF,kenwood make them, but just go with a well known brand.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    If you get something like Rockford Fosgates 360.2, it comes with all the equalization you could ask for, as well as having an underrated 5V output.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    If you dont have a constant hiss in your system, you dont need a line driver.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • peffy03
    peffy03 Posts: 50
    edited November 2007
    i used to use a planet audio equalizer that had a built in 8v line driver made a bg difference in clarity and volume levels. it also gave me sub control in my dash. i think the model was peq15 or something planet makes some nice line drivers pld2 and pld6 you can usually pick them up on ebay for pretty cheap and planet always made a good product.
    -Jeff

My System:
    Onkyo Sr604
    Carver 125x2
    Polk Rti 10 (biamped)
    Polk Monitor 30
    Polk psw10bk
    Polk Rti6
    polk CSi3
    Monster ripoff wire
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    A line driver is useful when you have low voltage pre-outs, and when you set your amplifier gains you have to max them out and get noise as a byproduct. 1.5 or 2 V used to be the norm in the industry, and for most people that voltage didn't cause much in the way of problems. 2V at the pre-outs should be more than sufficient, but without getting to experiment with your exact equipment combo it's hard to say.

I'd be wary of adding additional components into the signal path if you truly don't need them, as they give noise other avenues to get into the signal path. Generally, the higher the voltage at the pre-outs, the lower you can theoretically set your gains, thus keeping your noise floor at a minimum. Some products (the AudioControl EQS comes to mind) give you some comprehensive processing downstream from the head unit and bump up the pre-out voltage as a pleasant byproduct, but early models did add some noise to the system- later models have that ironed out from what I hear. The RF 3Sixty.2 gives you scads of processing power and also raises the voltage at the outputs. Some really cheap bargain brand EQ models claiming to raise the voltage might not be worth the trouble- either skip the concept or get something reputable.
  • Chwnn255
    edited November 2007
    OK.. so I'll skip the line driver until I have ither a hiss or too much money and time on my hands. Anyone know the latest on the JBL MS-8? That seems like it gonna take the fun out of tweaking our systems... and I for one... CAN'T WAIT! Can you pre-order from anywhere yet?

Quote: "Why are men always smarter when they're having sex?? Answer: 'Cause they're plugged into a genius!"
  • Chwnn255
    edited November 2007
    BTW... on the sub issue. I finally said "wth.. it's only money" and ordered the Apline PDX's. 150.4 and 500.1 and a Critical Mass LS102 (shallow) sub. Wow, was that thing spendy! Will put it in a Stealthbox (console) I got off ebay for 1/3 new... AND it's only a year old. SOoo anybody want a JL Audio 10W3v3-4 cheap???

Now I'm ready to take on MacLeod! Bring it on Mac-ee Boy!

...jk... please don't hurt me! :)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Trust me, you dont want nun. I dont have a life so I can sit here and look up stuff all day long! :D

The MS-8 isnt out yet as far as I know.

Might wanna make sure that Critical Mass sub will fit in the Stealthbox. The W3 is a pretty basic sub but Critical Mass subs are a little beefier.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SQS
    SQS Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    Chwnn255 wrote: »
    BTW... on the sub issue. I finally said "wth.. it's only money" and ordered the Apline PDX's. 150.4 and 500.1 and a Critical Mass LS102 (shallow) sub.
    Any chance you could PM me with info on where you got the Critical Mass sub? I'd PM you but I don't have 10 posts, hopefully you're subscribed.. or some kind soul sees this and PMs you telling you to check this out to help a newbie. :D
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited February 2008
    Could this be the problem why my CD7100 (8v pre outs) is giving me a hiss with the new amplifier that I got (Eclipse XA4000)?

I certainly have the gains a little over half (~2v) and I hear a hiss. I can turn on the speakers as high as I can without any distortion though.. in fact that's the way I set the gains. Put the HU at 3/4 volume, and then raised the gains until distortion, but it was too loud and I couldn't really hear distortion.

Maybe I'll lower the gains and see if the hiss is gone. Someone told me to look at grounds but everything seems to be grounded properly.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited February 2008
    what input sensitivty is ur amp on? 8v is plenty and eclipse is known for great quality head units.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2008
    if by input sensitivity you mean the knob that goes from 8v to .2v, I had it at 3/4 towards the .2 for the front and around the middle for the rears.
  • eloplayspolo
    edited February 2008
    on ur amp... their should be a button that says "input sensitivity"
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2008
    It says input level... goes from 8v to .2v

I don't see any other ones that could be the one.

for front:
    low pass, hi pass, bass boost freq level, and input level

for rear the same knobs

and then there's four switches, to for filter (high/low) and two for MONO (on off); one each for front/rear
  • eloplayspolo
    edited February 2008
    o gotcha... turn it to where u think 1 would be and see if that sounds any diffrent.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8