2- psw-650 , subs
1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
Post edited by joe logston on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2002
    I definetly see an upgrade potential here!

1080p on a disk... Damn!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2002
    Like I've said all along, we will see HD-DVD players on the market by next Christmas, I still believe that.

D-VHS was nothing more than a stepping stone. A failed format. Soon after we will see recordable HD-DVD players on the market.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    I would like to see econimical scalers built into a dvd player for an increase in quality of say a non-hdef cable box or direct tv service.

what do ya think?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    As long as it is backward compatable to DVD (which I have heard it will be) this is ok. I'm happy with the quality of my DVDs that I have now. Better quality will be a plus but I don't want to have to replace my DVDs.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited October 2002
    Just as long as it plays current DVDs, I'm all about it.

**** in 1080i... mmmmm :) hahaha
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • HBombToo
    edited October 2002
    Steve, I though progressive out is better? school me here please...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2002
    480p (progressive) is much better than 480i (interlaced), but not better than 1080i (interlaced).

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2002
    Ron's on the right track here - an HDTV is set to either interlaced or progressive, depending on the DVD player. We all like progressive better, but the resolution of an image with either setting (1080i/540p) is identical. Progressive just gives a smoother picture with fast motion scenes.

Anyway, these numbers represent the POTENTIAL of the TV's resolution. What is actually SENT to the TV is a different story - all DVDs are at best "medium definition" - I don't know the exact resolution of the current DVD image, but it is certainly not 1080i/540p.

The blue laser DVD will be a true 1080i image, which of course will still be able to be converted to 540p if you buy a progressive scanning player.

If anyone wants to see a true high def feed, just go to any local HT store and look at the HDTVs - almost all of them are fed a continuous 1080i loop. It's not THAT much more impressive than the current crop of DVDs, but it IS a tad sharper.

It's GOTTA be backwards compatible or it would be a stillborn. Most of us have at least $1,000+ invested in DVDs.

Doc.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    edited October 2002
    HD-DVD One Format Only Campaign

Some good read'n.

If...
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited November 2002
    Dr. Spec is correct. If this thing does not catch the attention of the early adopter and then flow to the common user with backward combatability, then it will be stillborn upon its birth.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2002
    From what I've heard, DVD is now common even among people who listen through their analog TVs & buy sub-$200 units at BBuy, CCity, Wal Mart, etc. DVD has achieved excellent market saturation in a very short time. But with the economy the way it is (altho we don't know what it'll be like in 2 yrs), I don't see the great mass of consumers running out to buy a new kind of DVD player. But I suppose one will only find out for sure if/when someone follows thru with it & the market decides.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing