speakers Honda Civic Sedan

bobmel2
bobmel2 Posts: 9
edited December 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just wondering if anyone knows the RMS on Stock speakers for 2008 Honda Civic.
Post edited by bobmel2 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    replace them and u will be happy.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
  • bobmel2
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for your help. I am leaning on replacing them. Since I am putting MMC 6500 in front what suggestions would anyone have for rear. I am on a tight budget and I am looking more for fill than anything. Also I know the more power the better but will an alpine F250 amp be suffient for good SQ to run both front and rear. If not could anyone advise a good amp for around $200.00. Also do I need the same rms on rears as on the fronts?
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    Are the rear speakers 6.5" also or 6x9?

That Alpine amp is decent, but it only puts out 40 x 4 @ 4 ohms. So if you get 4 speakers rated at 4 ohms (the majority are), that means all of them will be getting 40 watts. Those momo components can handle much more than that and probably won't sound as good as they could if they had more power. If you don't want to spend more money, I say forget about the rear speakers and use that Alpine amp to bi-amp those momo components. That way you'll get more out of them. Or you could bridge the amp, and have 100 watts going to each 'side' if you don't want to bi-amp them. I would probably bi-amp them, though.

And to answer your question, the front and rear do not need to be receiving the same amount of power.
  • bobmel2
    edited November 2007
    First off I am really thankful for all the help here. Kudos for Polk Audio for this forum. Your forum is a great learning tool. Now to my speakers. Unfortunity my rear speakers are 5 1/2 size. only thing that fits my civic. I could maybe go off my budget some and get the MOMO 525's rated at 70 rms I believe. But then I would definally need to upgrade my amp to maybe an Alpine F450. Or like someone suggested just bi amp the fronts. Thanks to all for the help. I learn something new with each post.
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    I have a pair of those 5.25" momo's you speak of. They were getting about 90 watts when I had them up front, and for they're price, they actually really impressed me.

If you don't mind used stuff, you can prolly get a good deal for an amp off of ebay. I usually prefer to buy from a retailer just in case something goes wrong, but it'll save a lot of money if you can find something used.
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    In a few minutes, this is what I've found:
    This
    This
    This
    This

Any 4-channel amp with 75x4 or so would work great for what you're looking for imo.
  • bobmel2
    edited November 2007
    Thanks I really never thought about looking for used amps. a very good alternative. Goes with my budget.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    our car blows for car audio, sell it. im not kididng either, my current setup isnt working :(
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    I dont think has anything to do with the car. The wiring for an audio setup will pretty much be the same in every car.
  • bobmel2
    edited November 2007
    This may sound silly and stupid on my part, but can you say buy a pair of speakers for the rear rated at say 45 rms with the fronts at 125 rms and use a 4 channel amp putting out 75 watts per channel. Would this blow out the rear speakers? I really want the Momos MMC's 6500 for the front, but don't want to put much money into rear speakers. I also want at least 75 watts going into the front. I guess one way is just forget the rears and buy a decent 2 channel amp to power the fronts only. My wife feels we need the rears, but I just want the good sound quality and ready to sacrafice if need be.
  • black magic
    edited November 2007
    bobmel2 wrote: »
    This may sound silly and stupid on my part, but can you say buy a pair of speakers for the rear rated at say 45 rms with the fronts at 125 rms and use a 4 channel amp putting out 75 watts per channel.

There's nothing wrong with doing that. Just make sure you don't have the gain turned up all the way. Most after market speakers can handle a decent amount of power.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Yup. Its all in the gain settings.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobmel2
    edited November 2007
    Will Thanks to everyone for the help. I am now in the process of finalizing the purchase.
    Fronts MMC 6500
    Rears DB525
    Amp Alpine F450
    One new Question before I make the purchase. I was wondering if my head unit is pre wired for the amp or do I need to make any adjustments? Also found some good deals with amps on ebay.:)
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited November 2007
    The factory radio has only high level outputs (speaker level). If the Alpine amp has high level inputs then use them. If it does not then you will need two LOC's and a set of RCA's. Install the LOC's (line output converter) behind the radio. If you decide to change source units later then your RCA's will already be run. I doubt your factory radio will have a remote out either but you can wire it to your radios accessory wire. That way your amp will come on with you turn the key on. You will also have to disconnect your speaker wires from your factory radio if you are not running new ones.
  • bobmel2
    edited December 2007
    Hi all
    Just kind of wondering I have a head unit on the Honda Civic w/navigation will this pose any issues with amp hook up? I am getting ready to purchase the speakers and amp, but want to make sure I am not getting into something over my head on hookup. Thanks
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited December 2007