VHS to digital?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Does anyone know how to convert VHS to digital? Not even sure if it's possible, but I'm thinking if you hook up a VCR to a computer, you can play VHS videotapes on your computer, and if you can play them, you can record them. Is this a good assumption? I have a friend who wants to preserve her VHS collection.

Just wondering the best (and cheapest) way to get this done.

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    Found this website and it was slightly helpful:

http://www.signvideo.com/conv-v-to-d.htm
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2007
    You can do it on the computer. You need a video card or a tuner/input card that will let you make the proper connections. That said, after messing around with it for a while I've just about decided that the easier way might be to get a stand-alone DVD recorder and just make the connections and copy. I haven't actually tried that, but it sounds easier than what I was trying to do on my computer:

A couple of years ago I decided I was going to convert some VHS and 8mm movies to DVD, so I bought an ATI A-I-W card and a DVD burner for my computer. Long story short, I had all kinds of trouble, everything from driver trouble, crappy ATI software, DVD authoring tools... all the copy protection junk that you can't get away from (had AGC troubles related to Macrovision, even trying to copy my own personal home movies and never did get that sorted out). Now part of the problem was that I didn't really know what I was doing to begin with- I know a little more about it now and I think I could do better, especially with a better tuner/video input card.

I don't know if copy protection will still get you on the stand-alone DVD recorder, but barring (and if you're not trying to edit) it's bound to be easier.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    "VHS to digital?" EB says?

Why?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    you can buy cheaply (and legally i might add) a dvd recorder that has VHS on it too. you just pop in the tape and dub it over to DVD. if you cant find that you can always buy an analog to dv converter. basically takes an s-video or composite signal into the little box and outputs it through firewire to your pc. however you then have to have the correct software to record, convert, and then burn the VHS to DVD. most nicer units come with a suite. Canopus is what i have for when i have to do an analog to dv transfer (for my work) but they can be a bit pricey. also, the quality still sucks...
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited November 2007
    My father in law is currently using the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR USB2. It's a great little product and one of the few that I have found that works with Vista. It's pretty easy to setup and use. He bought Pinnacle software to edit everything even though it does come with some software that you can use to edit and burn DVD's if you wanted. Not only that, but you can use it like a PVR as well. Have fun.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited November 2007
    you can buy cheaply (and legally i might add) a dvd recorder that has VHS on it too. you just pop in the tape and dub it over to DVD. if you cant find that you can always buy an analog to dv converter. basically takes an s-video or composite signal into the little box and outputs it through firewire to your pc. however you then have to have the correct software to record, convert, and then burn the VHS to DVD. most nicer units come with a suite. Canopus is what i have for when i have to do an analog to dv transfer (for my work) but they can be a bit pricey. also, the quality still sucks...

I think many of these units will refuse to copy any tapes with macrovision copyprotection. Just something to check before you buy?

Good luck.

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2007
    Early:
    Another possibility that I've heard, but haven't tried is to send the signal into a mini-DV camcorder, then out to the hard drive. For those with a laptop this may be their easiest solution, as long had they can get ahold of a mini-DV.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    you can buy cheaply a dvd recorder that has VHS on it too. you just pop in the tape and dub it over to DVD.

I actually bought one of these machines pretty cheaply and it works fine. it will also record directly from the tv as well as dub from vhs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited November 2007
    I've used the VHS to DVD machines, they work great, if you need to get around the protection use separate stand alone machines with the macro stripper inline that can be picked up at BB or CC. I've used those and had no problems.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2