Didn't a member of this forum recently get scammed from someone from West Virginia?

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have an item on A'gon. An interested party emailed this to me:

Hello There
I am Becca.I am based in West Virginia and am very intrested in buying the item posted on Audiogon.I would love to known if it's still available and would love to know the last price you are willing to release it and i would love to know the accepted method of payment.Note..I will be making
pickup via my shipping company in WV ok..Will be waiting to read from you with answers to this qustions..ok
Have a nice day ahead
Becca

My Scammer Sense went into high gear. Does she really think I am going to let her shipping company come to my apartment?
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• SolidSqual
    edited November 2007
    I replied with this:

Dear Becca,

I apologize if the following offends you, but my scammer sense is going off. Do you wish to scam me? If you wish to purchase this item, I require a money order for $795. Your shipping company will not be picking this preamp up. If you are interested, I will send it via UPS after I receive payment.
    Thanks,

Mike
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    Seems like a scam to me.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    I don't know where that email's from, but I highly doubt it's West Virginia. I'd bet on somewhere in Nigeria or the UK.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,831
    edited November 2007
    I will be happy to act as go-between on this deal.

PM me your addy, and I will pick up the item, deliver it to the appropriate address,

and collect any funds. Sound good? :D

Oh yeah, then I'll bring the money back to you (always forget that part:confused:)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    Copy and paste the email header here. It should be easy enough to trace the originating network with either static or DHCP server IP.

Edit,

Also, after responding to some of these scammers, you should be careful with phishing. They get you to respond by email, then send you a phishing email to update your Bank America info. I've traced a few, and I think all of them came from Russia.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    I gather there was no reply..?!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • SolidSqual
    edited November 2007
    Nope no reply as of yet. I've already started running some tracers and emailed the message to the audiogon Gods.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    Who will, I'm sure, rain Thunder upon the heathens' heads. Post a craigslist ad for a free Wii, and give their contact info.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited November 2007
    Copy and paste the email header here. It should be easy enough to trace the originating network with either static or DHCP server IP.
    Why?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    kinda gives the "smooth talking con" a better rep, you would think they would at least find someone who could write a sentence using some grammatical reference in English.

RT1
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    Think about it, the guy who wrote that probably was chosen for his English skills.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited November 2007
    That just makes me feel confident about buying anything anywhere for a while now because I'm from West Virginia! LOL
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Why?

That way you can tell where it came from.
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.