New Video Card

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-7600GS-512MB-DDR2-PCI-E/dp/B000H6Z2G4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1195997144&sr=8-1

I have no clue about video cards. I bought it because it was on clearance at BB. It has replaced the video card that came with my Dell Dimension E510 computer. Just thought I'd try something new. The monitor is a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 if that matters. I have the monitor set at 1024 x 768 pixels 'cause it seems to look best there without being too small. Oh, and I don't do any gaming.

So far the video resolution is a bit better. It can probably be further improved if I spent more time tweaking the settings.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated from those with more experience with this stuff.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    If you want to overclock it, then grab ATITools or RivaTuner to do so. NVidia also has a utility called nTune that you can use. I've not tried it, but people generally seems to prefer one of the other tools better, even on an NVidia card...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Woohoo! Congrats on the video card. That's the same one I'm using! :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    You thought 1280x1024 had too small of text ? You should run that monitor on that resolution as it is its native resolution ( Will look worlds better at its native resolution )

1280x1024 on a 19" monitor should have fairly large text/font size ....now a 17" @ that resolution might be a problem. Those pics of yours will look MUCH better at native resolution for your panel as well ;)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Just bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-7600GS-512MB-DDR2-PCI-E/dp/B000H6Z2G4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1195997144&sr=8-1

I have no clue about video cards. I bought it because it was on clearance at BB. It has replaced the video card that came with my Dell Dimension E510 computer. Just thought I'd try something new. The monitor is a Viewsonic Optiquest Q9 if that matters. I have the monitor set at 1024 x 768 pixels 'cause it seems to look best there without being too small. Oh, and I don't do any gaming.

So far the video resolution is a bit better. It can probably be further improved if I spent more time tweaking the settings.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated from those with more experience with this stuff.

Its a great card, I have that card in the fanless version (silent) on my HTPC. It only DX9 (wont do Vista Aero or future DX10 games) (need the 8 series gforce) but its a solid card for just about any game right now thats pretty hard at 3d.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    You thought 1280x1024 had too small of text ? You should run that monitor on that resolution as it is its native resolution ( Will look worlds better at its native resolution )

1280x1024 on a 19" monitor should have fairly large text/font size ....now a 17" @ that resolution might be a problem. Those pics of yours will look MUCH better at native resolution for your panel as well ;)

Yeah, I tried 1280x1024 again and the font is too small for me, even when I use the largest font settings. The picture quality doesn't really improve, either. Right now I have it set at 1152x864. Perhaps the writing is small to me because my monitor doesn't sit on my desk, and it's about 4 feet from my eyes.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Its a great card, I have that card in the fanless version (silent) on my HTPC. It only DX9 (wont do Vista Aero or future DX10 games) (need the 8 series gforce) but its a solid card for just about any game right now thats pretty hard at 3d.

um... I have a 7800gt(DX9 card) and it will do aroe, don't need a dx 10 card for it.

Sorry for the slight derail.