Want to buy a car under invoice. Need some help.

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
My father works for GM and I get GMS pricing on vehicles, however, I have almost $3000 on my GM credit card and it's either GMS or the $3000 off, so I'm definitely going to use the $3000.

I'm looking at a 2007 Pontiac G6 base model with a sticker price of $17,950, which includes the $650 destination charge. Looking at some online sites it looks as though invoice is right at $1000 less than MSRP for this vehicle. GMS should be $700-$800 less than invoice from prior purchasing experience.

Ok, now here's what I need to know. How often would a dealer sell a car under invoice? Remember, this is a 2007 model and I'm sure they're looking to get rid of it. I've read before that invoice is supposedly what the dealership paid for it but that's not always the case.

I was out looking at Chevy Cobalts yesterday and the one I liked had a sticker of $14,800. They showed me the actual paperwork with the $14,200 invoice and $13,600 GMS. They said they would go $100 over invoice at $14,300 without even making me try. This makes me think dealers might go under invoice just to get rid of old stock.

So, if anyone out there has car selling experience (Noel?) and could help me out I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks.
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    It all depends on the particular model on how much they'll deal. The dealers aren't "supposed" to discount employee prices. That keeps it fair from dealer to dealer. Employee price on the same car is the same no matter what dealer. Now as far as discounting close-outs(no employee discount involved), that would be up to the dealer and is determined on how many 07s of that model they have in stock. Ask the dealer about incentives and dealer cash. If you'd consider a Ford, I could help you out over here.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the reply, Noel.

I have to purchase a GM because we have $2800 on our GM card and my father works for GM (he would disown me and I love their cars). I've called 3 dealers so far and am currently at $500 under invoice. Sticker is $17,975. With the rebate and my discount I'm sitting at $12,300 out the door,with tax, no joke! Figure without any incentives that car would be $17,985 x 1.0675 (tax) = $19,199. I think I'm doing pretty well :D

EDIT: $12,100 out the door
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like a no-brainer.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"