I hope I won't regret this...

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
So my hdd head unit was giving me too much trouble. My suspension is too harsh so the hard drive bounces a lot because I broke one of the tabs that holds it.

I could have easily opened the head unit and repaired it.

Instead I bought a CD7100!

It sounds better (of course) than what I have:

8v vs. 4v
11/7 Band Equalizer vs. Bass/Treble
Time Adjustment vs. ______
3 Sets of outputs vs. 2

etc etc.

However, the ease of use of the Dension DH100ix was great, and having 80 gigs of mp3's by kind/artist/album was very very neat.

I really hope that the sound difference is worth it, and that using my usb hdd on the Eclipse is not a pain. If not I'll be out of luck (not to say out of 500 dollars).

Stay tuned for a completely amateurish install!

So far:

Front: Alpine SPX177r (probably the next thing to be replaced <~~~ MMC6500 or SR6500??)

Rear: DB6500's which are pretty much there just for looks :o

Subs: 2 10" Infinity Perfect Kappas (also hoping to replace with polk momo's or SR's)

Power:

Eclipse 34230 2x370 rms for the subs
Eclipse (forgot- same ancient premuim lline of the 34230) 4x85 rms for the speakers (still needs to be installed).

Certainly not the best setup but I hope it will be decent.

Demon
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Youll never regret upgrading gear. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2007
    That is one sweet HU that can help make your system sound very nice.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited November 2007
    Well...
    CC shipped instantly, and they even installed it for free. They had to run the extra set of RCA's, and i asked them to run parallel 4 sets of speaker wire so that I can move my crossovers to the trunk (they are inside the door which is not the best place for them).

Anyway, sound does seem better, but not that much better. It has sooo many options to tune that I think it will be a good 2 months before I have it perfect. But having the options alone is a really nice thing, and I know once it's all properly tuned it will be much better.

The looks of it are nice, but it still looks too flashy for my tastes. My old head unit looked almost stock. It is still better than pretty much anything Alpine makes though (Yuck).

The use of it..... well here is where I'm having 2nd thoughts. Using the USB connection seems like an afterthought for them. Navigating through the folders is a PITA and one cannot browse and then choose what to play, but as one is browsing the music keeps changing. Also, in the manual it allows for only 3000 files (folders included), so it would be pointless to connect a 40 gig hard drive.

I gotta get used to that and it will be worth it in the end. Perhaps I will have to get an ipod and the adapter, but that's like another 300 dollars on top of the 500 the unit cost.

Demon