We almost lost our dog "Jake" Thanksgiving night!!

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
What started out as a great Thanksgiving day almost ended in tragedy. Jake is our wonderful Rottweiller, a loving dog full of energy & love.

We had our family dinner around 4:00 & big Jake was going just fine. He couldn't wait till it was his turn to eat. After the usual family talk around the table, we finally fed him at approx. 6:30. Let me tell you he was one happy camper. No turkey was included though because we were told that it isn't good for dogs (really don't know if that's true). Again everything was fine with him.

Around 8:00 we were in the livingroom having some coffee & dessert & there was Jake, just as fun loving as ever. Then we noticed he started drooling, something he doesn't do. At the time we didn't pay it much mind. I put him outside for his usual business & when he didn't come back in (he opens & closes the sliding glass door by himself) I took a walk outside to call him.

Well there he was standing in the yard with his head down trying to throw up. When I walked closer to him I saw that his stomach was blown up like a balloon. Man was I scared. I ran back in the house & everyone saw the look on my face.

A look in the yellow pages & we found a 24hr animal hospital. We called them & explained Jake's condition. When they heard what was going on they said to get him there "immediately". Talk about being scared.

We arrive & they rush him in to see the vet. Here he has what's called the "bloat" where their stomach twists & they can't elimanate from either end & they fill up with gas. The vet said we saved his life by geting him there so quickly, that within a couple of hours without treatment, he would have been dead.

Off he goes for surgery & everything went well. They untwist the stomach & staple it to the wall so it doesn't happen again. He is now in recovery & we can see him today & he'll most likely be able to come home Monday.

The total bill was a tad over 3k, but worth every penny as far as we're concerned. I guess my new toys will have to wait for a while.

Just keep an eye on your dogs for this condition. The vet said that they really don't know what causes the bloat. It can happen to any size but, but the large breeds seem to be the ones that it happens to the most.

Happy Thanksgiving!!! It truly was!
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    Glad big jake's alright. That's a scary frikkin Thanksgiving. glad there was a 24 hr vet around. I know where the one by me is too, just in case.

I've had the 3k vet bill, probably the easiest 3k you ever parted with eh?

pet Jake's big fuzzy head for me
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear he's gonna fine. My sisters weenie dog had the same thing. They have no clue what causes it. It just happens.
    Tip O' the hat to Jake and yourself for acting quickly.
    Turkey sammich for Breakfast!
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited November 2007
    Glad Jake is going to be alright.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear Jake is going to be ok.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear Jake is ok.

As for the 3k vet bill? Holy crap.....they don't have doggie insurance?
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    can you imagine what is going through Jake's mind.......he's probably like WTF happened??

Glad he is doing well.

RT1
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    Glad big jake's alright. That's a scary frikkin Thanksgiving. glad there was a 24 hr vet around. I know where the one by me is too, just in case.

I've had the 3k vet bill, probably the easiest 3k you ever parted with eh?

pet Jake's big fuzzy head for me

How right you are. I'd spend it again in a heartbeat if it meant saving my buddy Jake's life.

There's just something about the way a loving family pet touches our hearts. They truly are "one of the family" & deserve the same care & love.

Hell, the money can be replaced, but not my buddy!!!! :)
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited November 2007
    Good to hear that there was a happy ending and that you have the funds available to save your buddy. My family has shelled out a lot of money over the last 10 years on our pets and sometimes I wondered if we were crazy but it was always worth it to see ours pets healthy and happy again.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2007
    I am also glad to read that he is doing well and to also see others who feel our pets are worth spending money on. I just took one of my cats back to the vet where she will spend the day, again where she has been almost every day for almost two weeks. I also lost one of my others last Sunday very unexpectedly; as for the holidays, I definitely don't want to deal with them now.

I wish Jake and your family all the best.

Cindy
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    i would sell both my nuts to pay for my dogs surgery if i ever had to. dogs to me are just another member of the family. cats on the other hand....
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »

I think everyone needs a pic of Jake, he's such a big Guy!

Sal

I dont even think a pic would do the size of that dog justice. he is a effing TANK!!!!!! It figures it would take something odd like bloat to floor him, since I think he would laugh at the poor car that would be unlucky enough to hit him :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Pets are awesome - talk about unconditional love!!! We had our Jack Russell rushed to the vet after being attacked in our neighborhood and thank the Lord she only needed to get stitches. That alone cost upwards of $500.00!!!! Bloat is much more common in larger dogs and one theory is to elevate the food dish. Apparently, the dogs shouldn't eat with their heads down. The effort of swallowing the food from that position can twist the stomach and cause bloat. That's what our vet told us. They sell food dish holders that are elevated for this reason. Check this one out:

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?c=&T1=D15140&GEN1=Feeding+Your+Dog&SKW=+feeding&PageNo=1

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear he is ok now....funny how money doesnt mean squat when family members are involved...mine are basically children of mine with 4 legs ( Well...all 3 are over 100 pounds ...so I guess they are big kids )
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2007
    Man, I'd have hated to smell the gasser he had after they unlocked his ****. I remember wgat a normal one smelled like...

Good to hear everything worked out. You can replace the toys, but not your buddy...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2007
    i would sell both my nuts to pay for my dogs surgery if i ever had to. dogs to me are just another member of the family. cats on the other hand....

I hear you, I'd sell all my gearheck I'd give it to the vet if it meant saving Willow.

I'm really glad everthing worked out, I can only imagine what it would be like. I have never loved an animal as much as I love Willow.
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I dont even think a pic would do the size of that dog justice. he is a effing TANK!!!!!! It figures it would take something odd like bloat to floor him, since I think he would laugh at the poor car that would be unlucky enough to hit him :D

Yep, at 160lb with no fat he is one big fellow. And to make matters worse, he thinks he's a lap dog. Damn funny when he tries to get up on your lap while watching tv. Drives my wife crazy!!! LOL!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Yep, at 160lb with no fat he is one big fellow. And to make matters worse, he thinks he's a lap dog. Damn funny when he tries to get up on your lap while watching tv. Drives my wife crazy!!! LOL!

wth? 160 pound dog? What do you feed it? Small children?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Wow I'm so glad my buddy is okay Phil.

Maybe it was the big chuck he bit out of my belly that twisted up inside his!:eek::D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    Very scary - we have lost 2 dogs to bloat. (one just could not get him to the vet in time, the other while boarding her and we were not there) Glad to hear he is doing ok now. One question - how old is Jake? (much more common in an older dog)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    Very scary - we have lost 2 dogs to bloat. (one just could not get him to the vet in time, the other while boarding her and we were not there) Glad to hear he is doing ok now. One question - how old is Jake? (much more common in an older dog)

Happy Thanksgiving,

Michael

Sorry to hear about your guys. It's a helpless feeling that there's nothing you can do except get them to the vets as quick as possible. Without the operation the end result is very sad indeed.

He's 10 years old. That was the one negative about the whole procedure. All of his tests came back good & were a big positive. The vet did say that he's actually done the same operation on dogs 13 & that all went well.

Any operation is risky, and Jake was well worth the risk. As it turns out all went well & we're going up to see him today & most likely bring him home on Monday.

They staple the stomach to the wall some how to hopefully prevent it from happening again.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2007
    man Phil glad to hear the pup is going to be ok. Give him a pat on the head for me. i'm watching buster like a hawk with anything that he eats.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited November 2007
    We almost lost our horse "Jake" Thanksgiving night!!

There, fixed it for you.

Anyway, I'm glad Jake is on the mend.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Hmmmmm.....dog or new amp?Dog or new amp?

Just kidding. I am glad he is ok and I would do the same for my little guys.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2007
    Hmmmmm.....dog or new amp?Dog or new amp?

Just kidding. I am glad he is ok and I would do the same for my little guys.

Absolutely right, big Jake comes first. Audio gear will always be there. But, never the less, my Krell amp should be here shortly. It's ironic but Jake actually curls up on the sofa when I'm down stairs listening to my system. I actually think he enjoys the same music as I do! I would sure miss him if he wasn't there with me.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited November 2007
    The stomach "twisting" is a fairly common problem with Labs. By *common* I mean it's something that we were warned to look out for by our vet, but I don't think it really happens very often.

Typically it happens when the dog is rolling around on the ground, usually after they eat. I spent the first 13 years of my current dogs life trying to stop her from rolling after eating... but the damn dog just never "got it". She loved to roll over after every meal and make me nervous. Now at 13 years old she's driving me nuts with her pacing, senility, deafness and blindness so I don't pay much attention to her rolling :)

But in any case, i'm very glad you got your dog to the vet in time and were able to resolve the situation. Quite scary.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    Man, I was sweating bullets reading your story. A friend of mine was rushing his German Shepherd with the same condition to the vet but he didn't make it in time. I'm glad everything worked out.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    I'm glad everything turned out ok for Jake!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pearsall001
    edited November 2007
    Just wanted to thank everybody for their kind words & support. We got our Jake back early Saturday morning. The hospital called us & 6:00am & told us to be there by 7:15 to pick him up.

His recovery went very, very well indeed. he was supposed to be in until Monday morning. I guess he was in a hurry to come home!!! :D

He's almost back to his normal self & looking good!!

Thanks again everybody!!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    I'm glad your horse, I mean Jake is home! I know if anything happened to Moose I'd be heartbroken. Maybe I'll come by and let him bite my belly again for old time sakes!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Glad to hear he's well on his way to being his old self!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520