Tool Chests?

unc2701
unc2701 Posts: 3,587
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm using an old dresser right now & it's starting to get to me. Can't find anything at all. Anyone have recommendations on a solid tool chest that's not going to rape my wallet?

Been checking out the stainless kobalt ones at lowes- not pro, but probably will cover my usage level. Any experience out there?

Thanks!
Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
Post edited by unc2701 on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    If you have a Costco near you they sell an awesome stainless steel one that I have wanted for ever. I think the top and the bottom go for about 700ish. Ball bearing drawers with draw liners....yum
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    I've never owned any tool chests besides Sears Craftsman. Mine are at least 30 years old and still solid as ever.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    Go check pawn shops or Craigslist. Get an old Craftsman.
    $75 or a $100 for a roll around. I got a 9 drawer roll around at
    a pawn shop a few years back for $100 that was just like new.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited November 2007
    You can't really beat Kennedy though I'm not sure how much they are new. We have a lot spread across many years of buying and they have all held up great.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Craftsman here and recommended. If memory serves, they have a sale around this time of year on tool chests. Costco and Sam's have some nice looking BIG one's, but I have only glanced at them passing by since I have one already.

Regardless, when you get one....you will discover that it was one of the wisest investments that you have ever made. Those that have them know what I'm talking about.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    I would check out Craigs List and pawn shops for an older Mac or Snap-On box along with the Craftsman......You can find those for a steal used, most of the guys selling them just need them gone, or their wives are selling them while the hubby is in prison.....I got to witness that, my buddy got an awesome deal from that lady....
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys- been haunting CL for a while & nothing has turned up, but it sounds like the craftsman's are pretty solid. They're on sale tomorrow, but I'd rather take a miter saw to my hand than go to the mall...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if this will help in your area, but we just saw a TV commercial for a Home Depot 9 shelf tool chest for 59 bucks. No Idea about quality.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    I would check out Craigs List and pawn shops for an older Mac or Snap-On box
    Ditto on that. If you can muster the patience, you'll never regret having something of higher quality.

After all...

There is a difference.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520