laptop computer memory info needed

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is prob a pretty simple ? for lots of people more computer savy than me..

but If i want to upgrade the memory in a notebook computer and double it from 1gig to 2gigs of PC4200, 2 x 512 MB DDR2, 533 MHz can any DDR2 memory work in there as long as the pins match up? So could i got with a PC6400 DDR2 with 800MHz and get more speed out of it? of do I have to stick with exactly what came with the computer? Meaning is has to be the same PC4200, but more capacity?
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    on a side note.. i have an old desktop computer that uses RDRAM, and I just checked the price of it for 512mb.
    Holy duck tape! why did this RAM never come down in price? Considering my computer is so old it came with at the time a 40gig HD :eek: which was condsidered huge back then :p;)

512MB PC800 RDRAM 800MHz ECC each $250 :eek::confused: and i need two :eek::eek:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    I hear ya on the RDRAM. It is cheaper to buy a mobo, proc, and ram than it is 2 gigs of RDRAM.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    on a side note.. i have an old desktop computer that uses RDRAM, and I just checked the price of it for 512mb.
    Holy duck tape! why did this RAM never come down in price? Considering my computer is so old it came with at the time a 40gig HD :eek: which was condsidered huge back then :p;)

512MB PC800 RDRAM 800MHz ECC each $250 :eek::confused: and i need two :eek::eek:

Yeah, that's a real pain. Mine has 36GB with those RDRAMs too. 45ns seems a little cheaper.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    http://crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

pretty good tool for telling you whats compatible..also they have pretty sweet prices right now
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    This is prob a pretty simple ? for lots of people more computer savy than me..

but If i want to upgrade the memory in a notebook computer and double it from 1gig to 2gigs of PC4200, 2 x 512 MB DDR2, 533 MHz can any DDR2 memory work in there as long as the pins match up? So could i got with a PC6400 DDR2 with 800MHz and get more speed out of it? of do I have to stick with exactly what came with the computer? Meaning is has to be the same PC4200, but more capacity?

Depends on the motherboard of the laptop and what it takes. Unless one of the first DDR2 boards, it should take 800mhz but you never know. If you mix ram, they need to be the same speed. You can mix them in some boards and manufacturers and the ram will step down to the slower speed. If the board doesn’t like that, it'll end up with BSOD's
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing