Not so Technical question

Bubba -NJ
Bubba -NJ Posts: 45
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I bought a dual amp wiring kit . The problem I have is finding a place to safely bring the power wire from the battery through the fire wall . I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban . Does anybody have any experience with my vehicle and doing an install of an amplifier ? It seems that everywhere I look under the dash that there is some sort of obstruction . Please help ! Thank you in advance and have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving .
Post edited by Bubba -NJ on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    from the in side if it has the rubber up under the steering wheel by the fire wall, there is a tab sticking out connected to a perforated circle, after you pull it out/ or if it's just metal, there is a dimple that is a nice drilling spot. Just make sure you use a grommet, butyl or both as to not chaff the wiring.
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited November 2007
    from the in side if it has the rubber up under the steering wheel by the fire wall, there is a tab sticking out connected to a perforated circle, after you pull it out/ or if it's just metal, there is a dimple that is a nice drilling spot. Just make sure you use a grommet, butyl or both as to not chaff the wiring.

Do you mean where the main wire harness comes through ? There is a large rubber boot around the main wire harness .
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited November 2007
    You can go through the existing rubbe boot if you like. Under your dash to the left of the brake there is a electrical box. Its about 4"X 8". You can't miss it. You will need a flash light or a shoplight but look right above this box to the left on the fire wall and you will see what dudeinaroom is talking about. The insulation covering the fire wall is peforated in a circle about 2.5 inchs in diameter. Pull the tab and it will come off. Drill toward the center but be careful. Under the hood on the other side of the fire wall is a wiring harness that goes right down the center of where you are drilling. You may have to move it over a little bit. You may also have to remove the black insulation on the under hood side of the fire wall. To make all of this easier remove the bracket going from the fender to the cowel area. It has four 13mm bolts holding it on and it is easy to take off and it makes getting to the area much easier.
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited November 2007
    Thank you gentlemen . I found the spot you were referring to , hole is drilled and the wire is run .
  • Bubba -NJ
    edited November 2007
    Everything is hooked up and working . I removed the factory sub and replaced it with a 8" Momo in the stock location . I needed to add a 3/4" spacer of MDF for the added depth of the new sub woofer so I made a piece that covered the entire front of the factory sub box and secured it with screws and liquid nails . Reinstalled the interior panels after cutting out the plastic grill , mounted the momo , looks great . Fired it all up , woo hoo . I've since ordered the momo grill from crutchfield for protection .
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    Awsesome, now we just need some pics. Thanks for replying installer, I've been hit and miss on the forums lately. I kinda miss installing, It's been 3 years, I don't miss the bolt on stuff, just the electronics.