Adcom GFA-555 original series with pedigree

Options
SKsolutions
SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
edited November 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
$290 plus shipping from Boston, +paypal.

Adcom GFA-555 original series amp bought in the FM in this thread
If you read the thread, it was originally owned by George Daniel, HTrookie, then Dudeinaroom, then me. I added a total of around 200hrs, driving only LSi9's. It performed quite well, and made me remember the first time I heard this amazing amp back around 1989. The amp never got hot, actually was very cool, even driving the 4 ohm load. There are two bent fins in back that I got a shot of. The pictures are representative if it's condition. Adcoms are a **** to photo.

I now have two of these, and one has to go. I figure this one has a pedigree, so it's the one on the chopping block. I guarantee that it will work as it should upon arrival, and if there is any problem, I'll gladly take it back minus shipping. I will double box it, and I'll pay for the shipping insurance.

realboston@gmail.com
-Ignorance is strength -
Post edited by SKsolutions on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That is a grat amp, just wish I didn't have to get rid of it. Sksolutions is a great buyer no problems with our transaction. WOW Fedex F'ed those fins up, I guarantee you I did NOT leave here that way. I tried to make a claim bu phone and e-mail, and was told we will get back to you. At least it's only cosmetic, and on the back.
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    No worries man, it plays sweet as pie. I'm looking to move both the 555s, and try a step up, maybe Classe, BK 200.2, or a cheaper Belles if I can find one. I'm holding one till I find the replacement. Thanks for the cred, Ted.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Not to Sid-up the thread :D , but I won't be using fedex. It's twice in a row that they've drop kicked **** to my door, ding, dong, ditch. F-em.

Shipping is via UPS with tracking. Price lowered, I'm thankful FedEx could find the street.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    why are Adcom amps like the 555 so big/tall? is there any unused room in there or is it all wall to wall guts?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Here is an inside shot if you missed Crazy Doros 'show me your guts' thread. Layout is simple and elegant. Power and filter Caps up front, and Outputs transistors mounted right on the rear fins.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Options
    The caps and rails in the 555 take up a good amount of the space. You should see the couple that Dodd modded - I got actually see one 'smoke' on some of Danny's (GR Research) Alpha LS - he pushed it beyond the limits - I'm suprised the HOUSE structure didn't fail before the amp. I never want to hear anything that loud again, even standing outside with my hands cupped over my ears.

He added a second power tranny stacked ontop of the other, modded each board, and damn near tripled the voltage onto each rail, IIRC. Benched at near 800w continuous. Lots of room to upgrade, posts, IEC, etc - a great amp to tweak.

Regarless, hardcore amp - and will drive just about anything. Nelson Pass design, the REAL deal for basic, solid power. GFA - Great F%^king Amp, no doubt. That's exactly why Adcom chose the nomenclature for that series.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited November 2007
    Options
    im interested. i will pm you tomorrow but may i have dibs?:)
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Going to give Adam a couple of days, so for now, it's pending. Thanks, Adam.

~Sean.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    your the man..
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    . . . and received. Packing it up, will go out tomorrow and tracking will follow.
    Thanks Adam!
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    ohhhh im excited..i do have one question since this is my first time dealing with an amp..is the volume still controlled on the processor end? (denon 3803) also if you wanna inform me of some good interconnects..
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Options
    congrats, and yes the volume is controlled by your Denon
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Not to Sid-up the thread :D , but I won't be using fedex. It's twice in a row that they've drop kicked **** to my door, ding, dong, ditch. F-em.

Shipping is via UPS with tracking. Price lowered, I'm thankful FedEx could find the street.

The GFA-555 is a wonderful amp. I've had mine since 1988. Worked flawlessly sans one minor repair to an RCA input. What's up with fedex anyway, they drop kicked a set of LSi9s I bought used last month. Had to send them back to the seller for a refund. How can they make money if they damage so many things by their carelessness.
    [
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    i am especially wary of shipping companies during holiday season. fedex is typically careless with packages but you can imagine what it must be like when they are sorting soooo many more during this time..makes me nervous
  • SKsolutions
    edited November 2007
    Options
    UPS insured should be fine. It's a box within a box and there's some homemade bumpers inside the exterior box which I filled with really old socks .:eek:;)

I'm going to drop it off in the morning. If your looking for IC's, you might want to ask other RTi/Adcom users what they find gives the best tone control. The Adcom will give you all the smooth highs you want, and the RTi has a metal tweet, so you may want a warmer IC.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2007
    Options
    The only cables I used with that amp were a set of Phillips, RCA Acrostic Research, Straight Wire Encore 2's and Kimber Kable PBJ's I have them listed from least to most liked. In my situation the PBJs sounded the best. If you want I have a couple small write ups on the PBJ and Encores just advance search dudeinaroom, and look for treads started by me. You can also search cable, interconnects and wire to get the opinions of others.
  • AdamRagland
    edited November 2007
    Options
    thanks for the info dude