Audio gems...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been in this hobby since 1974, and I've learned a few things along the way:

- If you're listening to the equipment and not the music, you're taking the wrong path.
- If it sounds good to you, then it is good.
- No one can tell you what to buy, we all have personal preferences.
- If you're buying equipment to keep up with the "Jones"---again, you took the wrong path.
- Generally, you get what you pay for--BUT you don't have to pay as much as you think.
- The room is the most important component you own, speakers are second.
- Only change 1 thing at a time, unless you like the smell of your butt.
- This hobby is about appreciation of music, not appreciation of equipment.
- The term "audiophile" is not reserved for the wealthy. It's a love of music, accurately reproduced.
- In audio, dramatic change=subtle change---almost always.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Well said
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Numbers 1 and 2 have me convinced I'm perfectly happy with where I'm at right now. :)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Here, Here.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    You got it! Enjoy Steve!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Very nicely put. I am indeed satisfied with the systems I run. Of course, if something new comes along, then that's part of this great hobby.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2007
    A good creed.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    Yep, be happy with what you have; "better" will come along, eventually .....
    ....unless you're eyeing a pair of SRS 1.2 TL's on ebay ........ :o

Kind of applies in life, too. Could have more, could have less, so enjoy the ride.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited November 2007
    "Only change 1 thing at a time, unless you like the smell of your butt."

FINALLY, someone figured out why all these guys keep switching out their cables!
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited November 2007
    Nicely said Steve
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    Nicely said. (some time I just wish I had more volume).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited November 2007
    Just had a conversation with my neighbor,well to do guy,nice house,accountant.Loves his Bose system.Started bashing people for spending alot of coin on speakers and gear because in his mind the difference isn't worth it.Asked him if he has actually heard any higher end stuff and of coarse the answer was no.Now my wife sits there and agree's with the guy.Blows me away.I say to her....you mean to tell me,you don't think the system downstairs is better than your Bose thing upstairs?She say's....oh yeah,it is,and sounds great...but...not for the money you spent.That ,my friends,says it all right there.Most average people don't care about the quality of the sound they hear and will not invest large sums of money to better it.Now I know why Bose has such a big market share.They realized this early on.Polk has too,as I am sure their market research tells them so.And of coarse,the WAF on those little cubes verse the big boxy things helps them out greatly.Of coarse we all know that large sums of money is not needed to better a Bose system,but trying to convince others of that is proving to be challenging at best.I agree with Steve......and find it hard in my small circle of friends and family to change their minds.Even the ones who are into the jazz and classical music seem to want to spend the least amount possible.Hell,my own brother has the Bose 1-2-3 and thinks it's awesome.Thinks I am nuts....EVEN THOUGH HE LIKES WHAT HE HEARS AT MY HOUSE.I dunno......don't know what the answer is......but can only spend the coin on what makes me happy.Nice post Stevie boy!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2007
    I agree. My 2-channel system sounds WAY better to me than what I started out with for HT and 2-channel. However, to the commoner, they would think they both sounded good and not worth the difference in price above what they started out as.

Told my GF I got a $1500 (retail) CD player. She thought I was nuts. She likes the HT system for music cuz it bumps more. Then again, she thought the sound system in her Audi was nice cuz it had tons of bloated bass.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850