Print Servers?

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
I have 2 printers laser and an inkjet, along with 4 computers all networked together now. 2 computers are desktop style and server as the printer host. Other computers laptops are using these printers via. those host printer computers.

Ok so if I remove printers off the host computers and place them on the net instead in the closet with the other IP stuff DSL modem, wireless hub 4 port, and the Voip phone adapter. Doing it this way if no need to turn on the inkjet host computer other then for printer duty. I would be better off placing it on the net, but I don't know who makes a nice printer server all I seen seem to be so so at best. My neighbor as <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122028">this</A&gt; which is either a piece of cheese or just need consist resetting. I like the increase flexibility on networking the printers but don't wish to add any other problems down the road.

So the question is any good printer servers out there.

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    With all you Computer Greeks out there, I did think some one would have reply.

Demanding ain't I.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited November 2007
    Yes, there are good print servers out there. ;)

Unless you have a consistantly very high network load that slows down print jobs, I wouldn't see the need for a print server (other than a cool factor to boast to others that you do). I have a laser and an inkjet attached to two different computers here at home and I share them across the network (Four Windoze computers, a Linux box running Mandriva, and an HP desktop running Win SBS 2003) with no delays for any print jobs.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2007
    I had this for the past 2.5 years with zero issue:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WPS54GU2-Wireless-G-Print-Server/dp/B0000E658Q

it has both parallel and usb that works simultaneously. I also use it with Linksys 54G with SpeedBooster router. Good combo for me. Wireless printing from any room in the house is the kicker.

Before that, I have a SMC Barricade router, which has a built in print server. With that router, I had to reboot at least once a month.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    I bought the cheapest print server I could find which turned out to be an Airlink printserver with a single USB port which was perfect for my laserjet. The convenience of not having to powerup the host computer is wonderful.

However, the $10 clearance price was offset by having to reboot the printer server now and then but at least it was better than paying top dollar for an HP version. YMMV.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    Linksys wireless print server. Same protection as your wi-fi, and you can sick the printer anywhere. If you do a lot of images, I go hardwire.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    Ok I think the Linksys WPS54G but wished it was wired, but I like the USB and parallel port. As my wife and I now both have laptops the main computer is not used as often and this hosts the inkjet, so this is a problem at times. I would like access to the laserjet as this is on a computer I use for my business so having it on the network would be a win for me.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited November 2007
    i think HP makes a wired jet direct print server..you cant go wrong with hp
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    I been told that netgear was good stuff, but a neighbor of mine uses that http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx print server and had a lot of problems with it. So I found that on Newegg.com also and the user rating sucked for this product. But then again I don't really see anything that had a super rating, where must had someone who didn't like something.

Funny but I'm going to convert him to the computer as the print server, to remove the netgear print server.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• thejck
    edited November 2007
    i use print servers at work...for printers that dont come with built in print servers. i hate supporting those things. they are the worse to keep going for any given period of time without problems.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    thejck wrote: »
    i use print servers at work...for printers that dont come with built in print servers. i hate supporting those things. they are the worse to keep going for any given period of time without problems.

Well ok so this goes back to the feeling of my first post then. :rolleyes:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    the small n at the end of HP printers denotes a "networked" printer. At my office, my color printer is a LaserJet 2600n, and it's been perfect. I maintain the net, and it's not had a problem ever. It does eat ink though.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • thejck
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Well ok so this goes back to the feeling of my first post then. :rolleyes:

if you have a computer thats always on then its worth just plugging it into that and sharing it out. print servers are good only to leave the printer on when you dont want a computer next to it on as well. but you said that you had some kind of server so just plug it in there using usb.

you could also keep a deskjet printer sitting close by to where you keep ure laptops and then plug them in when you need to print.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I use a HP JetDirect 300X print server. Has been working flawlessly for the past 5 years or so.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • thejck
    edited November 2007
    i though that there was an HP print server. I would recommend using that if you can find one. HP knows thier stuff and if you are using an HP printer it would work a lot better
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    Well I will by a HP network card for the laserjet printer and what for the inkjet HP?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    i though that there was an HP print server. I would recommend using that if you can find one. HP knows thier stuff and if you are using an HP printer it would work a lot better

I second using a HP print server with a HP inkjet printer.

Works much better and more reliable, compared to my Netgear. Also the ease of installation is a plus.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    i think HP makes a wired jet direct print server..you cant go wrong with hp

Thanks for the input, I purchased 2 network devices for my printers one a card for a hp laserjet and a hp print server. Both work very nice and cause little or no trouble at all, which worked out even better then I initially thought it could work out.

Thanks again

Steve

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited December 2007
    I've been using an HP Jetdirect 300x for several years. Its been 100% reliable, never a problem. Its a pretty old piece that was surplused by my work's IT dept after they switched to printers with built-in network interfaces. Its only got one parallel port though, so you would need something slightly different. Point is, the HP series is very good, reliable. You might be able to find one used, cheap.

Edit: Duh, I see now that you already found a solution. I guess I should read through the whole thread before replying.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    Funny I purchased a hp Jet Direct 200N from the bay for like $6.00 shipped works fine. I like it as this printer doesn't need a computer on for it to work, a waste as the computer wasn't being used at the time. In the whole network thing the laserjet was an added bonus just nice to have a laser available when you need it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    I should add I didn't move the printers after all as I felt it was best to keep them in the original areas which they where. I did add another IP port in my office any for the printer, so I didn't need to add another hub there also.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    Looks like you did well. I've rolled out a hundred HP Jet directs in my years and never had a problem with one.

If you haven’t noticed, new printers actually have wireless built in. We bought a combo HP about 6 months ago and all I have to do is hook it up to my wireless access point and the thing can go anywhere!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I 2nd bill's post, I 've used the HP JetDirect 300x & 170 at many clients over the years.

The great part now is that so many printers come with ethernet ports that there's so many of these JetDirect's on eBay for really cheap.

Just make sure you get the correct ones, I think the 170 is only Parallel

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=jetdirect+external&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=07306&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Sal

I third Bill's post. My JetDirect 300x has been working flawlessly for more than 5 years.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited December 2007
    What's the difference from the 200n and the 300x 10mb vs 10/100mb?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer