Led Zep Mothership.....remastered????

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,163
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
It seems that Jimmy Page has pulled a rabbit out of the hat again. Sure the new release "Mothership" is redundant since it's simply another greatest hits collection. This time touted as "chosen by the surviving band members". But, it seems Jimmy Page's complete obsession with making things perfect (to the point of obsessive compulsive disorder) the newly remixed songs are a "must have"??? Maybe or maybe not!

You vinyl junkies will love this article (calling Joe)

Here's an interesting article:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article2877291.ece

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,440
    edited November 2007
    I'm getting it.....on CD. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2007
    I was 'this close' to getting it last night, but its not worth it to me just to own the same songs again for the remastered versions.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    I've been fighting the urge to click "proceed to checkout" on the 4 LP vinyl set ($60) cause I want it so bad. I just spent too much moola lately so I have my mouse index finger in a straight jacket!

I've been buying the Classic 200 gm jobies and they have become very, very expensive. What to do??
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    peer pressure... Do it Joe, it'll make you cool like us... peer pressure
  • F1nut
    edited November 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I was 'this close' to getting it last night, but its not worth it to me just to own the same songs again for the remastered versions.

If they sound anywhere near as good as the Zep I LP I heard at Joe's, it's worth every penny.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    If they sound anywhere near as good as the Zep I LP I heard at Joe's, it's worth every penny.

I have sent an email to my contact at Elusive Disc asking the question; is the Mothership as good as the 200 gm Classic pressings? No reply yet but I've been dealing with this guy for quite a while and I trust him so I'll let you know.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2007
    I almost got it last night ...

I`m sure I will before too long.

I don`t think I will get the vinyl version though, as my collection seems to be growing and I don`t have a turntable...!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »
    I almost got it last night ...

I`m sure I will before too long.

I don`t think I will get the vinyl version though, as my collection seems to be growing and I don`t have a turntable...!!

I have found that putting the LP against your face cheek and breathing very deeply will pull the analog wave form through you brains and out your ears, you have to listen hard but there is absoulutely no digital glare. Hey at least it is something until you get a TT Bear.

RT1
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    I have found that putting the LP against your face cheek and breathing very deeply will pull the analog wave form through you brains and out your ears, you have to listen hard but there is absoulutely no digital glare. Hey at least it is something until you get a TT Bear.

RT1

Which whisker did you let grow out and how far did you let it grow?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    edited November 2007
    Ok, just got the CD package today. Save your money, sure it's got more detail, but it's hot and BRIGHT! The packaging is kinda cool, but the discs are a PITA to get out of the unprotected cardboard slots. I expected better, a lot better. Two thumbs down.

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2007
    Listened to a friend's copy over the weekend. She has a decent little system (of course with guidance from yours truly :D) and it sounded really bright and forward. Made me realize I need to replace her SL2000's with the RDO's.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    edited November 2007
    IMO, that isn't going to help with this one, Doug.

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2007
    F1 - I'm sure you're right on that, but the SL2000's weren't doing it any favors!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    edited November 2007
    Ok, tried Disc 1 in my office rig, which is usually a little kinder with bright recordings. Nope, still bright. I can't listen to this crap.

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited November 2007
    I've heard it's got a fair amount of compression.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Sell it to me since I have a kinder, gentler rig.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited November 2007
    I bought the Mothership on CD last week.Bright and Compressed are an accurate description. I have the Boxed set with the crop circles and the recordings on it are much better than Mothership recordings. thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Bummer, I was very close to pulling the trigger on the LP. The heck with that, I think I'm just going to buy all the Classic Records 200 gm releases. So far I have I & II and they are absolutely awesome!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited November 2007
    This is why I'm always leary of "remastered" recordings. It's a shame this is the type of crap they churn out for today's music scene. Ruining classic recordings seems to be the flavor of the day. I'm sure they'll succeed (the record company) in turning newer, younger music fans onto to Led Zep. But it's a damn shame to ruin the original recordings.

They had such character for their time. It's like updating a Picasso or Rembrant, etc. Ruins the period in which it was made and makes it similar to all the other dreck that's out there. Many fo the recordings from the 60-70's are classic because of the character the recording process added to the whole package. Certainly Zep sounds good no matter what but sounds like they've removed a lot of the character of the original recording process.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    This is why I'm always leary of "remastered" recordings. It's a shame this is the type of crap they churn out for today's music scene. Ruining classic recordings seems to be the flavor of the day. I'm sure they'll succeed (the record company) in turning newer, younger music fans onto to Led Zep. But it's a damn shame to ruin the original recordings.

They had such character for their time. It's like updating a Picasso or Rembrant, etc. Ruins the period in which it was made and makes it similar to all the other dreck that's out there. Many fo the recordings from the 60-70's are classic because of the character the recording process added to the whole package. Certainly Zep sounds good no matter what but sounds like they've removed a lot of the character of the original recording process.

H9

They didn't remove the character in the Classic Records 200 gm vinyl series; if anything you get to hear what the recordings really sounded like in the first place. I'm telling you they may now be expensive but they are worth every penny and are by far (atleast the two I own) the absolute best Led Zepplin recordings I've heard to date.
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited November 2007
    Had tossed it in the shoppin' cart T-giving weekend and buyers guilt made me put it back---then I get home and "Uncut Mag" has arrived in the post---sez Page has overseen a really good remaster--blah blah--Mothership=great-- A+selection--blah--4 or 5 stars--and I felt I'd missed out---then you guys saved me again! Uncut does tend to cheer-lead.
    Thx Polksters
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2007
    If its extra bright and compressed then why buy it. Its easy enough to hear that on CD...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D