Component stand is done!

Options
strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited December 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
After one last trip to Home Depot and 15 minutes I finished my component stand tonight, an on again/off again project for the past month and a half. It's patterned after TNT Audio's flexy rack. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF bonded together for each shelf and 5/8" steel rods for the supports. My wife woodgrained them for me to look like rosewood. I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Nice work!! Especially the Mrs. ! I have inspiration now to build a wall unit for for all my **** now.
  • Neskahi
    Neskahi Posts: 297
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That's cool and it looks great. I have thought about the same set up but actually
    suspending it from the ceiling with the allthread. I think I'll show this to you know who
    to get the WAF.
    SDA 2.3/RDO's... xovers by Ben
    SDA 2.3TL/Stock..
    SDA 1C/Solens/RDO's [gave to my Uncle]
    SDA 2B RDO's
    Snell Type CV
    SDA 1.2TL's
    GFA7700 Adcom
    GFP750 Adcom
    TFM55X Carver
    M90 Pioneer/C90 Pre
    M91 x 2 Pioneers/C91 Pre
    Yaqin MC10l
    DCD-1520/1560/2560 Denon
    Marantz DVD-8400
    Carver m1.5T
    DV-79avi Pioneer
    TFM35X x 2
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited November 2007
    Options
    very nice job.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Looks great!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    Options
    How in the holy hell did your wife get MDF to look like that? What is the process to do that? It looks awesome.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That is nice.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • strider
    edited November 2007
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    How in the holy hell did your wife get MDF to look like that? What is the process to do that? It looks awesome.

Shawn

She gets the look through multiple layers of different types of paint and glaze. It's crazy to watch her work, watching the grain build by the layer until it really looks like real wood. I did prime and clear them, though.:p
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Thanks for posting pics of the finished product! I was curious how it would turn out when you said your wife did faux finishes for a living and what she came up with is absolutely amazing. Did you use that 50/50 glue / water mix to seal the mdf?
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    Options
    How cool is that?! Very nice.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Looks great Ben. I have been thinking about doing something like that. I don't think my wife would do the Faux painting though.:D

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Very nice faux work!
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That is very nice work. You and your wife are quiet a team.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
  • strider
    edited November 2007
    Options
    michael_w wrote: »
    Thanks for posting pics of the finished product! I was curious how it would turn out when you said your wife did faux finishes for a living and what she came up with is absolutely amazing. Did you use that 50/50 glue / water mix to seal the mdf?

No problem at all, thanks for the kind words. She really blew me a way with the end result. I gave her a picture of a slab of finished rosewood and damn if she didn't make the shelves look exactly like it. We didn't go the glue/water route for the raw edges. I had rounded a couple of corners with the belt sander and had some other anomolies to take care of on the shelves. To address them, as well as seal the sides I used joint compound. It smoothed everything out pretty well and also covered the seam betweeen the two pieces of MDF.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • strider
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Looks great Ben. I have been thinking about doing something like that. I don't think my wife would do the Faux painting though.:D

Scott

Thanks. The concept's real easy to pull off, especially for someone like yourself who has some skill. I had to take the sheet of MDF to my stepfathers shop to cut it, I wung it from there. I got all the parts from the 'Depot, but I've since found another place where you can get everything cheaper and not have to worry about them having all the washers and hardware in stock. I had to make a few trips to find all the stuff. Don't worry about the finish, I know someone that can take care of it for you!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Nice :) Like the rosewood look.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Outstanding.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Options
    You are hired!
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Wow!! It looks nice! The finish is amazing!!
  • tecmo04
    tecmo04 Posts: 421
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited November 2007
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    Thanks. The concept's real easy to pull off, especially for someone like yourself who has some skill. I had to take the sheet of MDF to my stepfathers shop to cut it, I wung it from there. I got all the parts from the 'Depot, but I've since found another place where you can get everything cheaper and not have to worry about them having all the washers and hardware in stock. I had to make a few trips to find all the stuff. Don't worry about the finish, I know someone that can take care of it for you!

Man, I'm glad I found this thread again! That is one beautiful stand to say the least. After I tear down the entertainment center (that I built 3.5 years ago) in the living room, I'm going to do a double width version of what you did. I'm going to have 2 separate systems in the living room. One for HT which is all in-wall/in-ceiling speakers with a Sunfire sub and then I'll have my 2-channel setup. Well, it may end up being more than one 2-channel systems. :D

Where is the other place you talked about getting the parts for doing the rack? Did you use stainless steel or regular steel? Since I'm not good with the faux finishes like your wife (beautiful job, again), I'm going to do it in a sheet of 3/4" 4X8 wood that's veneered in Oak on the top and bottom. Then, over the rough edges, I'll use Oak veneer to finish it off.

I'm stoked and ready to start tearing the old one down...too bad I'm going out of state for a few days for the holiday. Sigh...
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That has to be the best looking piece of MDF I have ever seen. She could make a mint finishing DIY sub cabinets for people....

congrats...
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • strider
    edited November 2007
    Options
    avguytx- Next time I build one I'm getting my parts from Mcmaster-Carr. They are unbelievably fast shippers; I ordered some aluminum plates for project at work one day at 3:15, had the parts in my hand by 10:30 the next morning. They also have everything under the sun. I bought 5/8" regular steel allthread, neoprene washers and 2" od fender washers from Home Depot. I was kinda limited by the selection at the 'Depot to the 5/8" rod, they didn't have much in the way of hardware to go along with a larger diameter rod. The next one I build I'll use either 3/4" or 1" rods and will use acorn nuts on the bottom of them for footers. On this rack I shaped the bottom of the rods into a point using a bench grinder.

Thanks again everybody for the compliments on the finish. I'm thrilled with it and will definitely be showing my wife this thread!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited November 2007
    Options
    As well you should. She might even let get a $6000 CDP transport after after all the accolades she's gotten. HMMM!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That looks real nice, Gives me a little inspiration to do my own.....
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Fantabulous looking finish!
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Absolutely outstanding work by the both of you!!! My congratulations!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2007
    Options
    We now need a picture with your gear on it.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Next time I build one I'm getting my parts from Mcmaster-Carr.

That's a neat website. Thank you!!
    I bought 5/8" regular steel allthread, neoprene washers and 2" od fender washers from Home Depot. I was kind of limited by the selection at the 'Depot to the 5/8" rod, they didn't have much in the way of hardware to go along with a larger diameter rod.

Is that the stock finish of the rods from homey's depot or did you have a finish put on it?
  • strider
    edited November 2007
    Options
    We now need a picture with your gear on it.

Hopefully, tonight. I figured since I was going to have my rack torn down for a bit, it would be a good time to remove that gas line I asked you about awhile ago. Of course, I couldn't just leave it at that. Last night we put 1 coat of Drylock on the wall, tonight the final coat. If I can stand the fumes after I'm done painting, I'll throw the components on the rack.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco