Bandpass for MM124?

LILDRAGON
LILDRAGON Posts: 47
edited November 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi what are the measurements needed for a bandpass box (MM124) Will this configuration work, its about 1 cu ft in the sealed section and 1.4 cu ft in the ported section (Dimensions 21 3/4" depth X 14 1/4" height X 14 1/4" width). The manufacturer is JDS? Never heard of them though. Please let me know what is good and not, also the music I listen to most is rap and trance. Thanks for any help.
Post edited by LILDRAGON on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited October 2002
    I've never been one for pre-fabbed boxes... they tend to not be made of 3/4 inch mdf, and they also tend to be stapled instead of screwed together -- no silicone on the joints and no vibration damping material between the joints. get what i'm saying?

Kim and the polkies have a design blueprint for an iso-push pull bandpass--- personal pref's aside --- fact is a box designed by the guys who work for the manufacturer will most asuredly "out-sound" and outperform a prefabbed generic one.

i'm sure kim wil reply w/ the iso plans -- if not -- look on other posts, he's posted it before.

... personally -- i'd ask u if you ever considered "ported" boxes... slot ports can sound really nice on a momo and give u better freq response than a BP -- if u dig ported -- like i said, ask the polk guys, i'm sure they can hook u up.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    First of all DO NOT use a Momo in a PORTED enclosure. The end result will more than likely be a non-functioning driver.

A general rule of thumb for Polk auto subs is bandpass or sealed, 1cu ft total space. I'll have to check my resources, but I believe the ideal bandpass enclosure (per Polk) is .6cu ft BEHIND the driver, .4cu ft in FRONT. (I may have those reversed, but it should be printed in your Momo manual/insert).

Justin? Kim?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2002
    I like the box design but I plan on 2 MM124 12", how would the box design differ for 2 12's instead of a single box design.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2002
    ok the doc you attached on the one pic that shows the2 woofers, it looks like you have the woofers directly facing each other. is this correct or is this just a side veiw that doesn't show the woofers off set from each other. My first step is to get my 12's but when time comes I want to be able to take these plans to someone and say build it for me.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    Scary thought that a sub would be NON-functional in a ported/vented enclosure...that BP and sealed are only options... Very scary indeed!!!!:eek:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by TrappedUnder Ice
    Scary thought that a sub would be NON-functional in a ported/vented enclosure...that BP and sealed are only options... Very scary indeed!!!!:eek:

Hmm... I think my dear thomas (talking like sherlock holmes to watson) that we've come upon a revelation... if sealed and BP are the only options for a woofer due to an extreme need for overregulation of cone displacement, then would this not indicate my dear thomas that the woofer had an inadequate suspension and possibly a voice coil not adequate for "supremem thump-age"...

Imma go smoke a pipe and put on some ridiculous scotland yard-esque hat... just call me "constable vinnie" --- har de har har.

i'm anti-ports... but the fact that you can port an mtx 6000 but not a momo makes a guy wonder about the cosmos, the existance of god, and my take on the theories of the universe. ... no i'm not high.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited November 2002
    that has got to be one of the most well thought out (and correct) answers i've ever heard to such a question/ comment...
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2002
    So kim..your telling me that the momo has better excursion than a DD 9512?
    just curious?