spent 2 days replacing a faucet!

Pablo
Pablo Posts: 723
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
What a pain in the ****! I just replaced the kids bathroom faucet and nothing went right. The hot water handle finaly went, so the old faucet had to go, but not one bolt came off smoothly. For a job that should have taken a half an hour, it seemed to have never ended. After just a couple of bangs with a hammer, the cold water handle came off. But the hot water, that's a different story. After a hitting it with a hammer, heating it with the tourch, detaching every other part on it breaking out the dremel and using every nut grabbing iimplement at my disposal I finially was able to yank damn thing out. (it's a 3 piece faucet, in what i'm guessing a custom marble top with a porcylin basin so I was also trying to be careful as well). That's when I noticed a date on the vanity - 5/29/69! Then of course I had to remove the drain. Once again, nothing would come apart. This time I went straight to the dremel. But of course that made me go to the store to get a new p-trap. Of course old never matches new, so I had to be able to go 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Once I get everthing installed, the bar for the drain (the part to open close the drain) was not long enough, so I had to use the old one. But since the thing was probably 40 years old, it wasn't the smoothest of things, so if I tighten it to much it doesn't work, to loose and it leaks. Then the hot water started to leak at the shut off valve. So a little tighter and a little more teflon tape, and, the damn nut breaks on the end of the supply line! Luckly the shut off valve was still good (I really had no desire to sweat on new ones). So now I had to put on a new supply line (should have to begin with, but the wife didn't get them with the new faucet). So I think I am done.

Granted I really didn't spend 2 whole days on it, but after trying to get rid of all the leaks it's a good 2 days. Still not positive it's not fully sealed, but I think it's good (I'll give it a couple of hours to see if I still have any leaks).
Denon AVR-3803
RTi-70 Fronts
FXi-30 Surrounds
RTi-38 Back Surrounds
Csi-40 Center
PSW350 Sub
Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
Denon DVD-2910
Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
Post edited by Pablo on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Hee hee, that's the one household chore that I've become a pro at. If the plumbing was installed at the same time the vaity was, I'll bet it was a ****. I had an older house where the plumber WELDED the water supply to the faucet. Who the hell welds that connection? Expecially after a pressure fitting! (Technically, he welded the pressure fitting and nut to both pipes)

Glad you got it done with no permanent damage.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited November 2007
    Replacing old plumbing is a nightmare. I used to do it but would rather pay the money now. To many skinned knuckles, never the right tool and no space to work in with out hitting your head.

If I do plumbing now I replace every thing.

You were lucky, only 2 days and it works now.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    I feel ya....bought my house new 14 years ago and the 2 bathroom faucets started leaking last year...replaced them both...exactly as you described...not one joint wanted to budge...not even the water feed valves wanted to close.

With the amount of cussing , the neighbors must have thought I was watching a recorded football game during the middle of the week :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Pablo
    edited November 2007
    Believe it or not I just went under the sink and found a little bit of water under the sink. I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. It's a real pain because all the crap from under the sink is still in the bathroom on the floor. I think I'm going to dry the crap out of it and wrap everything in tollet paper. Hopefully I can find it that way.

Being able to close the shut off valves was a concern. Luckly they are the old type with metal handles (the new ones have plastic handles and they really suck. i broke one off a year after i installed it).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Mine are grey plastic....I was terrified of twisting harder and just snapping it in two.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    We have an 85 year old house. If I have to fix anything. The whole thing gets ripped apart and I start from scratch. It's the only way I don't go crazy trying to rig new to old.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Pablo
    edited November 2007
    I think I found my last leak. I looks like the drain hole in the sink is a little larger than normal, so the drain sits a little to deep (the old one was just a bit bigger). I think I have to add a ton of plumbers putty to seal it well. The new drain down pipe is that gray plastic and I am also worried to strip it or break it if I tighten it any more. If that doesn't work I may have to find an O ring big enough to fit under the drain.

But this will have to wait until tomorrow. The kids will have to wait with crap on the bathroom floor for one more day.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2007
    Pablo wrote: »
    But this will have to wait until tomorrow. The kids will have to wait with crap on the bathroom floor for one more day.

I totally read this as the kids will have to crap on the bathroom floor for one more day.

I think I need more sleep.

I feel your pain, after having just gutted and rebuilt my bathroom, as well as running new drains to my kitchen sink and washer. I also replaced all the copper feeds with pex.

Now I just need to get my kitchen faucet replaced. I have the new one, just haven't had the nerve to open the box and stare at the pieces.

Maybe Sunday... I actually have a day off!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    I have a buddy that happens to be a plumber. He works in my house for Skoal.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    I totally read this as the kids will have to crap on the bathroom floor for one more day.

I think I need more sleep.
    Dont feel too bad I thought it read. The kids will have to walk through crap on the bathroom floor for one more day.:eek::D:eek:

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Pablo
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I forgot to mention that there was also a hole in the back of the tolet I never fixed!

(Kidding) I didn't realize what I said until the second post about the crap on the floor. But I do think I have all the leaks fixed (except the small drip that was comming from the shut off valve. I'm hoping the slight twist I gave it will stop that leak). Now, if nobody ever touches anything in there, it should be perfect!
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910