Hearing loss for sure

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
I just got back from the Chris Cornell show in Columbus where I was about 15 feet from the stage for 3 hours straight. My ears have never rang so bad in my life. I pray I didn't suffer too much hearing loss!

Anyone else have some unreal hearing loss after a show?
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    I just got back from the Chris Cornell show in Columbus where I was about 15 feet from the stage for 3 hours straight. My ears have never rang so bad in my life. I pray I didn't suffer too much hearing loss!

Anyone else have some unreal hearing loss after a show?

Yep the worst I ever had was at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA attending a David Bowie concert. I was in the balcony and it was so loud I was in pain during the concert. I had tinitus for almost two weeks. I know that did some damage.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    When I saw Ratt and Poison, my ears rang for 3 days. :(
  • Mazeroth
    edited November 2007
    Yep the worst I ever had was at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA attending a David Bowie concert. I was in the balcony and it was so loud I was in pain during the concert. I had tinitus for almost two weeks. I know that did some damage.

And that's the story of hearingimpared... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Mazeroth wrote: »
    And that's the story of hearingimpared... :D

That and the three concerts a week I went to in the 70s for anywhere from a dollar and quarter to two fifty a pop. That was when the opening act played for a good two hours and the main attraction played till they almost dropped.;)
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    My ears ring all the time.....Occupational hazard of not having hearing protection available around helicopters for 18 months overseas....I can only imagine George's ears...That is a lot of time around aircraft, and the headsets only do so much.....
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    That and the three concerts a week I went to in the 70s for anywhere from a dollar and quarter to two fifty a pop. That was when the opening act played for a good two hours and the main attraction played till they almost dropped.;)

Old ****. I wasn't even born till 1970:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    I was born in 82.....Old ****!:D:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    No arguement here! Bill you are a year older than my older son.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    I'd been working for my current employer for 4 yrs in 82, ya young punk. :eek:

The worst my ears have been after a concert was an AC/DC show in 2001. There is a stage past ringing when it just sounds like the ocean. I don't think I'll go to an indoor show again because of that.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    I was born in 82.....Old ****!:D:D

I don't feel too old till I am looking at young hotties, and realizing that I am old enough to be their Dad:eek::o:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    I'd been working for my current employer for 4 yrs in 82, ya young punk. :eek:

The worst my ears have been after a concert was an AC/DC show in 2001. There is a stage past ringing when it just sounds like the ocean. I don't think I'll go to an indoor show again because of that.

I've been there a few times, only it was aircraft outdoors....Those **** get loud at 100% power...
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I don't feel too old till I am looking at young hotties, and realizing that I am old enough to be their Dad:eek::o:(

Ouch, I refuse to date women under 20....too much bs.....I should kick it to 22, because every 20 y/o I go out with, I think to myself "Man, she is 2 years younger than my sister...." hahahaha:D

You know what though? At least you wouldn't have to ask who their daddy is.....:eek::D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    My ears rang for only a day after seeing the Deftones(ironic huh?) at the Roseland earlier this year. That didn't bother me so much compared to having to listen to all the distortion. Other than that, it was a great show, especially kicking **** in the mosh pit. :D

Bill, as for showing our ages, I was born in 76. So you aren't that much younger than all of us. :p
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    My ears rang for only a day after seeing the Deftones(ironic huh?) at the Roseland earlier this year. That didn't bother me so much compared to having to listen to all the distortion. Other than that, it was a great show, especially kicking **** in the mosh pit. :D

Bill, as for showing our ages, I was born in 76. So you aren't that much younger than all of us. :p

I know, I just like to talk smack.:D
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »

Come on man now I'm really feeling old, I graduated high school in 73!

Hey you young punks; UP YOUR NOSE WIT A RUBBA HOSE!!!
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited November 2007
    Up your butt with an old ****!!! Wow, that bottle of wine is kicking my ****...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited November 2007
    Heh. Ears were ringin' pretty good on Sunday even with hearing protection! Standing on the line at Atco Raceway lining up the cars for burnouts and staging...yeah, rock concerts are loud but they rarely shake the ground like that! The noise is so loud it vibrates your eyeballs. But man, what a rush!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Heh. Ears were ringin' pretty good on Sunday even with hearing protection! Standing on the line at Atco Raceway lining up the cars for burnouts and staging...yeah, rock concerts are loud but they rarely shake the ground like that! The noise is so loud it vibrates your eyeballs. But man, what a rush!

Way back when, I threw up from the vibration and smell of fuel and burning rubber there once. Of course I had consumed a couple of sixers and a bottle of scotch.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    dude, wear ear plugs. you only get one set of ears for hearing.

that would be like breaking glass bottles for three hours and not wearing eye protection.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    That is a scary analogy but very true. Whenever I get some funny feeling in my good ear I shite a brick!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2007
    How was the show?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Mazeroth
    edited November 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    How was the show?

Probably the best show I've ever been to. I was about 20 feet from the stage in a very small venue of about 1000 people. Cornell's voice is as good as it was 20 years ago. They played for over 3 hours and his voice didn't let up once. It's amazing to watch and hear him as it's pretty much effortless yet he's probably the greatest singer of my generation (I'm 27).
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    dude, wear ear plugs. you only get one set of ears for hearing.

that would be like breaking glass bottles for three hours and not wearing eye protection.

At a loud concert after a few minutes I would go to the bath room and wad up some toilet paper with spit and put it in my ears.

It was still very loud.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2007
    I always wear ear plugs at those kinda things. I guess it kinda defeats the purpose but it saves my ears.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    Around running aircraft.....which I'm around alot, we are required to wear double hearing protections. Ear plugs and the mickey mouse ears. I've been doing this for 15 years and my hearing is as good as it was 15 years ago.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Around running aircraft.....which I'm around alot, we are required to wear double hearing protections. Ear plugs and the mickey mouse ears. I've been doing this for 15 years and my hearing is as good as it was 15 years ago.

BDT
    I do the same thing at the range, especially indoors or with big bore stuff.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2007
    My limited exposure to loud sounds was back in the car stereo days. I would listen really loud for a very short time (minutes) then turn it back down. I'm SO glad I did not abuse the power I had. Every day I think back to how close hearing loss was to my fingertips.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    My limited exposure to loud sounds was back in the car stereo days.
    madmax

Another rich kid, with your car stero.

I would get my PF Flyer really rolling and sing to myself, it hurt my ears, once I added some air guitar, lost control, crashing into a metal light pole and hit my head, which I suppose explains many things.

Still, I envied the rich kids with their car stereo's blasting the Cowsill's singing Indian Lake. I once took my Little One to the lake and pulled it out, I was promptly arrested and had to explain to my parents how I was just looking to find a warm Place in the Summer Sun.

They took my bike away, the Flyer just rusted all summer, I had to walk everywhere, I still sang to myself, which still hurt my ears, which I suppose explains the rest of many things.......but I do now wear my hearing protection.

RT1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    I had an ear plug fall out when firing M60 machine gun in the Army. My left ear was crackling and distorted for a couple weeks--but finally healed. I'm sure I suffered some permanent damage.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2