Damping the Door?

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I got my car stereo installed -- Polk speakers in the front, Alpines in the rear, and a Pioneer head unit. The front speakers sound kinda hollow and bright. Would I benefit by damping the door with polyfill or some other type of acoustic insulation?

Right now I'm just using this product:
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    Youre always going to benefit from deadening the door. The deflex pads are kind of worthless IMO. I'm not sure its going to help with what youre wanting to accomplish though. You'll get a better midbass and midrange response, which might be the 'hollow' sound you have, but I dont think it'll cure the 'brightness'

I suggest www.secondskinaudio.com or www.raamaudio.com

Both offer excellent solutions with customer service every bit as good as Polk's.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited November 2007
    Properly deadening the doors will make a substantial difference in the sound the mids reproduce. The hollow sound is exactly how I described the sound of my OEM speakers before I used Damplifier from SecondSkin on my doors. The very first thing I did to my car was to put deadener on. I was short on time so I did one door at a time. This turned out to be good as I could easily compare the difference in sound between the treated door and the regular door. The speaker on the door that was treated had a fuller and punchier sound to it vs the hollow type sound of sound that the other speaker produced.

I used a good amount of Damplifier on both skins of my door as well Rattlepad on top of the Damplifier (between the door and the door panel). I highly recommend this combination. I would not use polyfill in the doors as it would get wet.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2007
    OK, thanks. Just ordered some Damplifier from SecondSkin. Hopefully, this will work.

I also ordered another pair of speakers for the front -- Alpine 6.5" which will replace the Polk DB525 5.25". So now I'll have matching speakers in the front & rear and a little more bass output in the front.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2007
    Sometimes brightness can be helped by wiring the tweeters out of phase with the bass, depending upon where they are located.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D