Polk Audio = Harley Davidson?

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
You ever notice how the Polk forum is like Harley riders? Extremely dedicated/loyal people, who don't take any ****. Nothin' "pretty boy" or ultra-high end, but good respectable blue-collar audio? That's a cool image in my book---the "workin mans" speaker, you know...

I like this forum.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    hmmmm....Harley's the working man bikes....did they reduce price to half???

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2007
    That's only the HD image, not the reality...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Also, last I heard, Polk speakers still worked after 10-15 years...
    ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2007
    True, I've owned a few Polk speakers--never saw any parts laying on the floor behind them. Good point.

Kidding, kidding my Harley brethren. I'm steppin all over the Biker's Creed. I suck. Harley's are great, albeit pricey bikes.
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited November 2007
    Well put, I hope they don't leak oil though! :)
    [
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Well, monitors are kinda the blue collar speaker and Lsi are kinda the white collar ehh?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    Except on a Harley forum, they ride ONLY Harleys. Hardly anyone here seems to use only Polk.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2007
    Quite the opposite. Polk speakers deliver high value for the dollar while not having a prestige associated with them (meaning you're not paying for the brand). HD's are the opposite.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Aww, everyone beat me to the Harley-bashing party. Dangit. :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2007
    In my bike days we did have a few Harley owners in the group I used to ride with (SCRC #88); great guys, and we laughed making jokes on Harley's reliability and the rest of us being ricers, etc. The way I see it, harley owners are divided in:

Normal people that like riding: 20%
    Hardcore: 30%
    Posers: 50%

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • chillywilly
    chillywilly Posts: 167
    edited November 2007
    true a lot of harley riders are posers. The hardcore riders don't mind haveing to put in the hours and hours of matienance to keep them purring. as for normal people in my opinion most of them ride goldwings.
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2007
    Well I like to think of use as BMW's they NEVER stop running my 1983 r100rs has ove 98k on it still going strong.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    You guys are talking about the old Harley's. The quality has been coming up since the mid 90's. From 2000 and up the quality is just as good as any other bike. As far as being like Polk speakers, Harley's are among the most expensive of the mass produced bikes. Polk is a bargin compared to most speakers of the same quality.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    Ya, I like Polks because the ones I have oenwed (and still have 12 years later) hve been like Honda. Great bang for the buck and reliable as hell 12 years later.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    You guys are talking about the old Harley's. The quality has been coming up since the mid 90's. From 2000 and up the quality is just as good as any other bike. As far as being like Polk speakers, Harley's are among the most expensive of the mass produced bikes. Polk is a bargin compared to most speakers of the same quality.

They're stuck in the 80s and most talk **** because they don't own one. ;)
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    My father hasn't had to have any non-scheduled maintenance performed on any of his Hogs. People keep bringing up the "AMF" rubbish. Hell, the engine in the V-ROD was designed in conjunction with Porsche.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    Harley Davidson's are built by the UAW in York, PA. Polk Speakers are built in China.
    They aren't even close to being the same.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2007
    AMF was long ago, thank God. AMF has had nothing to do with HD's in a long, long time.
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    AMF was long ago, thank God. AMF has had nothing to do with HD's in a long, long time.

I know that, but that is where most all the negativity evolves from. Come on, a rubber ball/tennis racket manufacturer trying to design a motorcycle.:p
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2007
    You knuckleheads (pun for you HD guys) are missing the point of the thread. I SAID (to summarize) the Polk fellowship reminds me of the HD fellowship.

Pay attention, oh generation of ADHD children. sheesh.
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    I understand the point of the thread. I wasn't the one that started trashing an American Icon. I completely agree with your sentiments as far as the mentality of the two groups.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You knuckleheads (pun for you HD guys) are missing the point of the thread. I SAID (to summarize) the Polk fellowship reminds me of the HD fellowship.
    I think the Polk owners don't look at owners of other speakers as second class citizens... ;)

Speaking of the V-Rod, I almost got one of the NightRod's when they came out. Seeing what the deal is with my friends Screaming Eagle, I am glad I didn't. Nothing but trouble, looks great but is a nightmare to drive in highway speeds, quality is subpar. Best was the factory replacement part that iwe ordered for his bike, well, didn't fit and when we sent it back HD said it was the right part and right size. Guess what, the second they sent didn't fit either and their service couldn't get it it so it wasn't us at fault.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Harley Davidson's are built by the UAW in York, PA. Polk Speakers are built in China.
    They aren't even close to being the same.

Have you ever made a post that doesn't bring up your stupid union?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    Lol...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Have you ever made a post that doesn't bring up your stupid union?

Come on Bob, he was just pointing out that one product is a great bang for the buck product and the other is made by people thinking that $30/hr isn't enough to push a botton 2,000 times a day making it an overpriced albatross driving the companies profitability into the crapper, that's all he was saying. ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • keith allen
    keith allen Posts: 734
    edited November 2007
    Buy a Harley,add water,instant ****......I think your right!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited November 2007
    Buy a Harley,add water,instant ****......I think your right!

I think it is oil, lots and lots of oil.....Not water. :D
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    This site is tops for audio.......but you guys know s**t about bikes. :rolleyes:
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    This site is tops for audio.......but you guys know s**t about bikes. :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    Hey --

I have never associated my speakers with needing a cell phone and a trailor --

So not totally seeing the comparison here! ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.