SR 124DVC Sealed Size?

dirthog
dirthog Posts: 124
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
What do you recommend for enclosure size?

Right now I have it in a 1.02sqft box.
HU: 880PRS
Front: SR6500
Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
Sub: SR124-DVC
Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
Post edited by dirthog on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    That would be the manufacturer's minimum recommended enclosure size. If you've got too punchy a frequency response and you want the sub to play lower, you could go as large as 1.5 cubic feet sealed...I have mine in 1.20.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    1.25 is supposed to be ideal. 1.02 wont hurt anything much. At worst itll put a response hump in the 40-45'ish Hz range. You may even like that better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2007
    It's easier to experiment simulating a smaller enclosure with one that's above the minimum than the other way around (without breaking out the MDF and the table saw) ;).

Set your system up and critique what you like/don't like after some listening time. It'll be easier to make suggestions to improve things after you've got back to us regarding what you're trying to achieve. There are pros and cons for both larger and smallish enclosures- mostly a matter of tailoring your sub's response characteristics to your system design goals/expectations, or more importantly- knowing what effect changing the enclosure will have on performance.
  • JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited November 2007
    What would you recommend for a Polk SR 12" sub for heavy metal music?
  • dirthog
    edited November 2007
    I listen to a wide range of music, pretty much everything. Bass on rap is just not deep enough and is even a little too punchy for heavy metal.

I think I'm going to make a box at 1.3 and I can always make it smaller by adding a chunk of wood on the inside.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2007
    on spec or a smidge tighter is my philosophy -- unless you take the Thiele parameters and actually plot the response curve with simulation software... in which case... a natural bump between 40 and 60 of 2 or 3 db is always nice.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • dirthog
    edited November 2007
    Much happier with 1.3. I had some extra open cell egg shell foam and put in on the back and corners. Don't know how much that will make a diff but if figured who cares I go it sittin around. Prob make the sub think the box is bigger?
  • GelatinousFury
    GelatinousFury Posts: 82
    edited November 2007
    For metal I would definitely build the box on the smaller side of the recommended volume. When those super fast double bass drums come into play it's all about the quick, punchy bass.

Did you think the bass was too punchy in the 1.02 box? Just wondering because I mainly listen to metal and I am about to install a SR104 in my car.
  • dirthog
    edited November 2007
    For metal I would definitely build the box on the smaller side of the recommended volume. When those super fast double bass drums come into play it's all about the quick, punchy bass.

Did you think the bass was too punchy in the 1.02 box? Just wondering because I mainly listen to metal and I am about to install a SR104 in my car.

Yes. With the 1.02 box it was too punchy and the low end was not there at all. Also I was having a hard time finding a good crossover point.

With the new 1.3 the paunchiness has settled quit a bit. It might be lacking just a little, but I will leave it for now. I still need to finish deadening and sealing my doors. Which I hope will improve the lacking paunchiness and midbass. Over all I felt it was a great improvement.

Since you are more into metal I would go with something around 1.2. If you want more punch you can always add a chunk 2x4 to decrease the volume.
    After this week I might try this to make the box 1.2. I'll let you know if I do.
  • GelatinousFury
    GelatinousFury Posts: 82
    edited November 2007
    dirthog wrote: »
    Yes. With the 1.02 box it was too punchy and the low end was not there at all. Also I was having a hard time finding a good crossover point.

With the new 1.3 the paunchiness has settled quit a bit. It might be lacking just a little, but I will leave it for now. I still need to finish deadening and sealing my doors. Which I hope will improve the lacking paunchiness and midbass. Over all I felt it was a great improvement.

Since you are more into metal I would go with something around 1.2. If you want more punch you can always add a chunk 2x4 to decrease the volume.
    After this week I might try this to make the box 1.2. I'll let you know if I do.

I've already ordered my box but I matched it to this reviewer's optimal recommendation (page 2, 2nd paragraph) of 0.811ft^3, which is pretty close to Polk's recommended enclosure size. The exact volume of the box I ordered is 0.8ft^3 so I hope it will suffice, as I like my bass more on the punchy side.
  • dirthog
    edited November 2007
    I didnt notice you were asking about the 10".