Welp. the decision is frinal...

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
...gonna get back into competition!

WOOHOO!

Gonna see what I can't do with the Ranger. Got a guy with a used 2.5L 4 cylinder, gonna rebuild it and turbocharge it. Put in the the Ranger with a 6 speed manual and the 9-inch rear. Disc brakes all around. Air bag suspension and complete custom interior.

Found a local shop that is a Soundstream dealer and said he can get me the new Reference series. He said if I was interested and I could get a timeframe of when I'd be ready to jump back in to it, he'd be willing to throw some sponsorship my way. He wants me to run JL Audio but I told him no, I wanted SR stuff from Polk.

So I think I'm gonna go with a Soundstream REF600.2 and a Soundstream REF850.2 with a set of SR6500's and a pair of 10 inch SR subs. I got my old Kenwood KRC-PS955 fixed. I used to win with that head unit so I figured I'd use what worked before. See what I can do with the whole shebang. Should get some more exposure for my buddy's shop too.

A turbocharged 2.5L 4 cylinder, should be able to get 400-450 horses out of it on pump gas and get it into the 10's. A show truck running a 10.90 index would be awesome!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited November 2007
    haha nice. good luck.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    Why would you want run 400+ hp on bags? Isn't that bad combo? I thought the general rule was that bags and speed don't mix, no? Why not just set the suspension up right (matched to the truck's performance) and not worry about laying frame when you park?

Sounds like a cool project - I like the look of your Ranger already, I love the hard lines and simplicity of the body.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Isn't that bad combo? I thought the general rule was that bags and speed don't mix, no?

VERY bad combination......I had bags in my car and despite my car not making it down the track before the cars after me....i still couldnt imagine doing 100+ mph on bags.....crazy.

They ride great but they are definately not for racing.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2007
    Air bags are no different than springs. On a 5-link rear suspension, bags will behave the same as springs and are much more adjustable. On the front, the Rangers use twin i-beam suspension which essentially puts the weight directly over the axle.

If I had a small car and was just replacing struts with airbags, then it would be an issue. But set up properly, airbags can perform just as well as conventional springs. Besides, you use your shocks to control the bound and rebound reactions of the suspension. The springs or airbags are meant only to support the weight of the vehicle and wheel travel.

As for why I would want to run 400+ horses on 'bags, because I can, that's why. I know everyone thinks I'm a blowhard and a know-it-all and that's fine, I don't care about that. Contrary to popular belief, I do know what I am doing and getting in to also. If I felt it was unsafe, I would not try to do it.

As for fast and airbags not mixing, take a look at what Air Ride Technologies is doing with air bags.

http://www.airride.com/

Of special interests would be the company projects.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Sweet! That's gonna be one awesome ride! Good luck with it!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited November 2007
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Awesome dude! Bring it! We can be Team Polk.

Not sure the Ranger is the best choice for SQ tho brother. Its awful small in those cabins and its going to be hard to get really good imaging.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D