May I make a suggestion...?

beardog03
beardog03 Posts: 5,550
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
There has been alot of negative posting and flat out arguing as of late.
There seems to be a whole new crowd of folks interested in joining in, here at Polk`s Forum.
I see this place as my home of sorts, and I know alot of you feel the same...

May I suggest to all new members, and those thinking of joining our little audio "community" ?

There are rules of engagement, and simple common sense ways of conducting ones self here on the forum, on the internet, and in life in general.

Instead of just posting to make your post count go up, as to enjoy some of the privilages that many of enjoy, such as veiwing something , or selling / buying something, making it say some sort of "stature" under ones name such as master, or Guru etc. ,....Why not just start a thread introducing ones self, ie; where your from, what type of gear you have or like, etc.

Just like in real life...you don`t just walk up to strangers and jump into a conversation and start talking and giving your opinion on something...or be rude to someone, then flag down a cop because it doesn`t go your way, or you don`t like what / how something was said to you...do you?

You would be suprised how fast your post count will go up without even noticing...
Because it`s not your "goal"....it just happens...
you`ve become part of the forum and can enjoy the benefits of being a member right away, because you are participating...

Show respect to others and you will get it in return..
It`s okay to agree to disagree....if we all agreed on everything there would be nothing to discuss....it would be rather boring.

be respectful of others
If you have a problem, or a disagreement, pm the person and try to calmly work things out, or agree to disagree....privately

Don`t run and tell on somebody....be an adult and try to handle it as an adult
Use the ignore button if someone rubbs you the wrong way.

If , in the end, you cannot work things out and you feel things are or may get out of hand, then by all means, contact a moderator....

Justin is a stand up guy......
He`s a fair guy...

But he`s not your daddy, the principle, or a cop........unless you do something he asks you not to do......then , well...

He don`t play....

He has other things to do besides babysit, and we AS ADULTS SHOULD NOT NEED ONE

Mark (Doro), and Russ (Russman) keep an eye on the school yard (as per Matt Polk), and remind us to play nice, and have alot of knowledge, as do many of our members here.
Polk Audio is very much a part of our lives, and Polk Audio is very much a part of this forum.
They support us, and we support them....
Let`s show Matt and Ken, and everybody at Polk Audio some respect , as well as ourselves and each other, while we play in their yard.
(no peeing in the bushes)

So step up...
Introduce yourself..
Tell us something about yourself
Ask questions
Help out with questions if you are able....

Let`s all continue to make this a place where we all enjoy hanging out and spending our time ....

We have had a bunch of negative crap going on for far too long....I know we all agree on that, and I know what I am saying has been said by many people before me.......

But I thought I would try to help the new folks who have just joined, or are thinking of joining, get started on the right foot.......or left...as the case may be !

This is our Hobby...we do it because we enjoy it

So let`s have some fun and enjoy our time here..

Please ....no response is necessary...

I just felt that maybe the newbies (and some oldies) could use some guidance on how to join in on the FUN

Just my .02

Carry on Gents...and Ladies (yes there are a few)!!

[ just so you know, not that you care... I was picking my nose while I was typing this ]:eek:
Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
Parasound HCA-3500
Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
Jolida JD-100 CDP
Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
SVS PC-Ultra Sub
AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
PS Audio Plus Power Cords
Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
Post edited by beardog03 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I would like to kick your ****. Meet me on the East Coast, 5pm sharp and let's conduct a test of strength.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    Did you just write all that to raise your post count by 1?

Cause I just did it in 20ish short words....

(kidding, nice post)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    Things are the same as they've always been, just more hands in the sandbox.
  • beardog03
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I would like to kick your ****. Meet me on the East Coast, 5pm sharp and let's conduct a test of strength.

Aww PooNuggets !

I`m telling......:rolleyes:

Hi my name is bear...and I`m an addict
    I`ve been an audio addict for many yeers now, and I`m gonna get beet up`d by my pimp !

I gotta go catch a plane now....
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
    I read this naked and was also picking my nose.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    Good advice (not Joe's picking his nose ;)) and it might be a good idea to remember that there is usually an influx of new folks after the holiday season because a lot of folks buy audio gear at that time and, of course, that
    WILL

probably include Polk speakers.

Especially if they're smart. And good looking. And like cats.

.....okay, maybe not the "cats" part, but it has been proven in a double-blind A/B study (at MIT) that the vast majority of people who select "Polk" when purchasing speakers are both smart and good looking.

and like cats

So, that's something to think about.

Right now, I'm thinking about HI picking his nose with no clothes on. And ....
    ... somehow ..... I'm ............ slightly ..... percolated with that mental image !

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited November 2007
    Well said Bear.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    I read this naked and was also picking my nose.

You sent me a Pm while naked:confused::eek::eek: I feel violated and offended. I'm calling Mr. Polk right now!! 'cause I know him! And I've got over 200 posts that mean nothing!! EEEWWW Gross!!! That's an image that bleach won't wash off!! :D:):D:)
    Anybody feel sorry for me?.....

I didn't think so.

I'm cookin' bacon and eggs on my RTA 8t's for my patented tweak.
    Mornin' Y'all:)
    Russ
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I'm calling Mr. Polk right now!! 'cause I know him! And I've got over 200 posts that mean nothing!!

For those who dont know:

At 200 posts, you get Matt Polks desk phone number.
    At 2,000 you get his home number.
    At 5,000 you get his cell number.
    At 10,000 posts he will come pick you up for school in his porsche.

It really is a company where personal interaction with its customers is a high priority and it does start at the top.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    "On my honour
    I promise that I will do my best
    To do my duty to Polk and it's Members
    To help other people at all times,
    And to carry out the spirit of the Polk Audio Law." :)
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    For those who dont know:

It really is a company where personal interaction with its customers is a high priority and it does start at the top.

No wonder audiobliss zerged himself to 10,000 posts.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited November 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    "On my honour
    I promise that I will do my best
    To do my duty to Polk and it's Members
    To help other people at all times,
    And to carry out the spirit of the Polk Audio Law." :)

Polk Scout salute held high!

That is priceless!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited November 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »

I'm cookin' bacon and eggs on my RTA 8t's for my patented tweak.

I just made some bacon and eggs.....Mmmmmmmm
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    beardog03 wrote: »

There are rules of engagement, and simple common sense ways of conducting ones self here on the forum, on the internet, and in life in general.

I read this naked

It was a relief to hear that this practice did not violate the rules of engagement. :D

Good read Bear......
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    McLoki wrote: »
    For those who dont know:

McLoki, reading your post made me realize something; you know what Polk needs to offer: swag schtuff featuring Matt Polk ...... excuse me .... MR. Polk in a white lab coat !

Back in the 60's, Planters Peanuts offered all kind of schtuff featuring Mr. Peanut:

Mr. Peanut Mechanical Pencil

mr peanut pencil.jpg

Mr. Peanut Paint Book

mr peanut paint book.jpg

Mr. Peanut Divided Nut Tray (for those needing their nuts divided)

Mr. Peanut Advertising Divided Nut Tray.jpg

Okay, stay with me now. In place of Mr. Peanut, you put Matt Polk ... excuse
    me...... MR. Polk. In a white lab coat.

No fooling, you make a Mr. Polk Mechanical Pencil, and you could sell that thing for $15 ! Not to mention free advertising.
    No telling how much a Mr. Polk Divided Nut Tray could sell for, although I suspect some of you guys ..... uh ..... well ...... I won't go into that.

Yep, I think I'm really onto something here !

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    How about sex toys?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    Very good post Bear. But by the same token we also have to remember how we would like to be treated in this environment.

Some go out of their way to be overly aggressive, belligerent, condesending & rude. This is also wrong.

Nobody should put up with kind of attitude to prove that they are strong enough to be included in this forum.

This is not some kind of sorority house, and hazing of newbies should not be tolerated. It makes the people engaging in this behavior look bad & makes us as a whole look bad in general for allowing it or participating in it.

Instead of a gang jump on a newbie who is trying to up his count, how about politely suggesting that they participate meaningfully to get their count up. If they become belligerant, just ignore them. They will either get the hint & do so or go away.

Polk management obviously feels the same, otherwise the post by Al Ballard would not have been posted.

Tolerance, patience, & respect all go BOTH ways.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited November 2007
    IMHO, The best way to up the post count is the "What Are You Listening To?" thread.
    Hands down, without a doubt, the best thread in CP.
    newb or not, everybody would appreciate hearing about new (to them) music.
    of course a search prior to posting is always a good idea, I mean recommending "Sargent Pepper" is a little too obvious.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • beardog03
    edited November 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Very good post Bear. But by the same token we also have to remember how we would like to be treated in this environment.

Some go out of their way to be overly aggressive, belligerent, condesending & rude. This is also wrong.

Nobody should put up with kind of attitude to prove that they are strong enough to be included in this forum.

This is not some kind of sorority house, and hazing of newbies should not be tolerated. It makes the people engaging in this behavior look bad & makes us as a whole look bad in general for allowing it or participating in it.

Instead of a gang jump on a newbie who is trying to up his count, how about politely suggesting that they participate meaningfully to get their count up. If they become belligerant, just ignore them. They will either get the hint & do so or go away.

Polk management obviously feels the same, otherwise the post by Al Ballard would not have been posted.

Tolerance, patience, & respect all go BOTH ways.

That`s pretty much what I just said...!!

for everybody concerned......
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    The difference is your post was aimed at newbies, my post was aimed at us established members.

A lot of the crap could be avoided if people were simply big enough to walk away & ignore it when some yahoo comes strutting on looking for a fight.

You can't get physically hurt on here so there is no need to prove what a tough man/woman you are.

For example the guy who kept calling his Monitor 11's, RTA's, all of the bickering back & forth was simply unnecessary. He isn't the first one to come on here & mix them up & he won't be the last. So he insisted on calling them what Polk called them, big deal, let him.

Polk is the one who got everyone confused on that paticular speaker, it would have been better to just let it drop.

Live & let live.

How's your new Parasound amp Bear?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited November 2007
    Well said after I joined and started asking questions and all I did not even look at my count meter.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited November 2007
    May I make a suggestion...?

No but I will. Everybody quit wasting your time on these trivial matters and look for more pics of Tim Tebow's GF to post in the Babe thread.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    Just have the newbies continue to take the IQ Test I created last year.........

Newbie IQ Test
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited November 2007
    I want a Mr. Polk Mechanical Pencil.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    Just have the newbies continue to take the IQ Test I created last year.........

Newbie IQ Test

Ha ha ha I just did it, very funny.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2007
    Ok we get it. Let's move on.

~J
This discussion has been closed.