6.5" or 6" x 9"?

daleykd
daleykd Posts: 12
edited November 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey Polk fans!

I know nothing when it comes to car audio. I haven't done a car installation in about 7 years and I've lived with stock ever since.

I own a 2000 Chevy Impala (keep in mind it has some crappy stock amp in the trunk, screwed to the top) and according to the Crutchfield website, 6x9's and 6.5's fit. Currently, when my younger brother slightly upgraded the car, he put two 10" subs with an amp and two Sony Xplod (XS-W6920) 6x9's hooked up to a Pioneer GM-X362 200W amp in the rear. The Xplod's crackle if the sound is turned up a little, so currently I have all the sound going towards the front. I'm interested in replacing the rear speakers.

I followed the wiring today, and I don't understand why it was wired the way it was. The inputs come in via RCA from the headunit. One set of inputs goes to the Pioneer 200W for the 6x9s, and the other set goes to the amp for the 10" subs. Then, out of the Pioneer, 4 tiny little wires go from the output back to the head unit.

1. Do they do this so the head unit can control volume, fade, balance, etc.? If not, why do they run the output wires back to the head unit instead of directly to the speakers? Why doesn't the RCA inputs control the volume, fade, balance?
2. Should I get 6x9s or 6.5"s?
2a. If you say I should get 6x9s, is it worth the extra money to get the db651 over the db650?
2b. If you say I should get the 6.5s, the db6501 is cheaper than the db6500. Is the db6501 better?
3. Is the difference between the db6500/6501 and the db650/651 the fact that the 6500/6501 has a crossover and tweeter?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate being uneducated.

Thanks in advance!!
Post edited by daleykd on

Comments

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited November 2007
    Sounds confusions could also explain distortion. If in fact you have a factory amp in the rrunk then all connections should have been made here. Are you sure there is a factory amp? If the connections for the line output converters was made at the radio then I suspect there was no factory amplifier. Anyway what many installers do to save time is extend the factory speaker wire from behind the radio to the new amp location. This way you do not have to run wires into the door and up to the rear speakers. Is this the best way? Absolutely not but it will work. A lot depends on the output power of the amplifier. Most factory speaker wire is only 18 guage. That could explain why you have wires running from the output of the amplifier to the factory radio location. As far as which speakers to go with in your case I would do the 6X9's. The Polk DB691. As far as the other speakers go the DB651 and the DB6501 are new and improved versions of the DB650 and the DB6501. I like the DB6501 and the DB651 versions. You might also want ot have someone check the installation. Even if ti was professionally installed there are tons of inexperienced installers working in the industry today and you would never know it. Especially at the big box retailers. You don't know if you are going to get a guy who has been installing for 10 years or 10 minutes.