Leafblowers.....

shawn474
shawn474 Posts: 3,047
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone have a recommendation on a reasonably priced backpack type leafblower? I have to blow approx. half an acre of heavily wooded yard. NO RAKING!!! I blow them through the back gates of the fence to a wooded area. Need something powerful!

Shawn
Shawn
AVR: Marantz SR-5011
Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
Front: Polk LsiM703
Rear: LSI fx
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
DVD Player: Sony PS4
Post edited by shawn474 on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited November 2007
    Never used a backpack blower, but I bought a regular hand held gas powered Ryobi and it was a piece of crap. Took it back and paid more for an Echo and couldn't be happier. Looks like HD has an Echo backpack for 299 here

I paid 199 for the regular one and think it was worth it.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    I have a recommendation - don't turn it on before 9AM on a weekend.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2007
    Use a broom.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2007
    Kinda hard to beat a Stihl. Everything I've ever used of theirs has always been great quality and long lasting. I think they start out around $350 for a backpack style blower.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    you guys are all rookies in leaf blowing and vacuuming LOL
    this is the only thing that works, and works well. the Black and Decker BV4000 Leaf Hog
    yeah I said HOG! ;)

it's great.. I have 4 hugemongous maples leaves that drop a helluva lotta leaves every fall. this has saved me from raking them up for the past 4 yrs now. i blow them into several large piles.. then I just vacuum them up into 33 gallon plastic bags. then I post the leaves for free pick up on Craigslist and wham. done deal. :):)

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=6216#

this is a newer one than mine.. mine comes with an attachment to attach right to your garbage can. and it mulches the leaves to about 1" small. :D

here is the vacuum bag attachment. http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=2542
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Kinda hard to beat a Stihl. Everything I've ever used of theirs has always been great quality and long lasting. I think they start out around $350 for a backpack style blower.

Ditto....the best.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited November 2007
    Stihl here for 12 years. Weed whacker, leaf blower, chain saw, hedgetrimmer. All used hard and never a break down. Worth the every penny.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    you guys are all rookies in leaf blowing and vacuuming LOL
    this is the only thing that works, and works well. the Black and Decker BV4000 Leaf Hog
    yeah I said HOG! ;)

Only two and a half stars on Amazon.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited November 2007
    We have carried the STIHL brand for over 30 years and couldn't be happier with their products. We also had the B&D BV4000...until too many started coming back for warranty.
    What price range you looking to stay in?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited November 2007
    ninerbj wrote: »
    We have carried the STIHL brand for over 30 years and couldn't be happier with their products. We also had the B&D BV4000...until too many started coming back for warranty.
    What price range you looking to stay in?

Do you work at Stan Houston by any chance? If so, first rate place to do business.

Dave
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited November 2007
    So people really do buy leaf blowers...I'll be damned.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    There's a big different between a bad leaf blower and good one. Avoid homeowner brands.

Echo is about the best bang for the dollar. Their better lines are also quite competitive with other high-end stuff. Good parts support, too.

Stihl and Husqvarna are the two largest players in general outdoor tools. I'd probably prefer Stihl of the two, but that's just me. One downside to Stihl is that you can't get parts online or by mail. Expensive.

The best backpacks are made by smaller companies. Shindaiwa and Redmax. Most lawn services around here use them, along with sampling of the other makes.

Sachs-Dolmar and Solo also make good ones. They're smaller outfits from Europe with fewer dealers in the US.

I'm wondering, how would a push blower work in your situation? Much more oomph and less tiring to use.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    So people really do buy leaf blowers...I'll be damned.

It's a growth industry:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    Avoid homeowner brands.....
    ...if you want to accomplish anything quickly.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited November 2007
    it's great.. I have 4 hugemongous maples leaves that drop a helluva lotta leaves every fall.
    Four whole maple trees? You don't know what leaf cleanup is.:D

I've been very happy with my Echo leafblower. I clean a 1 acre lot, with about 50 trees on it, surrounded by acres and acres of more woods.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited November 2007
    I'm disappointed in y'all. We have a bin and vacuum that goes on the back of our Grasshopper.

'Hopper with metal dump bin

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Echo makes a nice backpack blower.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited November 2007
    Check out the front mount video http://www.grasshoppermower.com/fm_imp_blower.php
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited November 2007
    yeah, been with Stan Houston Equipment for 15 years...how did you know that Dave?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited November 2007
    ninerbj wrote: »
    yeah, been with Stan Houston Equipment for 15 years...how did you know that Dave?

I used to live there from 1985 to 2000 - I still even own a house over by Lincoln HS. Stan Houston is THE FINEST tool store in the country. Good prices, great service, great selection. Above all, a knowledgable staff that understands that 90% of the folks that come in don't know what they don't know and need some expert advice. One of the 10 or so companies that I have ever done business with that I would rate "A+".
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited November 2007
    Stihl sounds like a good investment. My yard is 1/2 to 3/4 acre. Think a backpack is overkill?
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't even consider owning a handheld blower--too much strain on the wrist. Consider a push blower, too.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    Absolutely.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    When your entire yard is covered with trees a handheld is not powerful enough and very tiring to use. I would like to get a backpack blower as it is much easier and less taxing to use. I am going to look at the echo's for now. Stihl is alittle to steep in price.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,
    Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    All the Echos are servicable, but I'd try to get whatever the second step up is. Their parts support really is great. I have a hedge trimmer they made for John Deere in the early '80s and they still stock even the large housing parts for it.