realizing how good your system sounds!

warlocks1
warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I bought one of those Yamaha DSP-800 "surround speakers" with the built in decoders. I couldn't resist. It was $109.00 open box at Best Buy. (MSRP $799.00) I hooked it up and set the calibaration. Hooked it up to my Martin Logan Sub and fired it up. I was pleasently surprised at the sound. I listended for a half hour and watched my young kids dance around. I got used to the sound and decided it was OK. Then I put it away and turned my Elite reciever on with my ML SL3's and played the same music. I was blown away all over again. I snapped back into reality and realized the Yamaha sounded OK, but didn't even compare to a "real" setup. So if you start getting the upgrade bug and already have good equipment, listen to average or below average equipment then go back to your current setup and you will gain a new appreciation and understanding of why you paid all that money for it.
Sometimes we forgot how good our systems sound!
Enjoy what you have. Even though there is always something better, there is always a lot worse.
Post edited by warlocks1 on

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    I remember how good my stuff sounds when people come over and are blown away by the sound, and I'm betting most of the polkies here have better than me.

At our last annual Memorial weekend pool party, the big hitter ended up being the "Eagles Live in Melbourne" on the 50" plasma with the surround going. That was the first time all our friends had seen/heard the new set-up.

We didn't even need to get the pool ready, we didn't need to bother setting up the air hockey table, I even could've bought less beer....... Everyone was into watching the concert.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    I like the reaction in the HT when firstimers think the room is coming apart in action movie scenes :) One that got ALL of us a month or so back was the elevator gunshots in The Departed....its great getting compliments from friends on how good your setup sounds.

The real fun begins when they ask you to help them get that sound in their house ....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    cool thread.. yeah sometimes we spend to much time swapping this or that out, replacing this or that, moving this or that.. just appreciate your hard work and listen to your system and enjoy it!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    I don't!:p
    danger boy wrote: »
    cool thread.. yeah sometimes we spend to much time swapping this or that out, replacing this or that, moving this or that.. QUOTE]
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2007
    The biggest thing recently that put my HT over the top was calibrating it properly. I talked to ED over at SVS and he gave me some straight-up tips on doing it right. You can't do it by ear. My before and after settings were a bit off.

HUGE difference!

So, before you get upgrade-itus, make sure your stuff is setup right first.

John
    No excuses!