Extended warranty on appliances?

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
Yes or No. What do you normally do. I don't do it on electronics but it's been a long time since I bought new appliances. I'll be plunking down over $3K tomorrow for a refer and washer/dryer. The extended warranties (60mo.) are $430 for all 3 combined. These are good appliances that have been rated well.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    If it makes ya feel better I say go for it. Remember that extended warranties are typically negotiable so you might be able to get it for less......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • icehouse1
    icehouse1 Posts: 37
    edited November 2007
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Depends on your personal finances. If any of them totally crapped the bed, could you afford to replace it? If so, I wouldn't do it. If you saved and saved and this is your absolute dream and replacing them would destroy you financially, then get it.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited November 2007
    I never buy them. we bought 10new applicances in the past 1.5 yrs. The reason so many. We bought 6 new one for our old house, sold them with house and just bought a new house in July and bought new applicances. But we never bought xtended anything.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited November 2007
    Appreciate the input folks!
    Brett, thanks...I might check on that negotiation angle.
    jd...yeah, that's kinda where I'm leaning also. I've always hated this extended warranty crap. 'We' pay so much in insurance already just in case something 'might' happen. What a racket.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't unless they want to discount the appliances to make up the difference. Also, make sure if it's prorated or not. DO NOT take the salesmans word on it. Read the warranty. It may take a minute but $430 is $430.