WW2 Bayonet Cleaning Idea's?

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
My grandpa gave me this WW2 Bayonet that was his personal Bayonet during the war. I never really touched it before, but pulled it out tonight, and man... it's covered in rust. This is the Exact Model, and I really want to clean mine up to see if it will sell.

Any idea's on a good knife cleaner, (I've heard WD40 to gun cleaning stuff, but wondered if anyone here had ever cleaned before) both for the blade as well as the handle and scabbard.

Thanks guys!

David
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited October 2007
    My grandad used to always clean his stuff with turtle wax. Don't know how it worked but he told me it takes rust and oxidation off of just about anything.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    CLP + Steel wool. Vintage steel will rust if you breath on it, get used to it and just do periodic cleanup.

I would use the same products you use to store firearms and you'll should be fine. CLP is my choice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited October 2007
    You could always track down some ****'s to stab. That'd probably clean it pretty well. ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2007
    I would make sure the cleaner doesn't have any ammonia, vinegar or alcohol although have never cleaned a bayonet before. Tell me did he ever poke anybody with it?
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2007
    Ya, I'm pretty sure he did. He refuses to talk about it to this day... just says it was bad.

I've heard the Steel wool will scratch up the surface though? Is that true? I heard sandpaper, 220, then 400, 800, 1600 grit to make it shine... but I just wasn't sure if it would really work.

Guess a stop by the hardware store is in order!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    You want to sell it? I'd think I'd wanna keep it.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »

Well it's going for 250+ online... and the sentimental value isn't there, so why keep something that will just collect dust?

I'm in a house cleaning mood over here!!! The speakers are next!! :D Maybe...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »

Me too. Don't sell that. That' a very nice piece of family history for you and your family.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2007
    Too bad the setimental value is not there. I have items from my Grandfather that I would not sell for any, yes any, amount of money.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2007
    SOS if it is not blued.
    Then apply gun oil.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited October 2007
    Don't clean it in any way that will change the finish. You can turn a $250 bayonet into a $50 pretty quickly. Consult with the guys on Bladeforums.com They'll steer you in the right direction.

Any sandpaper will likely harm it, using grades down to 220 will turn it into a $5 prybar.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Put it in a plastic container filled with Coca Cola. Leave it in for atleast half a day....that will remove any rust without the abrasiveness of steel wool/sandpaper, etc.
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited October 2007
    Totally agree with John in MA about cleaning that may change the finish. It is so easy to ruin a valuble piece with well intentioned cleaning! In some circles, alight coat of oxidation (rust) is considered a "patina" and any removal of it would cause it to be less authentic and therefore less valuble. Proceed with caution in this area!
    If you choose to clean the bayonet up I would recommend the LEAST abrasive method that you can find. This would be the finest grade steel wool available at the worst and then move on to gentler abrasives such as crushed walnut shell in a tumbler system or find a shop that can blast ultrafine media such as baking soda at the bayonet to remove the corrosion. A red eraser has helped in a pinch but this is for detail type work and there are many metal polishing agents out there that work extremely well. I like Flitz !
    To get the heavy stuff off I am fond of using PB Blaster or better yet ...CLP as Doro recommended a few posts up above. An old tooth brush and a fine scotchbrite pad are helpful as well. Very heavy corrosion can be dealt with by using NAVAL JELLY.
    Dont worry about the black spots on areas that are visible on the steel, there is nothing that I know of that can reverse that process and it is common in blades that have a high carbon content in them.
    To do this right, you might want to spend the dough to get this properly done but that would eat into your sales...try to sell as is and let the other fellow worry about those details...chances are they probably know what to do if they are willing to drop $250 on an old bayonet.
    I personally would not sell this item but I totally understand the logic of parting ways with something that serves no purpose.
    If you keep the bayonet after getting all the rust removed, do not keep the bayonet in a sheath or its scabbard as this will promote more corrosion.
    A good quality wax (bees wax is my favorite) polished into a nice shine onto the bayonet will help protect the bayonet from further corrosion. Handle the steel as little as possible and always wipe your fingerprints off the steel as the oils in your skin will start the corrosion all over again.
    Good luck!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2007
    Personally I would keep it. The only cleaning that should be done is a light oiling using gun oil to the metal surfaces only, none on the handles. Don't use anything abrasive or as they said prior, you will have a five dollar paper weight to sell. Shiney is bad in collectables.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited November 2007
    Keep it dude. If your grand daddy stabbed a **** with it in the war, it DOES have sentimental value. A couple of hundred bucks is nothing.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2007
    yeah that would be a keeper in my book
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2007
    Ha... some great responses here! Killing ****'s... gotta love it. I know it has sat around for 10 plus years since he gave it to me, and I have pulled it out a few times when I was younger and played with it... but really, for the past 5 years it has sat in my closet and gathered dust.

Beekyman.. thank you for the wisdom offered. I think I will leave the cleaning alone for now, and attempt to sell for a few and see what it brings in.

And really... if an item is just sitting around in your house, collecting dust, never used... why keep it just because it was in the family? Doesn't even make sense to me. Then again... I don't really collect old things.

Cheers!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    And really... if an item is just sitting around in your house, collecting dust, never used... why keep it just because it was in the family? Doesn't even make sense to me. Then again... I don't really collect old things.
    Well, I just hope you don't ever change your mind. You'll never again find a WW2 bayonet that your grandfather used.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2007
    I couldn't do it, no way, no how. Not for just enough to pay the light bill for sure.

Surely you have something else laying around to bring that money if need be. Let it gather dust until your grandfather passes (hopefully a long time from now), and see if you feel the same then.

What a personal peice to have. Me? I'd have it professionally cleaned and mounted in a framed shadow box (with other WW2 items of his? Epaulets, medals?) and pass it down through the generations. A real symbol of sacrifice, honor, and tragedy all wrapped up in one, simple, seemingly insignificant blade.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2007
    Wow you guys make me want to grab a tissue ;)

Never knew everyone here was so sentimental... impressive. I think I should abstain from commenting on this thread any further... I might envoke the wrath of Kahn!!!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited November 2007
    Like Russman said. I have my father's dress blues, The Hawaii dollar bill with all the ports of call written around the border. From San Diego to Japan and back on his carrier. A bag of Japanese money given to one his pilots in Korea when they had to land at a Japanese airfield to repair his canopy. The stories of the typhoon the fleet went through. No way that stuff would leave the family. USS Cabot.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    ohTheHugeManatee.jpg
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I would keep it and pass it on to my....well, I'm not spawning, so perhaps to the next CSI detective that finds it would be a better choice.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    Nightly, I'm curious about something if you don't mind me asking. Was this a trophy of your father's, or was it his actual issued bayonet on the side who carried K98s instead of Garands?
  • MrNightly
    edited November 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    Nightly, I'm curious about something if you don't mind me asking. Was this a trophy of your father's, or was it his actual issued bayonet on the side who carried K98s instead of Garands?

It wasn't my father's, but my Grandfathers. It wasn't a trophy at all... but his issued bayonet. Kinda like my sidearm from the police. It was issued. That is all...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    I'd mount it next to a picture of him building a birdhouse or something.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    Keep it. While you might not care for it, maybe your daughter's children, or their children might appreciate it.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Keep it. While you might not care for it, maybe your daughter's children, or their children might appreciate it.
    Exactly.

If Dad told me he used to have his Granddad's bayonet from WW2 but that he sold it.....:eek:
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2007
    I too would not sell it. Your Grandfather helped protect our way of life with that bayonet. He would probably be horrifed to know that you don't appreciate it or what it represents.

If you really don't want it, try to find a VFW to turn it over to. They most certainly WILL appreciate it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • John in MA
    edited November 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    It wasn't my father's, but my Grandfathers. It wasn't a trophy at all... but his issued bayonet. Kinda like my sidearm from the police. It was issued. That is all...

Thanks for answering. A lot of good men fought in that war on both sides.