I'm and idiot...need help

Options
bdaley6509
bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Well, like a jackass, I totally forgot about the non-common ground issue with my 2.3TL (busy lately playing with the LSI15's) and hooked them up to a pair of Adcom monoblocks w/o an AI-1 interface...2 seconds and 130db later, my amp no longer functions properly. Speakers are ok, and the other monoblock works (thankfully), but one of them just makes a very very loud noise and overloads the speaker drivers the minute it turns on. My question is, would this be an easy fix, or should I have it professionally repaired. Thanks for the help, and lack of flaming responses.
Post edited by bdaley6509 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited October 2007
    Options
    bdaley6509 wrote: »
    Well, like a jackass, I totally forgot about the non-common ground issue with my 2.3TL (busy lately playing with the LSI15's) and hooked them up to a pair of Adcom monoblocks w/o an A-1 interface...2 seconds and 130db later, my amp no longer functions properly. Speakers are ok, and the other monoblock works (thankfully), but one of them just makes a very very loud noise and overloads the speaker drivers the minute it turns on. My question is, would this be an easy fix, or should I have it professionally repaired. Thanks for the help, and lack of flaming responses.

Professionlly repaired and to find a "qualified" reapir person ain't going to be cheap. I assume you are talking about the GFA 565, not just any local repair shop can work on those and repair them properly. They aren't esoteric, but just a different enough (complicated) design that the avg. guy may not have a clue, not to mention the lack of parts. The original output trannies are no longer avail and there are suitable replacements but they need to be correct and matched. I'd do all the output trannies if that's what it turns out to be

Start here

www.diyaudio.com

They have several threads that may give you an idea of what could be wrong and hoepfully a reputable repair center.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Well, like a jackass, I totally forgot about the non-common ground issue with my 2.3TL (busy lately playing with the LSI15's) and hooked them up to a pair of Adcom monoblocks w/o an A-1 interface...2 seconds and 130db later, my amp no longer functions properly. Speakers are ok, and the other monoblock works (thankfully), but one of them just makes a very very loud noise and overloads the speaker drivers the minute it turns on. My question is, would this be an easy fix, or should I have it professionally repaired. Thanks for the help, and lack of flaming responses.

I agree with Heiney9. You won't get any flaming responses from me. I did the same thing twice in the 90's. One was an Adcom and it went back to the factory for repairs. The other was a NAD 2200 which I never got fixed (couldn't find a local repair shop in Kansas City). :mad:

If your not an idiot once in a while, you're not having any fun. Sorry for your loss.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. There's a local shop nearby. I'll give them a call. Marty, how's Pensacola doing? I used to live in Ft. Walton Beach. I slept in a school during hurricane Opal...good times. I really miss the beaches. Central Ohio doesn't have too many of those this time of year.
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. There's a local shop nearby. I'll give them a call. Marty, how's Pensacola doing? I used to live in Ft. Walton Beach. I slept in a school during hurricane Opal...good times. I really miss the beaches. Central Ohio doesn't have too many of those this time of year.

Pensacola is Pensacola (the good & the bad). I grew up here but have lived in Kansas for the last 20+ years and just moved back here. I still feel out of place. I think I'm more of a Midwest fan (Ohio included) than a beach fan. It is nice not having to shovel snow.:eek:

Let us know how the amp repair turns out.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Here is a guy who used to work for adcom and is considered one of the best at working with the GFA-565 amps.

www.thevoorhees.com

My friend just had both his gone through/repaired and the guy did a great job on them. I have a 565 mono powering my Martin Logan Theater center channel and plan on sending it to him for once over eventually (works fine now but due to the age of these amps now it's good to have the caps checked out). Best of luck on getting yours up and running.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I can't give you **** on something I have done, Good Luck.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.